Triathlon or Duathlon training

size

Awards
  • Established
Just wondering if anyone has ever participated in either a triathlon or duathlon?
If so, what was your training protocol?

maggmaster

Awards
  • Established
I trained for an iron man two summers ago, I got injured so i didnt run it but it was essentially a marathon followed by a 10 mile swim followed by a 40 mile bike. It was a bitch to train for and really hard to maintain any mass at all. I dropped down to about 135 lbs and 4% bf. It was rough man.

size

Awards
  • Established
I am expecting it to be rather difficult. I am currently in the process of dropping mass from lots of cardio and much less lifting.

The swim concerns me most.

maggmaster

Awards
  • Established
Its totally different from bodybuilding you eat different think different everythings about can I push myself hard enough to win it really has little to do with being strong. My mantra was always "The human body can do anything if pushed hard enough " I can still run a sub 5 minute mile and swim 100 laps 50 lbs later so the benefits are long lasting.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
Its totally different from bodybuilding you eat different think different everythings about can I push myself hard enough to win it really has little to do with being strong. My mantra was always "The human body can do anything if pushed hard enough " I can still run a sub 5 minute mile and swim 100 laps 50 lbs later so the benefits are long lasting.
That's impressive. A sub 5 mile, not many people can say that.

size

Awards
  • Established
Before I got into bbing, I was an edurance athlete so now I am just completely changing my routines and returning to my old ways.

maggmaster

Awards
  • Established
Yep my best mile ever was down in the 4 min 30 sec range I bet I can do 4 50 right now

rocknroll

Awards
Just ran across the thread...Yes I got into doing triahtlons about 5-6 years ago. I love them but I have trouble balancing tri training with lifting. Obviously sometimes feel counterproductive and feel like I'm cheating one when doing the other. Oh well. I do not compete in them, I complete them. I'm usually in the middle of the pack.

In terms of protocol I only do sprint distance triathlons (1/2 mile swim, 15-20 mile bike, and usually a 5k run at the end. I use a very basic program from a little book called, The Essential Triathlete" and it really just provides a basic skeleton of a program. The author's philosophy is pretty much, "If you can train for X amount of time and you can cycle your training something similar to what I have laid out, you can comfortably complete a triathlon of X length." It is a very laid back approach and I like it. I have 3 kids, I teach and coach middle school, and life is too busy for me to obsess about it. HTH.

I'm wondering if it would be unsafe to train and do a few triathlons this summer while on a cycle of phera plex. My concern is my BP and cholesterol level becoming dangerous to exert such high end extended aerobic energy. Open to thoughts...

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Just ran across the thread...Yes I got into doing triahtlons about 5-6 years ago. I love them but I have trouble balancing tri training with lifting. Obviously sometimes feel counterproductive and feel like I'm cheating one when doing the other. Oh well. I do not compete in them, I complete them. I'm usually in the middle of the pack.

In terms of protocol I only do sprint distance triathlons (1/2 mile swim, 15-20 mile bike, and usually a 5k run at the end. I use a very basic program from a little book called, The Essential Triathlete" and it really just provides a basic skeleton of a program. The author's philosophy is pretty much, "If you can train for X amount of time and you can cycle your training something similar to what I have laid out, you can comfortably complete a triathlon of X length." It is a very laid back approach and I like it. I have 3 kids, I teach and coach middle school, and life is too busy for me to obsess about it. HTH.

I'm wondering if it would be unsafe to train and do a few triathlons this summer while on a cycle of phera plex. My concern is my BP and cholesterol level becoming dangerous to exert such high end extended aerobic energy. Open to thoughts...
My opinion is that I think it is very possible. The hardest part of hormones for me and distance training is a pump that I can't run past. Buy a HR monitor. Train according to your HR. If you are running too high, slow down. Use a little Hawthorn Berry during this time period and K. I would certainly get the Hr monitor is you are considering it. I think you stand a much greater risk to yourself by not doing than by trying. $10 bucks for a cholesterol kit at wally world. I take fish oil year round and my cholesterol is very in check. Thats after doign way to many oral cycles last year. Good luck.

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I can't swim. :sad:

I don't know how the training would work but I do know that Xtend would be part of my supplementation. (I would also add more citrulline malate.)

rocknroll

Awards
My opinion is that I think it is very possible. The hardest part of hormones for me and distance training is a pump that I can't run past. Buy a HR monitor. Train according to your HR. If you are running too high, slow down. Use a little Hawthorn Berry during this time period and K. I would certainly get the Hr monitor is you are considering it. I think you stand a much greater risk to yourself by not doing than by trying. $10 bucks for a cholesterol kit at wally world. I take fish oil year round and my cholesterol is very in check. Thats after doign way to many oral cycles last year. Good luck.
Ahhhhh.....Never thought about using the HRM to keep in check. I'm currently taking Hawthorn Berry but what is K? Also, how much fish oil do you take per day? Thx!

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Biking is nice because you can BLAST past so very very many people :) Then the run comes and you watch people fly by you like you have a FREAKING anchor chained to your azz lol

CROWLER
I wonder if I could make up enough time biking so I could pull off my famous 11 minute mile. haha

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
K=Potassium

rocknroll

Awards
I can't swim. :sad:

I don't know how the training would work but I do know that Xtend would be part of my supplementation. (I would also add more citrulline malate.)
Cool. Never heard of either of them. Will do some searching. Looks like you like the bike...Ya know, because the bulk of a tri is done on the bike, you can build the lead on the bike and "hang on" for the run. Might be worth a "tri." Sorry...that was bad...:blink:

Back to buisiness, gimme a little scoop on these two products you recommend.

Also, have you ever heard of Optygen? I saw it in the local bike shop today and the guy there said he gets alot of repeat customers.

motiv8erJR

motiv8erJR

Awards
  • Established
Size. I used to train for long distance biking and tri's

You need to up your calories from low glycimic carbs if your gonna do this. You didn't say how long of a tri your doing basic ideas. If you 6months to a year out.

6months-yr -- start ridiing long slow rides on your bike for about 2-3 months, gets you cut and builds up your endurance. Plus you ballz get used to that saddle.

run proggressively- I don't know how much you've been running or your stats, but I would start as a walk a mile run a mile and do that till you feel comfortable doing a 5k all at a slight run/jog. Then I can give you more of an idea therre....

SWIMMING--- ***** of all *****es. you baic stroke for a tri is the free style, ie basic front crawl. like the biking. Dont worry about how far you go for the first couple of months, worry more about how long you can stay in the water and keep moving before your muscular ass sinks.... :)

if you can give me and idea of what your training for and some statz I can be more helpful. Like my big bro said, train to a HR moniter. for the first month or two dont train above a HR of 160ish. Then as you progress in everything start adding intervals, they will allow you to gain speed endurance.

let me know, and i will try to help!

~Mk

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Take a class on freestyle stroke. The swim is the segment that is most likely to be done completetly wrong. If you don't take a class (one where they video your stroke is best) there are some sites on the net that discuss proper stroke, and you would propably be suprised by how poor your stroke really is.

size

Awards
  • Established
Well guys, thank you for the input. By the way, I hoped you guys noticed that I started this thread over 2 years ago. :D
My physique changed alot over that time, I am much more agile now.

Last edited:
motiv8erJR

motiv8erJR

Awards
  • Established
Well guys, thank you for the input. By the wya, I hoped you guys noticed that I started this thread over 2 years ago. :D
My physique changed alot over that time, I am much more agile now.

Yeah i noticed.... but I ain't about to tell a mod the reason why I helped drag it up... Plus there are plenty of guys that need advice... :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
p5sky Supplements 36