deadlift reps

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
man, i am confused about deadlift sets. how do we do multiple reps? do you treat each rep like a single? (pretty much stop & re-grip between each rep?) or do we do sort of touch & go's? that will sure as heck wear you out, if you're under tension the whole time. it's like one long ass rep! what is the best method? tia

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I do them as touch-n-go's myself.

ManBeast

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
I do touch-n-go's as well. I believe if your are doing 20's, then you would treat each rep as a single. You might want to check with IA on that.

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
yeah, i was specifically referring to higher rep sets, like 10-20. thanks for the replies dudes

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
What do you guys mean by touch and go's? I just grip the bar through the whole set. As soon as I come down, I have a half/second pause and then go up again. Tension throughout the whole movement is what you're aiming for. Even if its a tiny, tiny, bit at the end of the movement. Slow and controlled, but still with an explosive positive movement and a good stretch for the negative....you're traps will thank you. :)

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
basically - it depends (tm)

the safest route - especially if form is not very well established is to treat each rep as a set in itself. iow, set up very carefully - maintain lordosis etc. whether or not one uses a dynamic or static start.

touch and go's are another option.

a third option is what are called "hopper deadlifts" wherein one basically uses the bounce of the ground to maintain momentum. works especially well with bumper plates. otoh, this does not go over really well in a commercial gym with steel plates. :)

different techniques for different goals or combination thereof (improving start strength, hypertrophy, strength-endurance, etc.)

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I've always seen touch and go. I tend not to anymore. I did the bounce off in the squat cage by putting the safety bars all the way down and bounced off of those without realizing it was going to have so much bounce. Since then I just keep tension throughout.

Seeing as how IA advocates rest pause I'm sure that he would say the same here with a 20 rep dead.

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
there is a difference though.

in 20 rep squats, when one is rest-pausing (so to speak) one's body is under load. iow, you are using a lot of musculature to maintain your position between reps. a LOT. back, legs, traps, calves, etc. etc.

in 20 rep deads if one "rest pauses" there is that fundamental difference where there is NO loading between reps. also, of course with 20 rep squats, one starts with eccentric action whereas with deads (which is why they are so good for start strength) one starts with the concentric portion of the lift.

don't get me wrong. 20 rep rest-pause deads rool. but there is that fundamental difference.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I take it you never read his thread where he suggested racking the bar on 20 rep squats to get a true rest with full breaths.

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
whose thread? regardless, that is one way of doing it. i've never heard of that way, but it would be an interesting variation

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I always do rest-pause and make sure I have a full breath before each lift. I pause for maybe 2 seconds....not long. I don't usually readjust my grip, just enough to set the weight down and get a quick breath. I've seen IA's recommendations on this method also, makes much more sense to me. :)

Trapark666

Trapark666

Awards
I take it you never read his thread where he suggested racking the bar on 20 rep squats to get a true rest with full breaths.
I guess I missed this one too. I have always been under the idea to not rack the bar until the 20th rep. Once you rack it, then the set is over.

Last edited:

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
the prolonged systemic load of having to support the bar for the duration of the set is part of the "magic" of 20 rep squats, imo.

similar to some of the stuff that alexyeev advocated for olympic lifting, to build strength.

i am not saying the racking method would not work, but it does radically change the nature of the exercise.

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
it's a reasonable variation, imo. as i said, i think it has different benefits than the classic 20 rep squat, and is a useful variation. it's better or worse depending on what factors one is training.

Trapark666

Trapark666

Awards
It make sense and he has a valid reason behind racking the bar. The problem with it is that when a weight gets heavy and a person racks it, they aren't going to take 3-5 deep breaths and then start again. The average person will wait no less than 30-40 seconds because psychologically, they just aren't ready to handle the weight again. It would be interesting to see how many lifters can do a true 20 rep rest pause set while being able to rack the bar when they get to the point of failure.