would crossfit be counterproductive for maintaining lean mass for show?

  1. Registered User
    medicone's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    99

    would crossfit be counterproductive for maintaining lean mass for show?


    I'm prepping for first bb show and want to start cutting down. I was just curious if crossfit would be a great addition to add for increased weight loss as well as lean gains. I plan to maintain normal 5 day a week workout regimen but with 3 or 4 crossfit days as well. Basic@ally I would do double sessions on crossfit days. Bad idea? My whole goal is to drop fat and try and maintain as much as possible. I am running test prop with anavar so I know that will help, but what about when I am done with my cycle? Any thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

  2. Registered User
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1090

    it seems like too much to me.
  3. Registered User
    drvinnybombat's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    138
    Rep Power
    133

    I would probably recommend against using crossfit for bodybuilding. The whole concept is based around performance based goals and there are no efforts made for symmetry or to hit the "glamor" muscles. I used t follow the crossfit workouts and I would almost never do crunches, arms, or bench press, so it is NOT a conventional workout. I don't think that conventionalizing crossfit works either, even if it's part of a larger routine. Crossfit is great for almost anything other than bodybuilding.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    codywaters's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Antonio
    Age
    37
    Posts
    124
    Rep Power
    124

    EXTREAMLY COUNTER PRODUCTIVE....
  5. Registered User
    medicone's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    99

    Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate your input
  6. Registered User
    Highlanda01602's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Rep Power
    736

    There are a lot of successful bodybuilders who use CrossFit.

    CrossFit can be broken down into three categories - Constantly varied...functional movement...performed at *high intensity*. It is no secret that HIIT cardio burns fat and spares muscle. In the bodybuilding world, that's a huge plus. CrossFit's conditioning workouts are all. about. intensity. Incorporating CrossFit into your fat loss routine will only be beneficial. It's as simple as applying what you do on the treadmill or eliptical to weight training and bodyweight movements.

    Plus, you'll gain some serious athleticism!

    The key though, if you're interested in mass gains, is not to overdo the conditioning workouts. Too much will likely take away from some of your mass - a well-rounded athlete will not have the shear size of a bodybuilder, and CrossFit full-time will put you at your athletic weight. A few times a week at most, coupled with a modified version of your normal weight routine, IMO, will be great for you.

    There is nothing better for results than intensity... keep that in mind.
  7. Registered User
    medicone's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    99

    Thank you very much. I appreciate the input
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    There are a lot of successful bodybuilders who use CrossFit.

    CrossFit can be broken down into three categories - Constantly varied...functional movement...performed at *high intensity*. It is no secret that HIIT cardio burns fat and spares muscle. In the bodybuilding world, that's a huge plus. CrossFit's conditioning workouts are all. about. intensity. Incorporating CrossFit into your fat loss routine will only be beneficial. It's as simple as applying what you do on the treadmill or eliptical to weight training and bodyweight movements.

    Plus, you'll gain some serious athleticism!

    The key though, if you're interested in mass gains, is not to overdo the conditioning workouts. Too much will likely take away from some of your mass - a well-rounded athlete will not have the shear size of a bodybuilder, and CrossFit full-time will put you at your athletic weight. A few times a week at most, coupled with a modified version of your normal weight routine, IMO, will be great for you.

    There is nothing better for results than intensity... keep that in mind.
  8. Registered User
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Afghanistan
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,262
    Rep Power
    719849

    Crossfit can be utilized, albeit not used as a sole program, but I'm sure we all are aware of that. Here is a link to an article of a guy who had competed, but only after he integrated crossfit into his routine did he win a show. There are arguments up and down on both side of the issues, but the great thing about all this is we can personalize and tailor these things to fit each persons goals as long as proper attention is paid to programming.

    http://journal.crossfit.com/2008/10/...erand-wins.tpl
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  9. Registered User
    medicone's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    99

    Dude you and highlanda are awesome. Thank you so much for your help. It says a lot when people take time to answer your question.
    Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    Crossfit can be utilized, albeit not used as a sole program, but I'm sure we all are aware of that. Here is a link to an article of a guy who had competed, but only after he integrated crossfit into his routine did he win a show. There are arguments up and down on both side of the issues, but the great thing about all this is we can personalize and tailor these things to fit each persons goals as long as proper attention is paid to programming.

    http://journal.crossfit.com/2008/10/...erand-wins.tpl
  10. Registered User
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Afghanistan
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,262
    Rep Power
    719849

    No problem man. You'll find that Highlanda and I tend to be crossfit biased at times in the manner that we both love it. We are both in the military and have found it to be incredibly effective for our goals.

    Good luck with your show
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  11. Registered User
    medicone's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    99

    That's awesome! Both military. I'm prior AF. SSgt, first gulf war vet. I know, I'm old. Did Crossfit this am, then hit shoulders after and I felt great. I also looked up Josh Everett and that guy is amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    No problem man. You'll find that Highlanda and I tend to be crossfit biased at times in the manner that we both love it. We are both in the military and have found it to be incredibly effective for our goals.

    Good luck with your show
  12. Registered User
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Afghanistan
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,262
    Rep Power
    719849

    Quote Originally Posted by medicone View Post
    That's awesome! Both military. I'm prior AF. SSgt, first gulf war vet. I know, I'm old. Did Crossfit this am, then hit shoulders after and I felt great. I also looked up Josh Everett and that guy is amazing.
    That guy can throw so much above his head for his height/weight it's sick. And his endurance just puts me to shame..lol
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  13. Registered User
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1090

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    There are a lot of successful bodybuilders who use CrossFit.

    CrossFit can be broken down into three categories - Constantly varied...functional movement...performed at *high intensity*. It is no secret that HIIT cardio burns fat and spares muscle. In the bodybuilding world, that's a huge plus. CrossFit's conditioning workouts are all. about. intensity. Incorporating CrossFit into your fat loss routine will only be beneficial. It's as simple as applying what you do on the treadmill or eliptical to weight training and bodyweight movements.

    Plus, you'll gain some serious athleticism!

    The key though, if you're interested in mass gains, is not to overdo the conditioning workouts. Too much will likely take away from some of your mass - a well-rounded athlete will not have the shear size of a bodybuilder, and CrossFit full-time will put you at your athletic weight. A few times a week at most, coupled with a modified version of your normal weight routine, IMO, will be great for you.

    There is nothing better for results than intensity... keep that in mind.
    damn good post... the key word here is MODIFED... myself i do a pure powelifting routine, but i eat healthy foods so i stay pretty lean... so i will add bicep work to my PL routine it looks real weird but idont mind the results ... same with you ur gonna have to cut back some of ur training to do crossfit but you just got to find that balance...
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 09:46 AM
  2. Lean Mass/Extreme Mass Ingredients.
    By loofer in forum Custom Capsule
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-27-2009, 12:10 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-03-2009, 05:51 PM
  4. counterproductive or beneficial
    By AnonyMoose in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-23-2007, 03:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in