bodybuilding with scoliosis?

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
I have 33 degree scoliosis. This has caused a rib hump and muscle imbalances in my back and hamstrings. Are there any mass building workouts designed to help this? I can still squat and deadlift. Squats I gotta be careful on but I can deadlift quite a bit despite my size. Most of the logs I've found on this involved females, who weren't really trying to get big. I've been lifting for 2 years, I've been on a 5 month break. Im trying to get back into the swing of things so any advice would be awesome.
Im 22
5 10, used to be 5 11
170 pounds

I can squat 145 with a normal bar no problem. I can go higher with a machine though. I can deadlift about 200 before its a struggle.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
i have no idea what's going to be good for you.
that's terrible scoli. have you seen an Orthopedist? 33 degrees and you're getting shorter? you may need that fixed.

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Nah. I don't have health insurance. It doesn't really hurt at the moment. I've been working on good posture, and I know keeping the back strong helps as well.

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
And I was 5 11 in highschool. So I lost an inch in 5 years. That whole 5 years was bad posture and no exercise.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
I would go to StrengthMill and ask Mark Rippetoe in the Q & A section for some guidelines.

bengelha

Awards
I have had a broken L-5 since high school football. Isthmus Spondiliolysthesis I believe.

I sat on a block of wood in my truck for the last 8 years. Got some good core training from grafston guy.

I deadlift and squat nervously and I was told to never do either.

bengelha

Awards
For my issue i was told the ligaments are what is holding me together so keep lifting carefully.

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Well, im wondering how bodybuilding could even out my muscles, and with enough muscle density, keep my spine from getting worse?

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
I did a quick pubmed and google search:
exercise didnt help:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20118843?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=2
brace and exercise didnthelp
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20120640?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=1

most articles i read said exercise will not make it better or worse. i still think you need to find a good spine surgeon and get on a treatment plan whatever it may be. good luck.