Growth Stimulus Training Unveiled

2020Wellness

Awards
Good Morning everyone,

First off, I'd like to introduce myself and GST with an excerpt from a book I'm working on:

"My name is Ryan, and throughout the last decade, I have progressed and transformed myself from a 135 pound weakling to a respected figure in the gym weighing in at over 200 pounds on an ectomorph frame. My first four years of training were misguided and without direction. I had no plan, and I regret that to this day. I see those first four years as wasted time! If I could change my initial years of training, I would go back and search out an experienced mentor as to avoid any wasted time and effort.
The six years to follow were different. My training evolved through research, trial and error, and consistency paired with dedication. My nutritional habits completely changed. I was eating with purpose and reason. I became entrenched in the gym and discovered it to be my true passion in life. It had become my personal mission to reach my goal of obtaining a muscular 200 pound physique. I paid my dues and put in my time. I spent countless hours of pain and stress under the iron learning which lifts provided the best growth stimulus. I discovered the manner in which to perform those lifts for long term progression and how to piece them together to form a fully functioning training routine. I was in it to win it, and still am today. You see, when you find your passion, you never lose focus of it. You learn everything about it and you eventually want to pass that knowledge on to others who are developing your same passion. You search for those people and do everything you can to help them.
I turned my passion into a career, which I highly recommend doing, and with my wife, founded 2020 Wellness. Through 2020, I have had the opportunity to change people's lives by helping them reach their training goals. Of course, by training hundreds of clients, I had the opportunity to test out my routine on others besides myself. This is very important, because I discovered that clients responded very well to numerous variations of my routine. These clients ranged in age from 14 to 80 years old and consisted of both males and females.
My routine worked, and I named it Growth Stimulus Training, or GST. GST is my most prized creation to date, and I firmly believe I've devised something special with this program, which is why I have made it available to you! I want you to be able to stop wasting time. Now you can use my methods for your benefit without spending years searching to discover them for yourself.

GST Versus the Masses
A training program will only be effective if it is centered around proven and tested foundational concepts. I'm not talking about concepts that look pretty on paper and use fancy wording in their description to seem important and revolutionary. I'm talking about concepts that flat out work! I'm talking about concepts that have proven the test of time in gyms around the world. Too many programs today try to be different and new, which is where they go wrong. These programs lose sight of what it really takes to build strength and gain size. When it comes to these programs, smart training takes a back seat to flashy titles, sales geared terminology, and ridiculous result claims.
Look, if a program claims to add more than a few pounds of muscle mass in less than a month, that program's creator has made a false claim for the sake of sales and marketing. I despise those people, and view them as con artists trying to make a quick buck. I'm simply not a man that believes in that behavior, and I loathe any person that does. I refuse to operate in that manner, and you can be confident that I do everything I can to provide you with the highest quality information I'm capable of producing!
I am comfortable with my claims and am confident in telling you that, by using GST, you will be anxious and excited for your workouts, gain strength in a realistic and steady manner, provide your body with the stimulus needed to produce new muscle mass, and learn what it takes to construct a well rounded training program around your goals.
Why am I confident in my claims? My personal well being, along with the well being of my family is based on whether or not my clients get results. No results equals no clients, and I'm booked year round with clients that are using GST! I've experienced the effects of GST, my clients have experienced the effects of GST, and now you're about to experience the effects of GST as well! Train hard and I wish you the best with your GST experience!"

I was inclined to put this thread into the workout journals section, but I feel that it is more suitable for the workout programs section. I'm going to be posting up some information on my GST program that I use for trainees looking to ramp up their strength levels and gain size as well. I've seen numerous male and female trainees increase their strength levels while continuously adding to their bodyweight with new muscle.

This is a fun, detailed, and educating program that provides you the opportunity to set some type of personal record with every workout. You'll be able to stay in this program mentally, which is a major positive when training!

I'm going to start out with the general layout of the program. I am a firm believer in training systematically, using guided numbers and percentages to stay on track and prolong progress. Therefore, you will hear me talking about 1 rep maxes, estimated maxes, and percentages of those max lifts.

I believe that in order to prolong success, one must not come close to burning out! The closer you get to burnout, the quicker your progress timeline will come to an end. GST is not a high volume routine, and it is not for those looking to hit the weights on a daily basis.

The program runs on a 4 workout cycle. Each workout focuses on a core lift, which is a compound lift. I will never tell anyone to put the majority of their gym time into isolation movements. That is simply not how its done when you have strength and size in mind. As the program progresses, the intensity works up on the core lift, while the reps work their way down. This isn't revolutionary, but it works, so I'm not going to try and come up with something that sounds fancier, but doesn't provide long term progression.

There are two to three supplement lifts that follow the main core lift. These lifts can be varied as well, just not week to week. Once you choose your supplement lifts, you will be sticking with them for the duration of a minimum of one program cycle. Your sets and reps will vary on these lefts on a biweekly basis. I have experienced myself, and seen the benefits of set/rep scheme variation on others. Alternating through multiple set/rep schemes increases your progression timeline almost indefinitely. This is a concept that I include in nearly all of my programs, because I see it's benefits on a daily basis in my training sessions.

In terms of the core lift, when focusing on a certain movement for a prolonged period of time, you better believe in that movement. You better like doing it, and you better feel good about your execution of that movement. For those reasons, the selection of core lifts is not limited to one per area of the body. As an example, you are not stuck with barbell back squats. You may choose from multiple squat movements such as front squats, back squats, zercher squats, box squats, or even leg press or lunges if you are just not confident with your squats. You'll notice that these are all compound lower body movements. You won't see anything like leg extensions or leg curls in that list......they just don't belong.

I'll be outlining more program concepts shortly, including exercise choice, program layout, workout scheduling, and other necessities to execute this program.

Stay tuned and feel free to let the questions fly!

I want to note that I am genuinely passionate about this program and am on a mission to get it in front of 1000s of athletes. I have posted this message on another forum as well. You will be able to learn GST basics through this thread without having to purchase anything.

2020Wellness

Awards
I also feel it is important for people to put a face and physique to a name if they are going to take their advice seriously. For this reason I'm including a couple of videos of my training at home as part of my GST program.

GST Pull Training Highlights
Bodyweight Pullups and 105lb DB Rows

GST Lift Training Highlights
500lb Deadlift Attempt

2020Wellness

Awards
Workout Scheduling

GST runs on a 4 workout cycle, and there is a recommended 24 hour recovery period between workouts. Now, if you find that you are only able to hit the gym on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, for example, hitting two days in a row is OK. GST takes this into account by avoiding any muscle overlap. If necessary, it is OK to work 2 days in a row, but not 3.

My personal recommendation:
Day 1: ON
Day 2: OFF, Stretch your entire body and Foam Roll after 15-30 minutes of mild cardio
Day 3: ON
Day 4: OFF, Perform a few full body complexes with no more than 1/4 of your bodyweight added to the lifts. Follow the complexes with stretching and foam rolling of your problem areas.
Day 5: ON
Day 6: OFF
Day 7: ON
Day 8: OFF
Day 9: Repeat Day 1
Essentially you're looking at an 8 day split with this option. This option provides you with a 50/50 split between work and rest. This split works well for those participants that are able to hit the gym any day of the week.

If you want to keep your days of the week identical from week to week and have your nutrition in check, along with plenty of training experience under your belt, you'll have to go with this 7 day split.
Day 2: ON
Day 3: OFF, Stretch your entire body after 15-30 minutes of mild cardio
Day 4: ON
Day 5: OFF, Perform a few full body complexes with no more than 1/4 of your bodyweight added to the lifts. Follow the complexes with stretching and foam rolling of your problem areas.
Day 6: ON
Day 7: OFF
Day 8: Repeat Day 1
This split will be for those of you that don't have the flexibility of hitting the gym any day of the week. You will be more proned to taking deload periods with this split, as the amount of recovery days is lessened. This adds up over time, but you are still resting nearly as much as you're working.

If you want to keep your days of the week identical from week to week and feel that you are the type of person who is easily overtrained, you'll have to go with this 7 day split.
Day 2: OFF, Stretch your entire body after 15-30 minutes of mild cardio
Day 5: OFF, Perform a few full body complexes with no more than 1/4 of your bodyweight added to the lifts. Follow the complexes with stretching and foam rolling of your problem areas.
This schedule provides you with more rest than work, allowing for maximum recovery and progression time.

Above you have multiple options on how to approach your GST program. I feel that setting up your workout schedule is the first step in approaching a program the correct way.

More to come on exercise selection........

2020Wellness

Awards
Core Lift Exercise Selection

It is my experience that one must try and keep their body in a state of recovery at all times. Once the body comes out of this state, you are not taking advantage of the benefits of nutrient partitioning and you will begin to fade in your progress.

In order to stay in a state of recovery, you must cause your body enough stress and trauma to initiate and maintain the recovery process for a solid 24-72 hours. This requires intense lifting with heavy loads. It requires controlled movements, focusing on explosiveness through the positive motion and deliberate 'loading of the spring' through the negative motion. Imagine that you're tearing and stretching as you lower the weight and then recoiling from that stretch as you lift the weight.

When choosing your core lifts, you should think about what the body is designed to do. You are designed to press, pull, lift, and squat. You want to use exercises that allow you to overload your body with weight as much as possible.

Press Compound Exercise Selection:
Flat BB Press
Incline BB Press
Military BB Press
Smith Flat BB Press
Smith Incline BB Press
Smith Military BB Press

It is clear to see that the barbell is the weapon of choice here. I have yet to meet anyone that can press the same amount of weight with dumbbells as they can with a barbell. For this reason, the barbell is superior. This doesn't mean you can't use dumbbells in your GST program, it just means you can't use them as part of your core pressing lift.

I have listed smith machine lifts because they are still effective at building strength, while being on the safer side if a spotter is not present. It is a definite possibility that you lift alone. If there isn't a squat rack available to you as a self spotter, then the smith machine is your best bet.

My personal recommendation is the Incline BB Press. This exercise effectively hits the triceps, delts, and pecs while still allowing you to move some heavy poundage.

Squat Compound Exercise Selection:
BB Back Squat (Wide, Medium, or Narrow Stance)
BB Back Box Squat (Wide, Medium, or Narrow Stance)
BB Front Squat (Wide, Medium, or Narrow Stance)
Leg Press, (Wide, Medium, or Narrow Stance)
Smith BB Back Squat (Wide, Medium, or Narrow Stance)
Smith BB Back Box Squat (Wide, Medium, or Narrow Stance)
Smith BB Front Squat (Wide, Medium, or Narrow Stance)

I do suggest doing your best to choose a non-smith option with your squats. I feel that balance and stability is important when squatting, and the smith will take away your stimulus to build and improve on those skills.

A movement like a squat is much more 'full body involved' than a simple press, and limiting the squat to a perfectly straight up and down motion isn't as natural as a free stance version.

But, once again, the smith variations are there if you need them due to your personal situation.

Pull Compound Exercise Selection:
Pull Up (Close or Medium Width Grip)
Chin Up (Close or Medium Width Grip)
Multi Grip Pull Up (Medium Grip)
Bent BB Row
Self Braced Standing DB Row

All of these pulling movements involve you to stabilize yourself throughout the movement. For example, it would be easy enough to toss in the seated cable row in place of the bent barbell row, but then you lose your self stabilization requirement. You are seated on a bench rather than using your body so support the entire load of the exercise. Remember, maximum stress is the goal with your core lifts!

These exercises are all big compound lifts that require plenty of focus and form. Perform them correctly to reap the benefits!

Lift Compound Exercise Selection:
Conventional BB Deadlift (Can be performed from a deficit)
Sumo BB Deadlift (Can be performed from a deficit)
Rack BB Deadlift from Just Below the Knee
Romanian BB Deadlift

Selection is slim here due to the nature of the motion. You are simply lifting weight from the floor, aiming to stress the posterior chain to the max. This exercise will more than likely be the one which allows you to stress your body with the heaviest load. Nearly everyone I know can deadlift more than they can squat, pull, or press.

Whichever exercise you choose for your core lift in each category, make sure you are a fan of the exercise and feel confident that you can dominate it on a weekly basis.

Up next, supplement lift selection.......

2020Wellness

Awards
Supplement Lift Selection

It doesn't take a professional to know that more than one exercise can be done to promote strength and growth in the same area of the body. This is where supplement lifts come into play. Think about supplement lifts as you think about supplements for nutrition. Supplements work when you have the fundamentals in place, but they are not meant to replace the fundamentals!

My supplement lift choosing will tend to stray away from isolation lifts, as I still believe in getting the most bang for your buck on each lift you perform in a workout. This is a not a program that involves a high number of different exercises. Therefore, each one must be of value to you.

Press Training Supplement Lift Selection
Flat DB Press
Incline DB Press
Decline DB Press
Dips
Close Grip Flat BB Press
Military DB Press
BB Push Press
Incline DB Flyes
Pushup Variations
BB High Pull

These lifts are all going to put focus on gaining strength and size in the Pec/Delt/Tricep complex. Many of these moves could just as well be used for the core lifts, but once again, none of these lifts can be loaded with the capacity that a barbell press can be loaded with. Dips are an exercise that could be loaded heavy, but they do not allow you to work on your pressing form, which is why they aren't a core lift option.

You can see that movements like shoulder flyes, cable flyes, tricep extensions, and the pec deck are left out of the equation. These movements do not allow for sufficient loading, leaving much to be desired in terms of adaptive stress on the body.

Squat Training Supplement Lift Selection
Walking BB or DB Lunge
Reverse BB or DB Lunge
Bulgarian BB or DB Split Squat
Low and Close Stance Leg Press
High and Wide Stance Leg Press
Single Leg Press
BB or DB Front Squat
Hack Squat
Hack Squat w/ BB
Belt Squat

Squat supplement lifts are designed to activate all/most of the prime movers of the squat. Many of these movements mimic the leg movement involved in squatting, strengthening and further stressing the body, causing adaption in the form of strength and size increases.

You're not going to see leg extensions, sissy squats, or other isolation movements in this category. Once again, they are not quality compound movements when loading the body with heavy weight is the goal.

Pull Training Supplement Lift Selection
Flat Bench DB Row
Close Grip Seated Cable Row
Medium Grip Seated Cable Row
T Bar Row
Close Grip Lat Pulldown
Medium Grip Lat Pulldown
Rack Chin Up
Rack Pull Up

Many of these lifts are just less 'involved' versions of the core lifts. They don't allow for as much weight as the core lifts, but you can still load them sufficiently enough to put the body under some serious stress. Many of these take some of the stabilization effects away, since you are seated or supported by equipment. This is why they are not core lifts.

I don't like to see wide grip pulling movements here, as they will drastically decrease the amount of weight that will be used when compared to a medium or close grip variation of that same pull.

Lift Training Supplement Lift Selection
Deficit Conventional Deadlift
Deficit Romanian Deadlift
Deficit Sumo Deadlift
Cable Pullthrough
Reverse Crunch
BB Good Morning
Glute Ham Raise w/ or w/o Pushup Assistance
Romanian BB or DB Deadlift
Hyperextension
Roman Chair

These lifts are definitely going to add to the strength and form of your core lift. These movements can be loaded sufficiently and will easily provide stress to your body for those adaptions to take place. These movements high accentuate the muscles of the posterior chain, which is where you derive your lifting power from.

Next up, how to put together a split with your core lift and supplement lift choices......

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Definitely subbed on this!

2020Wellness

Awards
Split Building and Scheduling

I've already discussed the basic ON/OFF layouts for this split. These layouts are going to be used when putting together your actual lifting schedule.

I'm going to talk about the order of the four workouts more than anything, as it carries over to all of the different ON/OFF setups. No matter which you choose, the foundational order of your workouts will remain the same!

This order will be:
1. Squat
2. Pull
3. Lift
4. Press

Now, keep in mind that this rotation doesn't have to start with squatting on Monday, you can start with 1, 2, 3, or 4, but you should stick to this rotation once you choose your starting point.

Lets up a sample lifting schedule together!

I prefer to open the week with a big day. I'm rested, I'm focused, and I'm not part of the crew who proclaims that Monday is international bench press day. In other words, the squat rack is mine!

Workout 1: Squat Training
Core Lift: Barbell Front Squat
Supplement Lift 1: Walking BB Lunge
Supplement Lift 2: Single Leg Press

Now, this day is going to be very tough, and I might say that you can add in some extra special focus work if you'd like(calves, abs, forearms), but I'd shy away from it on a day like Squat Training Day. This day is bound to leave you in a mess!

Workout 2: Pull Training
Core Lift: Multi Grip Pullup
Supplement Lift 1: Flat Bench DB Row
Supplement Lift 2: Close Grip Seated Cable Row

With this exercise selection, I am getting plenty of bicep work, along with big back building compound movements. This is an awesome set up for really growing thicker from front to back, all while building some big peak biceps and forearms. Keepin it compound once again!

Workout 3: Lift Training
Core Lift: Conventional BB Deadlift
Supplement Lift 1: BB Good Morning
Supplement Lift 2: Cable Pullthrough

You can't go wrong with the king, the deadlift! Follow up those big deads with a good stretching/loading movement of the posterior chain and your golden. Take it another step further and smash the glutes(the biggest muscles in your body) with some pullthroughs. You're going to have a fried and stimulated posterior chain from solid compound lifts that will soon be able to lift some serious tonnage!

Workout 4: Press Training
Core Lift: Incline BB Press
Supplement Lift 1: Dips
Supplement Lift 2: Flat DB Press

Using the incline as a core lift will really allow you build up that chest shelf that everyone wants. You'll stimulate delt growth as well without dedicating an entire core lift to an overhead press. Dips will bring out the biggest muscles in your upper arms, the triceps, along with providing you with a great active pec stretch. Flat DB press will then allow you to hone in on your chest and tris for the finishing touch. Once again, all big compounds, you can't go wrong!

What I've laid out is just one example of how to set up a lifting schedule. There are many core lift and supplement lift choices, but you can see how I had specific reasoning in mind when choosing my lifts. Everybody is different and everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. Be smart with your exercise choices an reap the benefits!

The next topic will center around rep and set selection of the supplement lifts.......

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Very interesting. Subbed for future reading.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
if i may suggest, though obviously optional - i noticed that i expanded my entire shoulder girdle from doing heavy, wide grip smith upright rows - like pinkies on the rings. its almost as if doing these gave me more room to grow, if that makes sense.

regardless, good info so far, and i agree that the compound movements are the only way an ecto will bulk effectively.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
i'm subbed too. this looks good. maybe i didn't read close enough, but i didn't see any rep ranges?

2020Wellness

Awards
if i may suggest, though obviously optional - i noticed that i expanded my entire shoulder girdle from doing heavy, wide grip smith upright rows - like pinkies on the rings. its almost as if doing these gave me more room to grow, if that makes sense.

regardless, good info so far, and i agree that the compound movements are the only way an ecto will bulk effectively.
The barbell highpull will be your choice then :) More stabilization required means more muscle throughout the body being activated. Its in the list for press supplements.

Thanks again!

2020Wellness

Awards
Supplement Lift Rep and Set Selection

One of the biggest 'lightbulb going off' moments of my training career was when I realized that in order to make the most constant and reliable strength and size gains possible, I needed to start varying the number of sets and reps I did each workout. This is a very important statement, and if you don't realize how important it is, then you've probably not experienced what varying these things can add to your progression.

I'm not talking about switching up your exercises each workout, I'm talking about the reps and sets only. Any program worth anything is going to have you performing the same exercise selection for multiple workouts. The program will also have multiple workouts focused on multiple goals and aspects of training(strength, power, size, conditioning, etc.)

With GST, you've got 4 workouts, which you are going to be repeating for a bare minimum of 4 times through. Ideally, you will repeat multiple cycles of GST in a row. It is actually designed to be the only program you'll really ever need. I haven't discussed how the core lifts progress throughout each 4 week period yet, so I'm not going to talk about those right now.

The focus here is the supplement lifts. Like I said, you'll be running those same supplement lifts at least 4 workouts in a row. Now, you could just use something generic like 4x6 or 3x12 for your supplement lifts each time you perform them. However, if you remember my opening statement, you'll know that I will have no part in that!

I am going to recommend that you run two rep/set schemes if you are going to be using the same supplements for 4-8 weeks. These are as follows:

Scheme 1: 3 to 4 sets x 8-10 reps
Scheme 2: 2 to 3 sets x 15-20 reps

I chose 8-10 reps because this is a solid number of reps to lift fairly heavy with, while not overly stressing your nervous system and joints. You will be doing plenty of heavy, stressful work with your core lifts. Let's keep the heavy stuff away from your supplements! Scheme 1 will allow you to progress in strength and size while still being able to focus on form and technique.

I chose 15-20 reps because I believe that conditioning is a big part of being able to push yourself through tough workouts. Also, the build up of lactic acid in the muscles has been shown to spark an increase in Growth Hormone, which is always a positive!

Scheme 2 requires a lighter load, but I have seen many clients benefit from lifting in this rep range. They show quality increases in size, along with plenty of mental toughness, which is priceless in the gym.

The amount of feeling you'll have in your targeted muscle groups will also aid in building up your mind muscle connections. The more you can feel what you're working with Scheme 2, the more you can think about your muscles and imagine them flexing and growing.

Scheme 2 is not the most commonly used method in training programs, but in my opinion, it has tons of benefits that many programs don't aim to touch on.

One major concept you'll notice in the two schemes is that there is the opportunity to adjust the number of sets based on how you are feeling that day. Like before, I don't give the opportunity to change the workouts up completely, but there is the option for some amount of variation. Not everyday is your best day, and I feel that overdoing it on those days that you feel weak is a big mistake.

If you are feeling mighty, go with the larger number of sets. If you feel gassed, go with the smaller number of sets.

Alright, so you now know the schemes and their reasonings. I'm not going to lay out what that would look like in action.

I'm going to take our same previous lifting schedule and add in the schemes below.

Week 1

Supplement Lift 1: Walking BB Lunge, 3-4x8-10
Supplement Lift 2: Single Leg Press, 3-4x8-10

Supplement Lift 1: Flat Bench DB Row, 3-4x8-10
Supplement Lift 2: Close Grip Seated Cable Row, 3-4x8-10

Core Lift: Conventional BB Deadlift,
Supplement Lift 1: BB Good Morning, 3-4x8-10
Supplement Lift 2: Cable Pullthrough, 3-4x8-10

Supplement Lift 1: Dips, 3-4x8-10
Supplement Lift 2: Flat DB Press, 3-4x8-10

Week 2

Supplement Lift 1: Walking BB Lunge, 2-3x15-20
Supplement Lift 2: Single Leg Press, 2-3x15-20

Supplement Lift 1: Flat Bench DB Row, 2-3x15-20
Supplement Lift 2: Close Grip Seated Cable Row, 2-3x15-20

Core Lift: Conventional BB Deadlift,
Supplement Lift 1: BB Good Morning, 2-3x15-20
Supplement Lift 2: Cable Pullthrough, 2-3x15-20

Supplement Lift 1: Dips, 2-3x15-20
Supplement Lift 2: Flat DB Press, 2-3x15-20

There is an alternating pattern which takes place weekly, as you can see. This pattern should be used throughout the duration of your GST program!

The next topic will include the concepts behind the core lift set and rep schemes.......

2020Wellness

Awards
Core Lift Rep and Load Schemes

The core lifts are the most important part of this program, and they should be treated with plenty of respect and understanding. You need to know your form on the lifts. You need to know why you chose the lifts. You need to understand which muscles are working during the lifts and why those muscles are working as well.

I commonly tell a client to perform a set of an exercise while signing the ABCs in their head. Then I tell them to perform another set while highly concentrating on the lift at hand. They report a big difference between the two sets, and I can see the difference as well. One set is simply going through the motions without respecting form or their functioning muscle groups. The other set is training!

Get to know your core lifts, and you will benefit!

The core lifts are going to be running on a schedule that will increase in load and decrease in reps throughout a 4 week period. Each week will have one thing in common though; the final set of the core lift will be a no holds barred type of set. This is a great way to incorporate a feeling of anxiousness and suspense into your daily workouts.

How many reps can you handle?

How hard can you push yourself?

Can you stay focused on form through a time of mental stress?

These are thoughts that many training programs don't encourage, which is a major disadvantage to you.

My rep and load schemes aren't designed to be a struggle to complete. They are designed to allow you to reach them at a medium/high level of struggle. I don't want all of your core working sets to drain you. I want you to feel good about them, reaching your goals for the day, being mentally satisfied, and then hitting that final set with everything you've got in the tank!

This will not only be good for your ego, but it will cut down on nervous system fatigue and overtraining syndrome. You might feel like you could go heavier sometimes with your initial core sets, but remember, you are on a schedule that is set up for long term progression. Trust in the schedule, destroy the final set, and know that you just put yourself one workout closer to your next goal!

Time to get down to the nitty gritty and get some numbers out in the open!

It is my philosophy that if you aren't using any set number goals in your program, you aren't maximizing your results. I'm not talking about just saying you want to bench 300. I'm talking about laying out a plan to get you there! This plan should be able to give you a timeline and you should know what you are going to be pushing during each workout on your road to that 300 pound bench. That is where using percentages of your 1 rep max comes in.

For those that don't know, a 1 rep max is the amount of weight that you can lift for 1 rep on any particular exercise. The 1 rep max can be estimated or determined through actual attempts in the gym.

Here is the method I'd like you to use when estimating your one rep max:

Step 1. Perform 3-10 warm up sets of your core lift to be estimated. These sets should gradually increase in weight until you begin to find it difficult to complete more than 4-6 reps.

Step 2. Once you reach that 4-6 rep weight point, take 3-4 minutes of rest.

Step 3. Complete one more set at the 4-6 rep weight. This set should be done to failure. Remember how many reps you were able to complete and how much weight was being used, as you will be using this number to estimate your 1RM.

Step 4. Use for following formula to estimate your 1RM:

1RM = ((Reps completed x 0.0333333) + 1)) x Weight used

Say you used 225lbs on your bench press and you completed 6 reps. You would determine your 1RM as follows:

Multiply 6 by 0.0333333, which equals 0.199

Add 1 to 0.199, which equals 1.199

Multiply 1.199 by 225, which equals 269.99

You can see that the 1RM is estimated to be 270 pounds. This is a simple formula, and if you have trouble with it, just ask someone to help you or you can personally contact me as well.

Alright, thats half the battle. The second half is using your 1RM to determine how much to lift with your core lifts each cycle.

Here is the schedule:

Cycle 1: 3 sets of 8 reps @ 60-70% of your 1RM. The 3rd set with AMRAP.

Cycle 2: 3 sets of 6 reps @ 70-80% of your 1RM. The 3rd set with AMRAP.

Cycle 3: 3 sets of 4 reps @ 80-90% of your 1RM. The 3rd set with AMRAP.

Cycle 4: 3 sets of 1 rep @ 90-100% of your 1RM. The 3rd set with AMRAP.

AMRAP = As Many Reps As Possible

I personally recommend using a 60%, 70%, 80%, 90% schedule if you are new(1-2 years of serious training) to training.

If you are have been training seriously for 2-8 years, you should use a 65%, 75%, 85%, and 90% schedule.

If you have been training for over 8 years, you should use a 70%, 80%, 90%, and 100% schedule.

Now, the AMRAP sets serve another purpose as well. You can use them to keep tabs on how your 1RM is progressing. If you really wanted to, you could estimate your 1RM each time you perform your core lift. However, if you do this, that does not mean that you adjust your 1RM each time you check it! You can check it, but do not change your 1RM in the middle of a cycle.

I personally recommend estimating your 1RM based on your 4th cycle only. This will give you the most accurate estimate, as the lower the rep number used in your estimate, the more accurate it will be.

OK, so you've completed your first 4 workouts with each core lift. Now what? How do you proceed? My next topic will cover just that.........

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm def going to have to read over this quite a bit. Really want to grasp everything, but I am going to try this for sure. Not sure if you'll touch on it, but I'll need to find the best place to incorporate various cardio and by various I mean HIIT to endurance runs. I will be running a half marathon in May and intended to run a full towards the latter part of the year. So I will be looking to do more than just an easy 15 min on an elliptical.

2020Wellness

Awards
Hitting Your Second and All Further Macrocycles

I want to clear up some terminology before I get started with the next topic. I am going to use the terms microcycle and macrocycle in my future postings.

Microcycle will define the completion of your 4 workouts one time through. This will either take 7 or 8 days, depending on the schedule you choose.

Macrocycle will define the completion of 4 microcycles. This will take 28 or 32 days, depending on the schedule you choose.

As I left off before, what happens when you complete your first macrocycle?

Upon completing your first macrocycle, you are left with a few things. You have a feeling of strength and accomplishment. You also have all the information you need to make a prediction on your current and increased 1RM for each of your core lifts. These numbers are very important, as they predict the weights you will be using for your next macrocycle!

Everyone is going to gain strength at different paces, depending on their training experience. Typically, the more experience one has, the harder it will be for one to gain strength. This program takes that into account, and doesn't require that you automatically bump up your 1RMs by a set amount each time you complete a macrocycle. This is a great concept, and it makes the program much more personalized, which is one of my ultimate goals. I want this program to be useful for everyone, and it is!

Now that you've figured your 1RMs for each core lift, simply plug the new numbers into the percentage schedule you're using and you're on your way to another macrocycle! In terms of changing your core lifts, I feel that you should only change your core lift if you are getting bored, demotivated, or aren't gaining strength with your chosen core lift. You need to be mentally and physically in the game with these lifts! If you're not, move onto something that you can feel stronger with and better about.

Of course, at this time, you can change up some of your supplement lifts if you aren't feeling good about your current selections. If you like your current selections, then keep them around and continue to blast away with them! I personally recommend keeping the same supplement lifts for no more than 3 macrocycles.

The program is almost fully outlined, but I need to go over a few more things.

Explosive core lift priming and other fine details......

2020Wellness

Awards
I'm def going to have to read over this quite a bit. Really want to grasp everything, but I am going to try this for sure. Not sure if you'll touch on it, but I'll need to find the best place to incorporate various cardio and by various I mean HIIT to endurance runs. I will be running a half marathon in May and intended to run a full towards the latter part of the year. So I will be looking to do more than just an easy 15 min on an elliptical.
You can incorporate cardio on your off days, but just know that it might affect your recovery time in a negative way. HIIT will hurt you more than an endurance session will.

Something like this is very personal and can't be outined very well when making a program. There will always need to be variations for all the different types of people out there, and making sure your variations are smart is the key.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You can incorporate cardio on your off days, but just know that it might affect your recovery time in a negative way. HIIT will hurt you more than an endurance session will.

Something like this is very personal and can't be outined very well when making a program. There will always need to be variations for all the different types of people out there, and making sure your variations are smart is the key.
Yeah, I'll def need to have at least 1 complete day off, though I would prefer 2. Especially if I am going to be completing runs of upwards to 10-18 miles at times. I can integrate 2 a days at times, but need to be careful not to over tax myself.

2020Wellness

Awards
good info. so no direct/isolation bi or tri work.
Can of worms opening.......its not necessary :) Look at my avatar, do you think I need to do more isolation work?

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Can of worms opening.......its not necessary :) Look at my avatar, do you think I need to do more isolation work?
If you were training to be a bodybuilder than yes I would say your body needs a lot of work. Calves/legs especially,Shoulders/Tris second. It is a good program that can be adjusted to suit as a mass/strength builder as it incorporates the big 3. Although most programs can utilize those, vary and be productive. I am glad it had worked for you, I also use something similar but have tailored it to suit my own goals. I'm sure this will help a lot of beginners. :ninja:

PS Good Form on those Front Squats, easy for ya, Now add some more weight!

2020Wellness

Awards
PS Good Form on those Front Squats, easy for ya, Now add some more weight!
It was a warmup weight. I'm going for near 300 in the coming weeks as soon as I heal up from operation no more babies ;)

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
It was a warmup weight. I'm going for near 300 in the coming weeks as soon as I heal up from operation no more babies ;)
Nice one. I like all the vids. I wish more people learned the benefits of the big 3. Careful with those stitches though haha.

2020Wellness

Awards
Nice one. I like all the vids. I wish more people learned the benefits of the big 3. Careful with those stitches though haha.
I hit a press training day on Sunday and it felt great. I am two weeks recovered as of today, and debating squats right now.:nervous:

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
I hit a press training day on Sunday and it felt great. I am two weeks recovered as of today, and debating squats right now.:nervous:
Well heavy back squats do cure cancer...so It will probably help!:firedevil:

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Squats cure cancer..lol

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nppzGV1U8y8&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- normal kid meets a powerlifter[/ame]

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Another one...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWuftSF5kFM&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Bench and Curl Warrior talks to a Powerlifter[/ame]

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Ha ha, now you gotta wack off for like 8 weeks to get all the swimmers out!!

I think I'm about halfway thru your spiel here, and so far its pretty interesting and pretty do-able.

'Bout another week I should have my head wrapped around it all, and then when I'm done with Advanced 5x5 I just may try out your GST...

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to post this all up!!

Bryce720

Awards
This looks like a super solid program, I am thinking of giving it a go. If I do I will log it so people can follow. Most of it make sense I just have a few questions in regards to sets and reps. On your supplement lifts you do either 8-10 or 15-20, are these sets to failure, or do you leave a rep or 2 in the tank?? Next for you core lifts I understand it for the most part I will take the following for example
I am doing 3 sets total first 2 sets will be at 60-70% of my 1rm at total of 8 reps for each set. I am not sure about the 3rd set AMRAP what does this stand for?? Thanks so much for your help.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In Crossfit AMRAP usually means "As Many Rounds As Possible" so I'm gonna take a stab and say 2020 means for it to be "As Many Reps As Possible" for his case. In other words 3rd set to failure.

2020Wellness

Awards
This looks like a super solid program, I am thinking of giving it a go. If I do I will log it so people can follow. Most of it make sense I just have a few questions in regards to sets and reps. On your supplement lifts you do either 8-10 or 15-20, are these sets to failure, or do you leave a rep or 2 in the tank??
These sets are to 'near failure.' You don't want to be hitting failure everytime you perform them. Every once in a while is fine as you increase weights on a workout to workout basis, but not every set.

Next for you core lifts I understand it for the most part I will take the following for example
I am doing 3 sets total first 2 sets will be at 60-70% of my 1rm at total of 8 reps for each set. I am not sure about the 3rd set AMRAP what does this stand for?? Thanks so much for your help.
Everything you said is correct, yep. The third set is to be performed with As Many Reps As Possible.

Also, if you're cutting, I recommend a 60, 70, 80, 90% scheme. If you're bulking I recommend a 70, 80, 90, 100% scheme.
See Bold.

Bryce720

Awards
Thanks so much for the help. I will be starting the program tomorrow. I pretty much have my pre and post workout covered. Can you recommend anything for during?? I will keep you posted week by week as to my progress. Thanks

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I recognized the gym almost immediately. Never saw the finished pics of it, but it looks very nice.

Bryce720

Awards
Quick question I am thinking of doing the below layout

If you want to keep your days of the week identical from week to week and feel that you are the type of person who is easily overtrained, you'll have to go with this 7 day split.
This schedule provides you with more rest than work, allowing for maximum recovery and progression time.

It says day 8 repeat day 1, I am going to assume that since there was only 3 workout days in this week I would have to the 4th workout on the following week Monday.

Monday-squat
Tuesday-off
Wednesday-pull
Thursday-off
Friday-Lift
Sat-off
Sun-off
Monday-press
Tuesday-off
Wednesday-squat
And so on and so forth. I am pretty sure this is what you meant, just wanted to make sure. Thanks

2020Wellness

Awards
Quick question I am thinking of doing the below layout

It says day 8 repeat day 1, I am going to assume that since there was only 3 workout days in this week I would have to the 4th workout on the following week Monday.

Monday-squat
Tuesday-off
Wednesday-pull
Thursday-off
Friday-Lift
Sat-off
Sun-off
Monday-press
Tuesday-off
Wednesday-squat
And so on and so forth. I am pretty sure this is what you meant, just wanted to make sure. Thanks
You got it! Glad you're joining in the GST epidemic!

Bryce720

Awards
I tried the program yesterday it went great, my legs are pretty fried today. On my main exercise, box squat I did my 2 sets of eight at 60% of max for 8 reps each. I did my 3rd and final set at 60% of my 1rm for 11 reps which was failure. I believe this is right?? I have been mulling over the lay out, in your opinion would it be best to do a m,w,f or a m,t,th, f. The later method I would get all 4 workouts in but could this lead to overtraining?? Thanks so much for all you help thus far. Thanks

2020Wellness

Awards
I tried the program yesterday it went great, my legs are pretty fried today. On my main exercise, box squat I did my 2 sets of eight at 60% of max for 8 reps each. I did my 3rd and final set at 60% of my 1rm for 11 reps which was failure. I believe this is right?? I have been mulling over the lay out, in your opinion would it be best to do a m,w,f or a m,t,th, f. The later method I would get all 4 workouts in but could this lead to overtraining?? Thanks so much for all you help thus far. Thanks
Your core sets look good to me!

That would be too frequent. Remember, you are shooting for a 50/50 rest to work ratio. Go with the three day per week option.

2020Wellness

Awards
Big News!

The GST eBook is officially on the market! 65 pages and 16 chapters of information and tutorials on how to use the program and all of its variations.

Visit my homepage for details!

carib102

carib102

Awards
What happened to "Explosive core lift priming and other fine details......"?