Dam Lats

H

hog928

Awards
  • Established
So i have been building them up but they are no where near what i want and i was hoping someone has a good work out they do for lats. Thanks a lot guys

B

Bigblondekid

Awards
I like heavy dumbell pullovers across a flat bench, make sure you stretch as far as you can though, it'll wear your lats out like you wouldn't believe. Hope that helps some.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Lat pull downs in a pyramid fasion, all the way to your 5 rep max, then drop set back down to where you started. My lats blew up!!

H

hog928

Awards
  • Established
thanks guys iv been trying to get them bigger cause i think them and traps look diesel when huge

R

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
swtich to reverse grip on things like rows and pulldowns. this will widen your lats more. i added five inches in a matter of a few months after i made the switch. also throw in old school t-bar rows.

think of this close grip rows and pulldowns hit your outer lats thus make you wider. wide grip frows and pulldowns hit your inner back making you thicker.deads and half deads work great. if your looking for thickness do, wide grip half deads.

** most important, dont do too many exercises when trying to build a big back, pick three to four at most and stick with those for awhile.

this is what i would suggest

reverse grip/close crip pulldowns: 1-2 sets, 6-8 reps
reverse grip/wide grip bent BB rows: 1 set, 6-8 reps
Old school t-bar: set, 6-8 reps
*deads/or half deads: 1 set, 6-8 reps
* do 2-3 warm up sets before your actual set. dont do enough to make you tired though, just warm up the muscle.

any more than that and your gonna overtrain your back and limit how much youll grow. you could do 3-4 sets but then your gonna pass your bodies primed anabolic state and go straight into a catoblic state where your body is trying to recover from the damage you did to it, not grow. recovery and growth are two different things. besides if you go heavy enough and hard enough, you wont be bale to do another set.

thats just my advice however, do what you will and hoped this helped

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
But only 5 working sets for a muscle group that large?

b9cist

b9cist

Awards
Agree with deal lifts...or rack pulls if you have a hard time pulling the weight off the floor. My back and traps have grown a lot faster doing these than when I was just doing pulldowns and rows...

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Good back workout:

Pull-ups x 50 reps (however many sets it takes) sometimes do them weighted
** Most people do pull-ups wrong. Start with a grip that when you're at the top, your forearms are perpendicular to the ground or slightly wider. I usually go as wide as I can and still be practicable. All the way up, then all the way down to a full stretch. Your set should end when you're obviously not able to go all the way up. I usually allow for a little leeway here, but not much. After each set, grab hold of something stationary and really stretch out each side so that you can feel it all the way down to your waist. I mostly do pull-ups to the front, but sometimes I'll switch out for pull-ups to the back or close-grip pull-ups using a V-bar. I used to be able to do 20-25 pull-ups at a time but now I know I was half assing them. After making sure to really concentrate on form and technique, my lats have responded tremendously. I can flair them out more than I used to be able to.

All kinds of rows!!! My favorite at the moment are bent-over underhand barbell rows. I bend over to a 30-40 degree angle and pull the bar straight up into my gut. Underhand rows will more heavily involve the biceps than overhand rows, but you're still really giving the lats a good workout. Just make sure to warmup your biceps properly. Overhand rows are also a bread-and-butter back exercise. Just know that technique is SO important for back work. I see guys throwing around a lot of weight all the time, and they're generally strong guys, but even though my frame might be smaller, my back looks better. Also do some seated rows periodically with a grip that allows you to stress the middle back. T-bar rows are good too because you can use a lot of weight. Just go as heavy as possible while maintaining the best possible form. I usually do a 10-12, 8-10, 6-8, 4-6 rep scheme (that's 4 total sets after 1 lighter warmup rowing set). Occasionally, go really heavy on your rowing movements to keep your body guessing. As in, after a warmup set, do your first set with moderately light weight, such as something allowing you to do 8-10 sets, then crank up the weight so that you can only do 6, 4, and 2-3, or something like that. Use your personal lifting instincts for this. In my opinion, back is less forgiving on the genetic level than say, the chest, as far as creating good size, shape and definition. Or in other words, more people can craft a good back than can craft a good chest (in my opinion). Just keep the technique GOOD. If you load on weights and do a lot of cheating with your rows, you'll probably never have as good a back as you would if you did less weight with better technique.

Deadlifts... Of course you should be throughly warmed up and know the proper lifting technique, but this is an exercise where you should really take advantage of being able to use a lot of weight. I'll usually do some warmups, then a realatively light set of 8-10 or so reps, then go really heavy for a couple sets, as in 4-6 then 2-3, or maybe even 1-2 rep sets. I prefer deads at the end of a back workout. By then, the CNS is usually really warmed up. Opinions will vary on this, but that's mine. I lift for bodybuilding, so I use deads as a means to an end rather than just seeing how much weight I can pick up.

So if you do back only on a given day, this is a workout that's really worked well for me:
Pull-ups x 50 reps (however many sets, don't take long rest periods, stretch after each set)
Bent-over Underhand BB Rows (1 light warmup x 12) 4 x 10-12, 8-10, 6-8, 4-6
Deadlifts (1 light warmup x 12) 3 x 8-10, 4-6, 1-3 ("heavy" is the key word here)

You can do exercises in whatever order you want, and switch out exercises. I just like the idea of a exercise that works the pulldown motion (pull-ups, lat pulldowns, ect.), an exercise that works the rowing motion and then deads are pretty obvious if you want maximum size and strength gains.

Also, adding some biceps-specific exercises to the end of a back workout is a great idea because your biceps will already be really warmed up. Of course go ahead and do 1 warmup set for biceps anyway, just because you don't really work the biceps through their complete range of motion on any back exercise, then do 3-4 sets. Any more than that can be counter productive since you've already pounded those relatively small muscles during your back workout. If you choose to do deads, maybe do even less, such as 2-3 total sets. Something I like for biceps-specific work is to do multiple exercises, rather than just 3-4 sets for 1 exercise. I may do some heavy barbell curls, then some incline DB curls, then lying DB curls, then finish up with some preacher curls or concentration curls. But the underhand BB rows have really gotten my biceps responding. Make sure to stretch them out well after your workout.

Oh, and something I really like to do after a back workout is just hang from a pull-up bar for as long as I can. Take a really wide grip and just hang there, feeling your lats stretch. You can pull your knees up to your chest and tilt your chin down to give them a greater stretch. Also stretches out the whole torso, especially the chest.

Cheers!

R

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
Pull-ups/chin-ups are far superior to lat pull-downs.

Basically what type o hero said. Pull-ups/chin-ups, rows, and deadlifts.

R

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
But only 5 working sets for a muscle group that large?
yes, if your doing alot of weight for 6-8 reps, thats all you need. sure you could do 50 reps of pull ups followed by other exercises and youll grow but not to the full potential. thats the whole reasoning behind the 4 sets. its about hitting the muscle enough to make it grow at maximum potential but not to where its hit too hard to where your central nevrous/immune systems are trying to recover from too much exercise. yall can disagree with me in writting all you want but the results are undeniable. my rows went from 365 for 6 reps to 425 for 6 in 4 weeks. pulldowns went from 230 for 8 to 270-10, tbar went from 6 plates to 8 and a 25 all in a 4 week time frame, technically not even 4 weeks, more like 3 weeks and 2 days. there has not been a week in the past 2 months where my squat hasnt gone up 20 lbs every 2 weeks.

its not just me either, i am currently putting 4 guys at my college (all gym previous gym goers) through my method, all with very very simialr gains in the past four months, one guy imparticualr went from becnhing 185-8 to 225-8 in the 4 weeks. sounds rediculous, but its about OPTIMAL muscle growth with no room for overtraining.
i only do 4 working sets for my back and thats what everyone at my college who doesnt know my name calls me by, "the big dude with the huge back"

dont get me wrong, more sets is ok, i trained that way for years, but ill never go back, even when i cut up ill only go up to 2 sets.

R

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
Pull-ups/chin-ups are far superior to lat pull-downs.

Basically what type o hero said. Pull-ups/chin-ups, rows, and deadlifts.
disagree, there fine, but by no means "far superior". there a good warm-up exercise

R

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
correction: there was an article of one mans OPINION why he thinks chin-ups are superior.

it was an ok read but i dont care for the source of this material. a few weeks ago i read a b.s. article from that page written by a guy claiming soy lowers testosterone in men. yes its a myth and its been proven false. one of the only significant studies done recorded a decline in only one of the participants testosterone while on soy and he had just ended a cycle of anabolic steriods.

also i have a few problems with the content of the page. he refers the the girl as "petite" and that they laughed at her but claims that chins are the "ulitmate mass builder". that makes no sense, if they where, then she'd have a big back or atleast something to where the men wouldnt have laughed at her atempt. plus, he said she was a swimmer, swimmers have enormous back strength from stokes like fly and freestyle. her strength wasnt 100% attributed to executions of chin ups.

also, consider the time frame, this was in 1982, its outdated.

also, look at ronnie or yates, both had argueably the best backs in the game and neither did pull ups.

also, he calls the smith machine "near usless", proving this guy is not a educated fitness professional

also, charles poliquin (the author) is garbage.

nice though, i love to debate lifts and what not,its fun, but you still havent proven that there far superior.... so i still firmly disagree

R

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
correction: there was an article of one mans OPINION why he thinks chin-ups are superior.

it was an ok read but i dont care for the source of this material. a few weeks ago i read a b.s. article from that page written by a guy claiming soy lowers testosterone in men. yes its a myth and its been proven false. one of the only significant studies done recorded a decline in only one of the participants testosterone while on soy and he had just ended a cycle of anabolic steriods.

also i have a few problems with the content of the page. he refers the the girl as "petite" and that they laughed at her but claims that chins are the "ulitmate mass builder". that makes no sense, if they where, then she'd have a big back or atleast something to where the men wouldnt have laughed at her atempt. plus, he said she was a swimmer, swimmers have enormous back strength from stokes like fly and freestyle. her strength wasnt 100% attributed to executions of chin ups.

also, consider the time frame, this was in 1982, its outdated.

also, look at ronnie or yates, both had argueably the best backs in the game and neither did pull ups.

also, he calls the smith machine "near usless", proving this guy is not a educated fitness professional

also, charles poliquin (the author) is garbage.

nice though, i love to debate lifts and what not,its fun, but you still havent proven that there far superior.... so i still firmly disagree
Yeah Charles Poliquin has no idea what he's talking about :rolleyes: Show me your B.Sc. in Kinesiology and a M.Sc. in Exercise Physiology, and then train some olympic gold medalists and then maybe I'll take your opinion over his.

Also, Smith machines are pretty useless, the fact that you think they aren't shows me where you are coming from. Not to mention the fact that Smith machines take the stabilizing muscles out of the equation, it forces an unnatural bar path, which is just begging for injury. Smith machines hardly have any carryover to a real bench press, while a bench press has great carry over to a smith machine bench press.

I'm not saying Lat pull downs can't build a big back, just that chin-ups are much better at it, and have the added benefit of developing useful strength.

R

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
Yeah Charles Poliquin has no idea what he's talking about :rolleyes:

Also, Smith machines are pretty useless, the fact that you think they aren't shows me where you are coming from. Not to mention the fact that Smith machines take the stabilizing muscles out of the equation, it forces an unnatural bar path, which is just begging for injury. Smith machines hardly have any carryover to a real bench press, while a bench press has great carry over to a smith machine bench press.

I'm not saying Lat pull downs can't build a big back, just that chin-ups are much better at it, and have the added benefit of developing useful strength.
wow hot shot, i guess you really know everything. i mean theres no argueing anything you just said. your so right, wait a minute im just kidding.

i bet you didnt even know who charles poliquin was until i mentioned his name, you just knew of his article that you found on the web. and its the only peice of evidence to your arguement. an outdated article from an unreliable web page.

compared to and pro or amateuar charles is a shrimp, so if i had ronnie or yates saying pulldowns are better,and then i had this weisel in the other corner tell me "these chins are the ulitmate mass bulder" guess who id listen to? not you or charles.

so first, if chins were the ulitmate mass builder then why dont all these frail bodies who do nothing but chins at home have big backs? or even half decently developed backs?? they dont so there not "far superior"

second, if you think smith machines are useless than any post youve ever made should be deleted and you shouldnt be giving anyone advice. you should just quite right now. i use barbells but atleast i acknowledge the fact that smith machines arent usless. im not on an EGO trip where i exclude machines.

third, if you dont like smith then get the hell of the leg press son, same damn thing. leg extentions or leg curls, same damn thing there undeniably useful

fourth, you said nothing about my half of my points, so i guess you had no rebutle. and you cant say they werent good points because they destroyed yours. all you came back with was a half ass attack at me. which also failed by the way.

again, outdated useless article from an unreliable source

so again, you still havent proven your point, so i still firmly disagree, even more now then before considering youre the one argueing it.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Pulldowns are a good exercise because they allow you to use less than body weight. Also, you can use a variety of grips. I like them best for warming up with and sometimes V-bar pulldowns.

I wouldn't replace pull-ups with pulldowns, but I wouldn't exclude pulldowns from my routines all together.

R

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
plus your the same height as me but 60 lbs less. i dont do chins, ever...ever.....EVER and yet i have a bigger back.

R

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
Pulldowns are a good exercise because they allow you to use less than body weight. Also, you can use a variety of grips. I like them best for warming up with and sometimes V-bar pulldowns.

I wouldn't replace pull-ups with pulldowns, but I wouldn't exclude pulldowns from my routines all together.
i like your stance on this better then that one kids. you ackwnoldge the usefullness in both. good standpoint. i just dont like rediculous claims like "far superior"

i dont care for them, but i dont think there useless.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i like your stance on this better then that one kids. you ackwnoldge the usefullness in both. good standpoint. i just dont like rediculous claims like "far superior"

Of course..

I do think certain exercises could be considered superior to others if you were basing that off of what works for you. As in, I get more out of dumbbell presses than I do with barbell presses because of the way my body is built, but I wouldn't take that and say that DB presses are always superior to barbell presses because I know plenty of people who could achieve great chest development by only doing barbell presses. Different strokes for different folks.

Most of the time I'd recommend pull-ups over pulldowns, but there's always exceptions to where the opposite would be encouraged.

R

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
wow hot shot, i guess you really know everything. i mean theres no argueing anything you just said. your so right, wait a minute im just kidding.

i bet you didnt even know who charles poliquin was until i mentioned his name, you just knew of his article that you found on the web. and its the only peice of evidence to your arguement. an outdated article from an unreliable web page.

compared to and pro or amateuar charles is a shrimp, so if i had ronnie or yates saying pulldowns are better,and then i had this weisel in the other corner tell me "these chins are the ulitmate mass bulder" guess who id listen to? not you or charles.

so first, if chins were the ulitmate mass builder then why dont all these frail bodies who do nothing but chins at home have big backs? or even half decently developed backs?? they dont so there not "far superior"

second, if you think smith machines are useless than any post youve ever made should be deleted and you shouldnt be giving anyone advice. you should just quite right now. i use barbells but atleast i acknowledge the fact that smith machines arent usless. im not on an EGO trip where i exclude machines.

third, if you dont like smith then get the hell of the leg press son, same damn thing. leg extentions or leg curls, same damn thing there undeniably useful

fourth, you said nothing about my half of my points, so i guess you had no rebutle. and you cant say they werent good points because they destroyed yours. all you came back with was a half ass attack at me. which also failed by the way.

again, outdated useless article from an unreliable source

so again, you still havent proven your point, so i still firmly disagree, even more now then before considering youre the one argueing it.
First I never attacked you, stop taking things so personally. Second you offered nothing to show that lat-pulldowns are better than chin-ups. Saying that Yates never did pull ups therefore pull-downs are better doesn't cut it. Third I don't do leg presses, leg extensions, or leg curls. They have limited usefullness as prehab/rehab movements and maybe as accessory lifts to bring up a weakness. Also, I have no idea who you are talking about when you say: "why dont all these frail bodies who do nothing but chins at home have big backs?" What people? Either way look at gymnasts and rock climbers, people who do pull-ups and pull-up type movements, they have very impressive backs.

And again, you made no points except to dump on Poliquin, who I am willing to bet has much more experience than you.

R

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established

Where did I say that Lat Pulldowns are useless? Hmm, oh wait, I didn't say that. As a matter of fact I even said lat pull downs can build a bigger back. I said that Chin-ups are better.

R

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
Of course..

I do think certain exercises could be considered superior to others if you were basing that off of what works for you. As in, I get more out of dumbbell presses than I do with barbell presses because of the way my body is built, but I wouldn't take that and say that DB presses are always superior to barbell presses because I know plenty of people who could achieve great chest development by only doing barbell presses. Different strokes for different folks.

Most of the time I'd recommend pull-ups over pulldowns, but there's always exceptions to where the opposite would be encouraged.
nah bro, ive been in this game awhile and id never suggest a pull up over a pulldown, even if i didnt like that person. but then again after hearing some of your all comments it seems most of you arent into bodybuilding but just like to lift. nothing wrong with that at all, its a good and healthy hobby. im not looking to do however many pull ups, im trying to row 505 by april. not gonna do that with pullups...

R

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
First I never attacked you, stop taking things so personally. Second you offered nothing to show that lat-pulldowns are better than chin-ups. Saying that Yates never did pull ups therefore pull-downs are better doesn't cut it. Third I don't do leg presses, leg extensions, or leg curls. They have limited usefullness as prehab/rehab movements and maybe as accessory lifts to bring up a weakness. Also, I have no idea who you are talking about when you say: "why dont all these frail bodies who do nothing but chins at home have big backs?" What people? Either way look at gymnasts and rock climbers, people who do pull-ups and pull-up type movements, they have very impressive backs.

And again, you made no points except to dump on Poliquin, who I am willing to bet has much more experience than you.
yeah you did home boy, saying my stance on smiths tells you where im comming from. but to the rest of what you just said all i have to say is wow, your rediculous. saying i havent proved anything? garbage, if you knew anything about yates or ronnie or even bodybuilding youd understand what i was talking about. i should not have to spoon feed you, but then again you dont seem to know anything about lifting. and since you said you dont do leg press etc... it proves to me you have no idea what your talking about. i particapate in the sport of bodybuilding. mountain climbers, rock climbers have nothing compared to them. developed, but in compraison frail. not a "ultimate mass builder".

you never said they were useless by you implied so by stating that pull ups were far superior.

say something else. you havent convinced me anything other than that you have a small back

R

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
yeah you did home boy, saying my stance on smiths tells you where im comming from. but to the rest of what you just said all i have to say is wow, your rediculous. saying i havent proved anything? garbage, if you knew anything about yates or ronnie or even bodybuilding youd understand what i was talking about. i should not have to spoon feed you, but then again you dont seem to know anything about lifting. and since you said you dont do leg press etc... it proves to me you have no idea what your talking about. i particapate in the sport of bodybuilding. mountain climbers, rock climbers have nothing compared to them. developed, but in compraison frail. not a "ultimate mass builder".

you never said they were useless by you implied so by stating that pull ups were far superior.

say something else. you havent convinced me anything other than that you have a small back
I am not a "home boy". Saying that pull-ups/chin-ups are superior to lat pull-downs in no way implies that lat pull downs are useless, that is ridiculous reasoning. You really are taking things far too personally. I really don't care to convince you. If lat pull-downs work for you, great. I'm not telling you not to do them.

R

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
I am not a "home boy". Saying that pull-ups/chin-ups are superior to lat pull-downs in no way implies that lat pull downs are useless, that is ridiculous reasoning. You really are taking things far too personally. I really don't care to convince you. If lat pull-downs work for you, great. I'm not telling you not to do them.
alright home boy, if i said lat pulldowns are not just superior but a far superior exercise to chins and then sent you an article as to why i thought why. it would imply that i did not care for chins or thought that they were useless compared to pulldowns. that is actually the working definition of reasoning used right there. i reasoned. did you not go to school?

R

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
alright home boy, if i said lat pulldowns are not just superior but a far superior exercise to chins and then sent you an article as to why i thought why. it would imply that i did not care for chins or thought that they were useless compared to pulldowns. that is actually the working definition of reasoning used right there. i reasoned. did you not go to school?
You made an assumption, an incorrect one. As I said, I am done trying to convince you. You really are showing your lack of maturity with your continued personal attacks though.

R

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
You made an assumption, an incorrect one. As I said, I am done trying to convince you. You really are showing your lack of maturity with your continued personal attacks though.
nah home boy its just annoying to be to go on a page called "anabolic minds" and find people like you who know nothing about the sport who try to tell me things. i came here to talk to people who know what there talking about, and for the most part they do, theres some cool dudes on her but im obviously not talking to one. im done with you and this convo, you couldnt convice me jack even if you wanted to. in not immature, your just disapointing me

H8dook

H8dook

Banned
Awards
AHHH...A good ole' E-FIGHT!
I believe we are actually talking about pull ups,not chins.
Is the reason you are hating on p-ups,cause you can't do them???
Many people can't.A bodyweight exercise is DEFINITELY tougher/harder than a machine one.
P-ups are tried and true and a GREAT lat builder.

C'mon kids we can all play in the same sandbox,,,and when you're done building sandcastles...DON'T forget to do your PULLUPS:damnit1:

T

TestnRest

Awards
Pullups vs. Pulldowns.... THE ULTIMATE SHOWDOWN

T

TestnRest

Awards
No, but on a serious note. Ricky5145 makes a really good point. Bodybuilders generally favor the lat pulldown to build mass, and the pullup is just used as a warmup. However, you both are coming at it from different angles. One of you is mentioning gymnasts, mountain climbers, etc. These are people that are generally lean, fit and muscular but not huge, or anywhere near the size of bodybuilders such as Yates or Arnold, etc.
On the flip side, the other one of you is mentioning bodybuilders and 'bodybuilding', in which it is important to not only be lean and muscular, but also to pack on massive size. The point at which you guys started arguing is because the term 'ultimate mass builder' was used. To one of you, the term could mean simply have a defined and lean back, and to the other one of you, that means to have a massive bodybuilder style back. But, I will say, that in terms of mass, Ricky is right, lat pulldowns will build mass faster and denser than pullups.

H8dook

H8dook

Banned
Awards
Yeah,an I've seen "so called" bodybuilders on the lat machine rocking back and forth while snatching the weight around.Reminds me of the kids outside of walmart riding the 25 cent horsey go round thingy:nono:...I expect them at any minute to go into an epileptic seizure the way they are flopping all over the place with HORRIBLE-ASS form!

But I guess you are right.When they leave the gym they have to walk sideways through the double doors because their lats as so swole:rolleyes:

Jeremy Brown

Jeremy Brown

Awards
  • Established
it could just be me personally but i prefer heavy ass dumbbell rows, with an exaggerated stretch at the bottom of the movement and sometimes even a pause to allow for the stretch in your lat (i usually pick a weight that i can only do anywhere from 6-10 reps with given the stretching motion). a few sets of those and you can really feel the pump in your lats.

R

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
AHHH...A good ole' E-FIGHT!
I believe we are actually talking about pull ups,not chins.
Is the reason you are hating on p-ups,cause you can't do them???
Many people can't.A bodyweight exercise is DEFINITELY tougher/harder than a machine one.
P-ups are tried and true and a GREAT lat builder.

C'mon kids we can all play in the same sandbox,,,and when you're done building sandcastles...DON'T forget to do your PULLUPS:damnit1:
nah, i can do them, i can do them all day but thanks to trying to poke at me son. and dont be a ****, pull ups, chins who cares its still all the same thing, a warm up. but like i said earlier, i dont care how many i can do, doing pull ups OR CHINS wont get me to row 500 lbs and anything else for that matter. its a good warm-up.

take for instence that girl in the article he pointed out. it said she did 60 straight. do youthinkg that girl can load of 4 plates on a bar and row it? hell no, shed break in half. shes just doing body weight.

im glad to see you agree here latter. and when you said "so called bodybuilders" in you later post i can tell your not one so i can see why youd side with the pullup.

R

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
No, but on a serious note. Ricky5145 makes a really good point. Bodybuilders generally favor the lat pulldown to build mass, and the pullup is just used as a warmup. However, you both are coming at it from different angles. One of you is mentioning gymnasts, mountain climbers, etc. These are people that are generally lean, fit and muscular but not huge, or anywhere near the size of bodybuilders such as Yates or Arnold, etc.
On the flip side, the other one of you is mentioning bodybuilders and 'bodybuilding', in which it is important to not only be lean and muscular, but also to pack on massive size. The point at which you guys started arguing is because the term 'ultimate mass builder' was used. To one of you, the term could mean simply have a defined and lean back, and to the other one of you, that means to have a massive bodybuilder style back. But, I will say, that in terms of mass, Ricky is right, lat pulldowns will build mass faster and denser than pullups.
you summed it up perfectly without and arguement. good job, i agree

R

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
it could just be me personally but i prefer heavy ass dumbbell rows, with an exaggerated stretch at the bottom of the movement and sometimes even a pause to allow for the stretch in your lat (i usually pick a weight that i can only do anywhere from 6-10 reps with given the stretching motion). a few sets of those and you can really feel the pump in your lats.

ditto man, i was just defending lat pulldowns but i am all over the BB row. you just cant beat um

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Wrong. Here is a quote for ya. "Never underestimate the power of wide-grip pull-ups to develop width and size."

Ronnie Coleman
Mr. Olympia

heres an excerpt from a review with dorian as well; : Did you do pull-ups at your heavy bodyweight?

Dorian: Yeah, I used to. We used to do them with maybe an extra hundred pounds, stuff like that. Maybe not full range pull-ups, though. But after the bicep injury in '94, I stayed away from pull-ups because the stretch position on the bicep wasn't right. Then I was relying on machines a lot more, particularly the Hammer pulldown machine and the row.

So he did them UNTIL he was too injured to do them anymore!

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_interviews/dorian_yates_interview

Its funny how you speak for them when you don't know **** about them kid. besides the fact that they take enough injectables to kill a rhino, so why you would give a **** about what they do is odd. You had a high % of BF @ 200 and your bigger now after your bulk. I guarantee your bf is even higher now so stop throwing your weight around like it means something. Your a 21 year old child who has not been in the "game" ever. You just graduated high school not too long ago and have obviously never competed in anything. Deadlifts build thickness, weighted pull ups build width period. if you can't do pull ups, do pull downs till you can. Stop misleading people with your BS.

For fun: Arnold doing pull ups. YouTube- Arnold Schwarzenegger pull ups

R

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
Wrong. Here is a quote for ya. "Never underestimate the power of wide-grip pull-ups to develop width and size."

Ronnie Coleman
Mr. Olympia

heres an excerpt from a review with dorian as well; : Did you do pull-ups at your heavy bodyweight?

Dorian: Yeah, I used to. We used to do them with maybe an extra hundred pounds, stuff like that. Maybe not full range pull-ups, though. But after the bicep injury in '94, I stayed away from pull-ups because the stretch position on the bicep wasn't right. Then I was relying on machines a lot more, particularly the Hammer pulldown machine and the row.

So he did them UNTIL he was too injured to do them anymore!

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_interviews/dorian_yates_interview

Its funny how you speak for them when you don't know **** about them kid. besides the fact that they take enough injectables to kill a rhino, so why you would give a **** about what they do is odd. You had a high % of BF @ 200 and your bigger now after your bulk. I guarantee your bf is even higher now so stop throwing your weight around like it means something. Your a 21 year old child who has not been in the "game" ever. You just graduated high school not too long ago and have obviously never competed in anything. Deadlifts build thickness, weighted pull ups build width period. if you can't do pull ups, do pull downs till you can. Stop misleading people with your BS.
wow, its somebodies time of the month. if you want to rag on me thats fine. i take it as a compliment. your comments just prove your jealous. saying my bf was high at 200. ha, thats a joke. it obviously wasnt i get it checked regularly, my gf works at the human preformace lab so i get more effective tests than your skin fold tests. also, if you dont care about my weight fine, but i still lift more than you ever will, with great form too. i may be 21 but id like to see you row 455 for six, or incline 315 for reps. but you dont. so in a way you complimented me so thanks man.

and the high school comment? im about to graduate college you lil shrimp. i guess you never went...it shows.

and the ronnie and yates comment. i was using them as an example. sure they may have said that and sure the were juicing, but just because you juice doesnt mean your going to get huge. and if you look at them from the time they were average size on the stage to when they became the mass monsters they were, they didnt utilize pull ups. early careers sure. i did when i started lifting, but i dont use them now, and they didnt either.
besides if you watch ronnies interviews he contradics himself alot.

so in short, thanks for the compliments you just boosted my ego a lil so thanks

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
wow, its somebodies time of the month. if you want to rag on me thats fine. i take it as a compliment. your comments just prove your jealous. saying my bf was high at 200. ha, thats a joke. it obviously wasnt i get it checked regularly, my gf works at the human preformace lab so i get more effective tests than your skin fold tests. also, if you dont care about my weight fine, but i still lift more than you ever will, with great form too. i may be 21 but id like to see you row 455 for six, or incline 315 for reps. but you dont. so in a way you complimented me so thanks man.

and the high school comment? im about to graduate college you lil shrimp. i guess you never went...it shows.

and the ronnie and yates comment. i was using them as an example. sure they may have said that and sure the were juicing, but just because you juice doesnt mean your going to get huge. and if you look at them from the time they were average size on the stage to when they became the mass monsters they were, they didnt utilize pull ups. early careers sure. i did when i started lifting, but i dont use them now, and they didnt either.
besides if you watch ronnies interviews he contradics himself alot.

so in short, thanks for the compliments you just boosted my ego a lil so thanks
I am just sick of reading your written diarrhea on lifting, diet etc. when your so f'n off base. I can also see your pics man.Post one of your belly then and now if you want to prove a point for me..odd how there is not one in your gallery.
How could I be jealous of someone smaller and fatter than me.I am taller, more muscular and I don't have a huge ass gut so that statement is ludacris. I have been at your current bw at a lower BF % than you so don't talk to me like you know whats up.
I will guarantee that I can out lift you with proper form on any movement that you choose. Post a vid champ.
WhoTF said anything about calipers? If you knew me at all you would know I either recommend hydrostatic weighing or DEXA scans.
I went to university for human kinetics actually and by the way you write/spell, YOU obviously never graduated highschool. Also you have validated my claim about your time in the "game".
I already stated why Dorian stopped. Ronnie Coleman has done extensive pull downs and Pull ups. There is no disputing that fact and if you think they got to that level by taking normal doses and just putting in hard work and changing up their exercises..you show your age and intelligence.

17amethyl

Awards
  • Established
swtich to reverse grip on things like rows and pulldowns. this will widen your lats more. i added five inches in a matter of a few months after i made the switch. also throw in old school t-bar rows.

think of this close grip rows and pulldowns hit your outer lats thus make you wider. wide grip frows and pulldowns hit your inner back making you thicker.deads and half deads work great. if your looking for thickness do, wide grip half deads.

** most important, dont do too many exercises when trying to build a big back, pick three to four at most and stick with those for awhile.

this is what i would suggest

reverse grip/close crip pulldowns: 1-2 sets, 6-8 reps
reverse grip/wide grip bent BB rows: 1 set, 6-8 reps
Old school t-bar: set, 6-8 reps
*deads/or half deads: 1 set, 6-8 reps
* do 2-3 warm up sets before your actual set. dont do enough to make you tired though, just warm up the muscle.

any more than that and your gonna overtrain your back and limit how much youll grow. you could do 3-4 sets but then your gonna pass your bodies primed anabolic state and go straight into a catoblic state where your body is trying to recover from the damage you did to it, not grow. recovery and growth are two different things. besides if you go heavy enough and hard enough, you wont be bale to do another set.

thats just my advice however, do what you will and hoped this helped
Excellent advice. I remember my transition from having barely noticeable lats to beefy flaring lats that push on your triceps even when relaxed...haha.

I really think it's about 3 things: Reverse Grips, Deadlifts, & Heavy. Apply Reverse close grip positions to things like barbell rows, pulldowns, etc. I also felt that by spacing my hands further than I normally do when DL, I can actually start the movement by pulling with the lats- this activation with heavy weight really shocks the area. Just make sure to go heavy each set but not to overdo it in terms of volume.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
I am just sick of reading your written diarrhea on lifting, diet etc. when your so f'n off base. I can also see your pics man.Post one of your belly then and now if you want to prove a point for me..odd how there is not one in your gallery.
How could I be jealous of someone smaller and fatter than me.I am taller, more muscular and I don't have a huge ass gut so that statement is ludacris. I have been at your current bw at a lower BF % than you so don't talk to me like you know whats up.
I will guarantee that I can out lift you with proper form on any movement that you choose. Post a vid champ.
WhoTF said anything about calipers? If you knew me at all you would know I either recommend hydrostatic weighing or DEXA scans.
I went to university for human kinetics actually and by the way you write/spell, YOU obviously never graduated highschool. Also you have validated my claim about your time in the "game".
I already stated why Dorian stopped. Ronnie Coleman has done extensive pull downs and Pull ups. There is no disputing that fact and if you think they got to that level by taking normal doses and just putting in hard work and changing up their exercises..you show your age and intelligence.
BWHAHAHA OWNED!!! I looked at pics of his back its the smallest thing on him. Should be giving advice on shoulders instead. 'think of this close grip rows and pulldowns hit your outer lats thus make you wider. wide grip frows and pulldowns hit your inner back making you thicker" This is why his lats are small.:booty: F'n bass ackwards. You shouldn't make fun of people who weigh less, when they look better and have a better physique than you lol.

H8dook

H8dook

Banned
Awards
nah, i can do them, i can do them all day but thanks to trying to poke at me son. and dont be a ****, pull ups, chins who cares its still all the same thing, a warm up. but like i said earlier, i dont care how many i can do, doing pull ups OR CHINS wont get me to row 500 lbs and anything else for that matter. its a good warm-up.

take for instence that girl in the article he pointed out. it said she did 60 straight. do youthinkg that girl can load of 4 plates on a bar and row it? hell no, shed break in half. shes just doing body weight.

im glad to see you agree here latter. and when you said "so called bodybuilders" in you later post i can tell your not one so i can see why youd side with the pullup.[/QU

Thanks for ADMITTING YOU CAN'T do pull ups!Individuals w/your BF% more often than not can't pull their FAT asses up to do one,so they dismiss them,and run to a t-bar and load it up w/plates and proceed to use HORRID form! Congratulations.This is YOUR Dr. Phil moment...Get it ALL out tough guy who can't do a bodyweight pull up,much less a WEIGHTED one!
REAL men can...WEIGHTED,I may add!
You've made a TOTAL ASS of yourself w/your meathead mentality.

Piss poor argument man vs woman also.Doesn't surprise me you would TRY to make relevance...YOU seem to have ALOT of BEEYAAACH in YOU!

You just keep rocking away on that lat MACHINE,while people laugh at YOUR SIMPLE ass:lol::lol::lol:

You claim you are about to graduate college???
With YOUR PATHETIC grammar&spelling skills???...MUST be an ONLINE degree!!!!
When you get it,take it w/you to the gym and paste it on the lat MACHINE while you rock and swing out! Bet you are a "REAL STAR" @Planet Fitness....DOOFUS!

One other thing Einstein...
Wide grip pull ups= BACK
CHINS=Bi's

R

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
agh, you got me on the spelling...no denying that.

anyway, you all are acting like i ****ed your mothers. i really don't care what you say, none of you have pictures of yourselves posted and your stats prove you are nothing special...at all. all three of you are smaller then me and are most likely fat, otherwise you'd have pictures. and the dude with the avatar of the joker....need i say more.

like i said, i dont care what you say, im the one getting PM'd about help with routines and almost every time i log in i have a new rep message, alot about this thread.

And you "thelastronin" you gave me rep points too you idiot.

R

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
one other thing, h8dook, your and idiot too. chins don't just hit biceps, they also hit you back. dont give anyone advice....ever. delete you account and get a new hobby. this clearly is'nt for you.

H8dook

H8dook

Banned
Awards
one other thing, h8dook, your and idiot too. chins don't just hit biceps, they also hit you back. dont give anyone advice....ever. delete you account and get a new hobby. this clearly is'nt for you.
CLOSE REVERSE GRIP CHINS ARE PRIMARILY BICEPS.That's what MOST INTELLIGENT people associate chins with.I forget I was talking to "REMEDIAL RANDY!"

GO SIT IN THE CORNER W/YOUR "DUNCE HAT" on....DUNCE:lol:

R

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
CLOSE REVERSE GRIP CHINS ARE PRIMARILY BICEPS.That's what MOST INTELLIGENT people associate chins with.I forget I was talking to "REMEDIAL RANDY!"

GO SIT IN THE CORNER W/YOUR "DUNCE HAT" on....DUNCE:lol:
"Chin-ups target the latissimus dorsi muscle, assisted by the brachialis, brachioradialis, biceps brachii, teres major, posterior deltoid, infraspinatus, teres minor, rhomboids, levator scapulae, middle and lower trapezius and pectoralis muscles. Chin-ups are thought to build width and thickness to one's back, as well as to promote growth of the biceps, brachialis, brachioradialis and pronator teres" exrx.net

once again, youre an idiot....and calling someone who knows what there talking about and who proves you wrong a "dunce" only makes you look like more of and idiot.

like i said, delete your account and get a new hobby. this clearly is not for you.

R

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
i really just thought about it for a minute and the fact that you just said that, about chin ups hitting primarily biceps, really proves to me you dont know much about lifting weights. all jokes aside, thats pretty bad man....

if "thelastronin" and "blacktail" agree with you, then its going to say alot for them, so i hope they can swallow their pride and side with me on this one, or everything they ever posted lost alot, if not all, credibility.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
agh, you got me on the spelling...no denying that.

anyway, you all are acting like i ****ed your mothers. i really don't care what you say, none of you have pictures of yourselves posted and your stats prove you are nothing special...at all. all three of you are smaller then me and are most likely fat, otherwise you'd have pictures. and the dude with the avatar of the joker....need i say more.

like i said, i dont care what you say, im the one getting PM'd about help with routines and almost every time i log in i have a new rep message, alot about this thread.

And you "thelastronin" you gave me rep points too you idiot.
You can look at my profile pic if you want meathead. Its always been there. Stats? What stats? My weight lmao! You are fat on a bulk, not ripped! Get over it. My muscle size, density and strength is beyond yours period. I know you think your in the league of guys who are ripped and competing at your bodyweight, but when and if you ever cut up you will see what you actually look like, which is a guy 5'9 tall and probably around 205 if you are lucky. Unless that is you only cut up to how fat you were before. I personally don't like the fact that you are preaching your own brand of dinosaur Jesus gospel like it is fact.
Great some rookies like everything you say, I hope they wade through the BS.
You obviously care because you respond, also I KNOW that I repped you for something that you said that was not retarded. I don't f'n hate you, this is the internet. I can like and dislike **** on this forum that you say all day long. I haven't negged you because you DO have a good base and think when you grow up and realize you are not anything incredible to anyone besides novice lifters and get enough experience that you will begin to offer sound advice.

"thelastronin" and "blacktail" agree with you, then its going to say alot for them, so i hope they can swallow their pride and side with me on this on."

I do agree with you on this one actually. It is fact. The biceps do get a hellva workout from doing them though.