Smith machine? - AnabolicMinds.com

Smith machine?

1. New Member

Smith machine?

So I'm considering joining a local lower cost gym (still in school, funds are a little tight) but it seems for the cheaper rates I'm losing out on heavier dumbbells (they only have up to 60lbs but I suppose I could suffice with cables for some excercises) and free benches. They however do have smith machines, so my question is; I've heard SM flat bench and incline doesn't offer nearly as good a workout as free bench does, is this true? The only training I've done on smith's are shrugs.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.

Planet Fitness?

Doing bench on a Smith isn't necessarily bad. You won't get the stabilizer muscle activation that you'd get on a free weight bench, and the fixed range of motion doesn't allow for natural movement, but it's better than nothing.
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chops89 View Post
    Planet Fitness?

Doing bench on a Smith isn't necessarily bad. You won't get the stabilizer muscle activation that you'd get on a free weight bench, and the fixed range of motion doesn't allow for natural movement, but it's better than nothing.
    I agree, the smith machine is better than nothing. Just make sure you include those dumbbells and cable to keep the stabilizers strong. Sometimes to much of one exercise can result in injuries.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.

i love the smith, i built a 51 inch chest using mostly smith for presses. agreed about the stabilizers but dont for once think a smith wont do the job
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Smith's are fine for sculpting purposes. Free bench has most of it's benefits in athletic purposes in stabilizers, both in the shoulders and core to an extent, but if all your concerned about is growing muscle, a smith will do the trick just fine.

Smith's aren't as "hardcore," but when you're walking around with your chest poking through your shirt, no one knows whether you used a free bench or a smith, so whatever.
    NSCA - CSCS
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.

markus rhul may not be the best but he has a much bigger chest than any other pro and he uses the smith and other machines for his presses. so i agree, its not hardcore but itll do the trick. its an ego thing if you dont think macines build mass, look at at mike mentzer, he was an advocate of only using machines and he was a monster for his tims. same with yates, cables and machines are nothing to shy from
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chops89 View Post
    ^^
    truth

the less stabilizers you use, the more weight you can lift. always. on the smith you will lift more than barbell, and barbell you will lift more than dumbell. IMO i would do smith bench first, and then use the 60 pound dumbells for DB press so your stabilizeres don't go to pot.
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky5145 View Post
    markus rhul may not be the best but he has a much bigger chest than any other pro and he uses the smith and other machines for his presses. so i agree, its not hardcore but itll do the trick. its an ego thing if you dont think macines build mass, look at at mike mentzer, he was an advocate of only using machines and he was a monster for his tims. same with yates, cables and machines are nothing to shy from
    Now you have me thinkig, maybe I should switch it up a bit. Have a day dedicated to machines.
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.

i am a man with no fear of machines. alot of guys think there garbage but i believe there just on an ego trip. i like your way of thinking. ponder away man, come up with something sweet.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.

I agree with all thats said i mean you dont build the same stabalizer muscles you would from free weights while using a smith machine but you build mass. I mean i know people that just shy away from machines all in general i mean i see results from them so why shy away.
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.

i cant stand geeks who talk trash about smiths. or machines for that matter, they all have their purpose. Natilus Machines were invented SPECIFFICALLY for mass building by arthur jones.
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky5145 View Post
    i cant stand geeks who talk trash about smiths. or machines for that matter, they all have their purpose. Natilus Machines were invented SPECIFFICALLY for mass building by arthur jones.
    Not a big Natilus fan. I do love the Hammer Strength Machines! Those kick some ass.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.

How much cheaper is this gym then the one your at and doesnt your school have a gym?
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

I train by myself and don't have the benefits of having a spotter. I've used the Smith Machine for pretty much everything and I don't think I've suffered in any way. I will say that you can have the best equip - if you don't train with high intensity, it means nothing. And vice versa - even if you have the worst equip, you can build a phenominal physique.

Just my 2 cents...
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyIOSOS View Post
    Not a big Natilus fan. I do love the Hammer Strength Machines! Those kick some ass.
    WHAT!!? im a huge natilus fan, the old stuff though. but i do love me some hammer strenght aswell

Similar Forum Threads

1. Smith machine bar
    By Pipes in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-29-2011, 05:23 PM
  2. smith machine vs. barbell
    By popeye427 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-02-2010, 12:01 PM
  3. Smith Machine
    By abnxtwo in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14