The Farmer's Walk

B

BullStrong

Awards
Hey everybody! Glad to be here. I'd like to discuss the farmer's walk with you.

In my opinion it is a great exercise both for bulking and for conditioning your body, depending on the weight and duration of the set you choose.

After some good sets of this exercise, I feel the pump, the work done, in basically my entire body.

What muscles do you think does the FW NOT train? Of course it emphasizes forearms, traps, core and calves for example, but I have the feeling it basically works every muscle in the body.

What is your opinion, both scientifically as well as based on your personal training experience?

A friend of mine wants to start training and do nothing but the FW for the first few months. This is a bit stupid I'd say and might lead to imbalances, but I will not stop him and watch his progress.

Thanks. :)

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What do you want to know? It's an amazing exercise overall and definitely a good starter to get your back, grip, and the works going, but doing that and only that isn't the greatest idea.

Get him interested in some sled training as well. They work well with each other and will give explosive movements, and are all around fun.

S

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
Ahhhh!!! The good ole farmers walk, the most under rated exercise

B

BullStrong

Awards
Thank you for your posts. :)

Sled work is great. Of course I will try to make him understand there is more to smart training than just doing one exercise. But like I said, I will wait a little and watch his progress for now.

Sometimes I think the Farmer's Walk is a bit hard on my knees. Do you guys share the same experience?

And please give me your view on the question whether the FW works basically the entire body?

Thanks again.

Code:
BTW, since I am new around these boards. Here is some info on me:
male, mid twenties, 6'0'', 207 pounds right now, 12 % bodyfat.
Training five days per week.

Monday - Chest and Back
Bench Press supersetted with Barbell Rows 5x8 each
Military Press supersetted with Pull-ups 3x10 each
Dips supersetted with Shrugs 2x20 each

Tuesday - OFF

Wednesday - Legs
Deadlift 6x6
Squat 5x10
Leg Press 2x20
Calf Raises 3x50

Thursday - Arms
Barbell Curls supersetted with Pushdowns 4x12 each
Hammer Curls supersetted with Kick-Backs 2x20 each
Wrist Curls supersetted with Reverse Wrist Curls 3x15 each

Friday - Shoulders and Abs
Hang Clean 8x4
Triset Side Raises, Front Raises, Rear Delt Raises 3x20 each
Upright Row 2x25
Cuban Press 3x15
External Rotation supersetted with internal Rotation 2x20 each
Sit-Ups 3x50
The Plank 1xmax

Saturday - OFF

Sunday - Farmer's Walks and Cardio

B

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
helped me with deadlift grip and traps lol

L

Link24

Awards
  • Established
I start off leg day with farmer walks, great for my traps, forearms and my calves. When I do them I walk hard on the balls of my toes to really focus on the calves. It has helped tremendously