About abs...

AtomStrange

AtomStrange

Awards
So, been looking online and haven't found anything on this, but figured I have great resources here that might be able to answer.

I've been working my abs/core pretty regularly. Most times I'm holding the abs tight and in while doing crunches, sit-ups, leg lifts, leg raises, twists, and so on...
I'm not using weight during any of my ab exercises.

Lately it seems my ab muscles are growing 'outward' giving me the appearance of having a bigger gut... How do I get my abs toned and tight without them pushing out?

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

R

Raladoc

Raladoc

Awards
Yea im onto you but i could be corrected here but i think that your abs do grow like that the most you could do to get it tighter is vacuums and stretches i think.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Back off on some of the core work.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
when you exercise you're arms what happens? they get bigger right? why do you think you're abs would be any different. abs (six pack) are made in the kitchen and on the treadmill or other cardio exercises not by doing core work.....

AtomStrange

AtomStrange

Awards
abs (six pack) are made in the kitchen and on the treadmill or other cardio exercises not by doing core work.....
Understood about how to get the abs to show through, i.e. proper eating and cardio. My abs are visible... (though not rippling) and I'm sure part of the issue is genetics. I'm barrel chested. The top box abs under my chest stick out quite a bit.
My diet is very low carb, and I run daily... as well as my normal workout 5x per week, plus some jump rope, racket ball, and swimming.

when you exercise you're arms what happens? they get bigger right? why do you think you're abs would be any different.
Arms get bigger the more weight I use. If I use light weights and higher reps they get more defined, but not necessarily bigger.
In the case of my abs I'm not using any weight.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
what rep ranges do you do??? i always do about 20 reps with abs. when i am in a cut, i will do cardio like jump roping and swimming. i dont like to run cause its bad for your knees unless u do the eliptical or something

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Arms get bigger the more weight I use. If I use light weights and higher reps they get more defined, but not necessarily bigger.
you use your abs more often than you might know. squats, deads, standing anything......pooping

AtomStrange

AtomStrange

Awards
what rep ranges do you do??? i always do about 20 reps with abs. when i am in a cut, i will do cardio like jump roping and swimming. i dont like to run cause its bad for your knees unless u do the eliptical or something
My old trainer had told me anything under 40 reps is a waste of time... of course I think he's full of it... but I got into the habit, so I do 3 sets of 40-50 in each exercise.

It's time for me to get in a cut... I just lack the self discipline to not drink the next few Sundays. Especially with the Jets this weekend and the Super-Bowl coming up.. party's at my place.

AtomStrange

AtomStrange

Awards
Been doing the vacuums and though I'm not about to report visible results I can totally feel it. Will report in about 1-2 weeks on actual progress.

Just wanted to say thanks again.

R

dpfisher

Yeah I'm having the problem with my upper abs... I'm pretty high fat but they show just because they are huge. I'm definitely considering not doing decline bench situps with a plate behind my head anymore. Or just keep on and get them gigantic so they are still big after I cut hard, I can't decide.

AtomStrange

AtomStrange

Awards

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
You realize you can't "tone" a muscle? There is only more or less fat, and smaller or bigger muscles.

Liftingstud

Awards
  • Established
Pick an lower, oblique and upper ab exercise 2-3x wk. Usually pick different ones workout to workout. Do lower first then oblique then upper. And do Vaccums!!! They are amazing for keeping the stomach very flat. I swear by them more than crunches! Pull stomach in and up... feel like you are trying to make your stomach touch your spine. Hold for 60 sec the repeat. I usually do in between other ab sets.

But abs are mainly DIET! If your body fat isnt low enough you can crunch til the cows come home and you still will not have popping abs. So getting your BF% down to sub 10% is the goal.