About abs...

  1. About abs...


    So, been looking online and haven't found anything on this, but figured I have great resources here that might be able to answer.

    I've been working my abs/core pretty regularly. Most times I'm holding the abs tight and in while doing crunches, sit-ups, leg lifts, leg raises, twists, and so on...
    I'm not using weight during any of my ab exercises.

    Lately it seems my ab muscles are growing 'outward' giving me the appearance of having a bigger gut... How do I get my abs toned and tight without them pushing out?

    Anyone know what I'm talking about?

    R


  2. Yea im onto you but i could be corrected here but i think that your abs do grow like that the most you could do to get it tighter is vacuums and stretches i think.

  3. Back off on some of the core work.
    •   
       


  4. when you exercise you're arms what happens? they get bigger right? why do you think you're abs would be any different. abs (six pack) are made in the kitchen and on the treadmill or other cardio exercises not by doing core work.....

  5. Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    abs (six pack) are made in the kitchen and on the treadmill or other cardio exercises not by doing core work.....
    Understood about how to get the abs to show through, i.e. proper eating and cardio. My abs are visible... (though not rippling) and I'm sure part of the issue is genetics. I'm barrel chested. The top box abs under my chest stick out quite a bit.
    My diet is very low carb, and I run daily... as well as my normal workout 5x per week, plus some jump rope, racket ball, and swimming.

    Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    when you exercise you're arms what happens? they get bigger right? why do you think you're abs would be any different.
    Arms get bigger the more weight I use. If I use light weights and higher reps they get more defined, but not necessarily bigger.
    In the case of my abs I'm not using any weight.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf0420 View Post
    Back off on some of the core work.
    I can do that!

    Quote Originally Posted by Raladoc View Post
    Yea im onto you but i could be corrected here but i think that your abs do grow like that the most you could do to get it tighter is vacuums and stretches i think.
    Vaccums? Do tell...

  7. Quote Originally Posted by AtomStrange View Post
    Vaccums? Do tell...
    Stomach Vaccums

  8. Great tip! Thanks lonewolf!

  9. what rep ranges do you do??? i always do about 20 reps with abs. when i am in a cut, i will do cardio like jump roping and swimming. i dont like to run cause its bad for your knees unless u do the eliptical or something
    Iron Forged Nutrition Rep

    use code "R1balla" to receive a discount

  10. Quote Originally Posted by AtomStrange View Post

    Arms get bigger the more weight I use. If I use light weights and higher reps they get more defined, but not necessarily bigger.
    In the case of my abs I'm not using any weight.
    you use your abs more often than you might know. squats, deads, standing anything......pooping

  11. Quote Originally Posted by R1balla View Post
    what rep ranges do you do??? i always do about 20 reps with abs. when i am in a cut, i will do cardio like jump roping and swimming. i dont like to run cause its bad for your knees unless u do the eliptical or something
    My old trainer had told me anything under 40 reps is a waste of time... of course I think he's full of it... but I got into the habit, so I do 3 sets of 40-50 in each exercise.

    It's time for me to get in a cut... I just lack the self discipline to not drink the next few Sundays. Especially with the Jets this weekend and the Super-Bowl coming up.. party's at my place.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    you use your abs more often than you might know. squats, deads, standing anything......pooping
    Ahh, that would explain why I always have to crap after my workout.

  13. Been doing the vacuums and though I'm not about to report visible results I can totally feel it. Will report in about 1-2 weeks on actual progress.

    Just wanted to say thanks again.

    R
  14. dpfisher
    dpfisher's Avatar

    Yeah I'm having the problem with my upper abs... I'm pretty high fat but they show just because they are huge. I'm definitely considering not doing decline bench situps with a plate behind my head anymore. Or just keep on and get them gigantic so they are still big after I cut hard, I can't decide.

  15. This is working! Been seeing major changes!





    ______________________________ ______________________________ __________

    ***Shameless Plug
    ** Feel Free to check out final versions of Atom Strange's upcoming release 'Cosmic Disturbance' here!**
    Anyone want to join the Atom Strange Facebook page is welcome to as well... New songs are loaded there on the bottom left of the page.
    Totally appreciate your support in Health and in Music!
    Your comments on Facebook are welcome and appreciated!
    Rick

  16. Quote Originally Posted by AtomStrange View Post
    Arms get bigger the more weight I use. If I use light weights and higher reps they get more defined, but not necessarily bigger.
    In the case of my abs I'm not using any weight.
    You realize you can't "tone" a muscle? There is only more or less fat, and smaller or bigger muscles.

  17. Pick an lower, oblique and upper ab exercise 2-3x wk. Usually pick different ones workout to workout. Do lower first then oblique then upper. And do Vaccums!!! They are amazing for keeping the stomach very flat. I swear by them more than crunches! Pull stomach in and up... feel like you are trying to make your stomach touch your spine. Hold for 60 sec the repeat. I usually do in between other ab sets.

    But abs are mainly DIET! If your body fat isnt low enough you can crunch til the cows come home and you still will not have popping abs. So getting your BF% down to sub 10% is the goal.
  

  
 

Log in
Log in