wrist hurting on and off for two months

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
My right wrist has been hurting for 2 and a half months. I haven't lifted in 4 months. What can I do, if anything to help make the pain go away and to help recover?

fightercowboy

fightercowboy

Awards
  • Established
Could be tendonitis. I had it during the fall and its a pain in the azz. Had to take off about 2 months from training. Go see a doc would be best advice if its really bothering you. Otherwise, ice it 15 min on and off throughout day. See how that works. Try some anti-inflams as well.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Could be tendonitis. I had it during the fall and its a pain in the azz. Had to take off about 2 months from training. Go see a doc would be best advice if its really bothering you. Otherwise, ice it 15 min on and off throughout day. See how that works. Try some anti-inflams as well.
He just said rest, it is tendinitis, but I'd like to speed up recovery. I guess I'll just ice it like you said.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
its actually been closer to 3 months. no matter what i do my wrists hurt. i even tried wearing braces for them but that made them worse. I know my jackass doctor won't do anything he never does.

sethsell

Awards
Is there any kind of bump or bulge? If so it could be a ganglion cyst.
The braces will simply put pressure on it and cause more pain, sounds cyst'ish to me.
Im definitely no physician though, just my two cents.

cranghel099

cranghel099

Awards
  • Established
gets some tape, wrist wraps, and fat gripz, use them religiously on upper body days

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I did read that if you have tendinitis and you wear the wrong kind of braces it can make it worse. I was wearing braces for carpal tunnel, because that was all I had. Also, when I've been waking up in the morning my hands will be asleep a lot.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I don't notice any bulges or anything like that, but the fingers on my left hand will sometimes hurt for no reason.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
i did damage to the tendons in my wrist when i was younger. it hurts on and off every few months if i twirk it wrong. when it does act up i cant bend my hand back or forward without intense pain. i read about all kinds of crap that it could be but just went to my docotors. she was real cool and broke it down for me, she said it was an inflamed tendon and that anti-inflamatories and rest would help. i took the stuff she perscribed and it went away in a few days. they basically sell the same stuff at walmart however. it has come back again, for a week or two but goes away. i cant do the anti-inflamatroy because of a test product im on where your not supposed to mix the two. so i just tape the **** out of it whenver it comes back.

however if its not wrist pain, and your talking about froearm pain, its whole nother story

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
i did damage to the tendons in my wrist when i was younger. it hurts on and off every few months if i twirk it wrong. when it does act up i cant bend my hand back or forward without intense pain. i read about all kinds of crap that it could be but just went to my docotors. she was real cool and broke it down for me, she said it was an inflamed tendon and that anti-inflamatories and rest would help. i took the stuff she perscribed and it went away in a few days. they basically sell the same stuff at walmart however. it has come back again, for a week or two but goes away. i cant do the anti-inflamatroy because of a test product im on where your not supposed to mix the two. so i just tape the **** out of it whenver it comes back.

however if its not wrist pain, and your talking about froearm pain, its whole nother story
Well I hope it goes away because I want to do wrist curls and do forearm work. My right wrist isn't hurting anymore thankfully, but my left wrist is still having pain, but my left wrist started hurting weeks after my right one started hurting. What medicine did you take? I don't like taking NSAIDs after a week because they become hard on my stomach.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established

That's good advice if you can't go see a sports medicine doctor. OP, Take some Ibuprofen, lots of fish oil(It can help with inflammation), and give it a few days of rest and see if that helps it.

Edit: I didn't see you dont like NSAID, don't know what to tell you to take then other than the fish oil. Take the NSAIDs if you can, and make sure you take it with food.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
That's good advice if you can't go see a sports medicine doctor. OP, Take some Ibuprofen, lots of fish oil(It can help with inflammation), and give it a few days of rest and see if that helps it.

Edit: I didn't see you dont like NSAID, don't know what to tell you to take then other than the fish oil. Take the NSAIDs if you can, and make sure you take it with food.
I was thinking about just taking supper cissus, but can't since I don't have $30 I have to go for the regular cissus. This wrist pain has been going on for going on 3 months. Saw the doctor he just said rest, thats all he said. He said he believes it's tendinitis.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
I was thinking about just taking supper cissus, but can't since I don't have $30 I have to go for the regular cissus. This wrist pain has been going on for going on 3 months. Saw the doctor he just said rest, thats all he said. He said he believes it's tendinitis.
Well if you are against the NSAID. Then the Cissus along with fish oil might help, and be sure to give it rest.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
sports med doctors are ok if can can find a good one. they dont have the same amount of training or education but still can give ok advice.i had a sports md doctor told me i messed up my rotator cuff but it was actually a whole different problem that had nothing to do with my cuff.
doctors get a bad rep because there common meassage seems to always be "rest it, ice it" so there looked at as not caring. but if its serious, theyll know what it is. then again, there are stupid doctors out there too who dont seem to care all to much. best bet, get an opinion from a doctor or whomever and then get a second opininon from someone else.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
yeah and when you do go back to lifting, watch it and tape/ protect it. twirk it wrong its all back again

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
yeah and when you do go back to lifting, watch it and tape/ protect it. twirk it wrong its all back again
Okay, but can I still do hammer curls though? When I get back to working out I want to develop my forearms. I guess When I get back into training I should avoid wrist curls from now on. Not that I hurt myself doing wrist curls. When my wrist started hurting I wasn't training at all. I think I did something where I had my wrists at an awkward angle.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
nah man, the last thing you want to do is avoid wrist curls. maybe for the first week but def throw them in. light tho obviously until you build strength to them. but dont throw them out. i have bad wrist problems but never had problems with wrist curls,(never caused pain, or injury)

as for the hammer curls go for it. ill tell you a secret me a retired amateur told me and my arms grew faster then ever. when working biceps, strap in. use your wrist straps and strap in for curls, except preacher (dangerous) but youll hit the bicep harder beacuse you wont be relying on weak forearms. i know what your thinking but wait, if your work your forearms on their own you dont need to worry about them not being worked in curls. trust me, i started straping in biceps grew and inch and a half, started doing froearms curls on their own day, forearms grew 2 inches. all in good time but its sound advice. course this is my preference but do what you willl man just get big and have fun.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
nah man, the last thing you want to do is avoid wrist curls. maybe for the first week but def throw them in. light tho obviously until you build strength to them. but dont throw them out. i have bad wrist problems but never had problems with wrist curls,(never caused pain, or injury)

as for the hammer curls go for it. ill tell you a secret me a retired amateur told me and my arms grew faster then ever. when working biceps, strap in. use your wrist straps and strap in for curls, except preacher (dangerous) but youll hit the bicep harder beacuse you wont be relying on weak forearms. i know what your thinking but wait, if your work your forearms on their own you dont need to worry about them not being worked in curls. trust me, i started straping in biceps grew and inch and a half, started doing froearms curls on their own day, forearms grew 2 inches. all in good time but its sound advice. course this is my preference but do what you willl man just get big and have fun.
Well I don't have any straps, but On the routine, that I'm going to go back to I'll be doing barbell curls, hammer curls and wrist curls. This is what my bicep days look like
Back and Bis
One Arm Rows (2 sets 8-12 reps)
BB curl (1 set 18-22 reps)
Hammer curls (1 set 18-22 reps)
Deadlift (3 sets 6-8 reps)
Reverse DB Wrist Curl (1 set 18-22 reps)
chinups to failure

I do regular wrist curls on my shoulder days.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
Well I don't have any straps, but On the routine, that I'm going to go back to I'll be doing barbell curls, hammer curls and wrist curls. This is what my bicep days look like
Back and Bis
One Arm Rows (2 sets 8-12 reps)
BB curl (1 set 18-22 reps)
Hammer curls (1 set 18-22 reps)
Deadlift (3 sets 6-8 reps)
Reverse DB Wrist Curl (1 set 18-22 reps)
chinups to failure

I do regular wrist curls on my shoulder days.
if thats the routine youre set in on doing id change it to look more like this

Chin ups
One arm rows
deadlift
BB curl
Hammer Curl
Reverse DB curl

you never want to do bi's before or in the middle of back, itll ruin your back workout

never do bi's before deads, your Bicep tendon is under alot of stress during these

never do any wrsit curls before anything, it will effect your grip and lesson the workout you can preform. always do them at the end.

id suggest doing all forearm work that day, since you dont have straps that part of your forearm is going to get worked a little anyway and if you do it another day, say the next day, there not getting enough rest.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established

Chin ups
One arm rows
deadlift
BB curl
Hammer Curl
Reverse DB curl

you never want to do bi's before or in the middle of back, itll ruin your back workout

never do bi's before deads, your Bicep tendon is under alot of stress during these

never do any wrsit curls before anything, it will effect your grip and lesson the workout you can preform. always do them at the end.

id suggest doing all forearm work that day, since you dont have straps that part of your forearm is going to get worked a little anyway and if you do it another day, say the next day, there not getting enough rest.
I have to agree with him on this. You want to do your big compound lifts first, followed by any accessory/isolation lift.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established

Chin ups
One arm rows
deadlift
BB curl
Hammer Curl
Reverse DB curl

Okay so I'll do reverse wrist curls after doing regular wrist curls. Here is my whole routine, if you guys want to critique it. Some people on the forum helped me come up with this routine awhile a go.
Set 1 - Back and Bis
chinups
One Arm Rows (2 sets)
Deadlift (3 sets)
BB curl (1 set)
Hammer curls (1 set)
DB Wrist Curl (1 set)
Reverse DB Wrist Curl (1 set)

Set 2 - Chest and Tris

Bench (3sets)

DB flyes ss DB press (2 sets)
overhead DB extension (1 sets)
Close grip bench press (2 sets)

Set 3 - Legs

Squats or Front Squats(3 sets)
calf raises (2 sets, high reps)
Stiffleg deadlift (3 sets)

Set 5 - Shoulders

Military Press (3 sets)
BB Shrugs (3 sets)
Upright row (2 sets)
DB Shrugs (2 sets)
Lateral Raise (1 set)

Day 1: Back and Biceps
Day 2: Chest and Triceps
Day 3 off
Day 4: off
Day 5: Legs
day 6: Shoulders
day 7 off
day 8 off

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
I don't really have much experience with body part splits, so I'll have to let Ricky give the advice on that one.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
Okay so I'll do reverse wrist curls after doing regular wrist curls. Here is my whole routine, if you guys want to critique it. Some people on the forum helped me come up with this routine awhile a go.
Set 1 - Back and Bis
chinups
One Arm Rows (2 sets)
Deadlift (3 sets)
BB curl (1 set)
Hammer curls (1 set)
DB Wrist Curl (1 set)

Set 2 - Chest and Tris

Bench (3sets)

DB flyes ss DB press (2 sets)
Close grip bench press (2 sets)

Set 3 - Legs

calf raises (2 sets, high reps)
Stiffleg deadlift (3 sets)

Set 5 - Shoulders

Military Press (3 sets)
BB Shrugs (3 sets)
Upright row (2 sets)
DB Shrugs (2 sets)
Lateral Raise (1 set)

Day 1: Back and Biceps
Day 2: Chest and Triceps
Day 3 off
day 7 off
day 8 off
Set 1 - Chest and Tris

Incline Bench (2sets)
DB press (2 sets
DB flyes ss 1 set
Straigh bar cable pushdowns 2 sets

Back and Bis
chinups
One Arm Rows (2 sets)
Deadlift (3 sets)
BB curl (1 set)
Hammer curls (1 set)
DB Wrist Curl (1 set)

Set 3 - Legs

leg curls 2 sets
calf raises 2 sets

Set 5 - Shoulders

Military Press (3 sets)
Lateral Raise (1 set)
Upright row (2 sets)
BB Shrugs (3 sets)
DB Shrugs (2 sets)

Day 1: chest and tris
Day 2: off
Day 3 back and bi's
day 7 off
day 8 off

reasons for my changes:

* dont do back before chest if your going to do biceps with back. you want to do flat flys and your biceps are used in them more than you think. do chest first and youll avoid hitting them too hard

*do incline bench over flat. most people need more upper chest mass and you have no incline work listed. however i suggest doing these on a 15 degree rather than a 45 or 30, it takes more stress off your shoulders and puts more directly on your upper pecs.

* if your going to do triecps with chest down do close grip. your chest will be done and your close grip strength will plummit. do straigh bar cable pushdowns instead if you want to do them on the same day. do these before you finish up with db extentions

I like your rep set ranges, i personally only do one set per exercise but thats a whole nother story. however i personally wouldnt follow this routine but it is a sound one if you want to stick with this for a while. if was unclear about anything let me know so i can help you out.
*dont do straigh leg dead lifts on leg day if your doing regualr deads only a day or two before. too much strain on your lower back and theres plenty of other good exercises to work your hams

*do calves at the end, not in between it will take you leg strength away

* stick with delt work first before you do your traps. do laterals and upwright rows before your shrugs.

*take a day off in between chest and back. if your like me your gonna push it hard and there both hard days so dont put them back to back

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
my last post got messed up but you should still be able to read it

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Well the only problem is I workout at home and have no cables. I just have a golds gym bench with a built in squat rack and dumbbell handles all Olympic though. The bench table and rack are each there own unit, so when I squat I just move the bench table out of the way. It's the Gold's Gym XRS 20. What exercise would you recommend to target my hams and on what day? Also this is what I was told about rep ranges and when to change weight

For the main exercises keep between 6 and 8 reps per set. When you get 24 total then up the weight.
For the secondaries (2 sets) keep between 8 and 12 reps. When you get 24 total then up the weight.
Pick a weight that you can do between 18 and 22 resp with it. When you can do 25 up the weight.
(single sets)

As you can tell I have all this info saved in a text file. Also I've never benched at an incline, but my bench is adjustable. My chest is probably the easiest part of my body to built up, that and my quads. Also I was thinking of alternating barbell rows and one arm rows. What about alternating deadlifts and stiff leg deadlifts each week? I hate leg curls, I don't know why I just do. Does it matter that much if I do them or not?

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
Well the only problem is I workout at home and have no cables. I just have a golds gym bench with a built in squat rack and dumbbell handles all Olympic though. The bench table and rack are each there own unit, so when I squat I just move the bench table out of the way. It's the Gold's Gym XRS 20. What exercise would you recommend to target my hams and on what day? Also this is what I was told about rep ranges and when to change weight

For the main exercises keep between 6 and 8 reps per set. When you get 24 total then up the weight.
For the secondaries (2 sets) keep between 8 and 12 reps. When you get 24 total then up the weight.
Pick a weight that you can do between 18 and 22 resp with it. When you can do 25 up the weight.
(single sets)

As you can tell I have all this info saved in a text file. Also I've never benched at an incline, but my bench is adjustable. My chest is probably the easiest part of my body to built up, that and my quads. Also I was thinking of alternating barbell rows and one arm rows. What about alternating deadlifts and stiff leg deadlifts each week? I hate leg curls, I don't know why I just do. Does it matter that much if I do them or not?
agh, now i know you training at home, still great though, nothing wrong with it. for your rep ranges 6-8 is great for strength and size gains, however going up to 24 reps in my opinion is way too much for working on strength and mass. my rule of thumb is i start with a weight and get 6 reps. i work my way up to 10-12, then i up the weight. dont go past 12 if your working on strength/mass gains.

If you havent benched on an incline, start and keep it for awhile.
You can switch straight leg deags and reagualr week by week if you want. both very similar, id just pick one personally.

i know you said you hate leg curls but man sometimes you just gotta do stuff you hate. theres other exercises but i think standing leg curls or lying curls are your best bet. plus your limited in equipment. you cant avoid building those hams. its very important. alot of guys build nice quads but have NO hams and it just looks all wrong.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
agh, now i know you training at home, still great though, nothing wrong with it. for your rep ranges 6-8 is great for strength and size gains, however going up to 24 reps in my opinion is way too much for working on strength and mass. my rule of thumb is i start with a weight and get 6 reps. i work my way up to 10-12, then i up the weight. dont go past 12 if your working on strength/mass gains.

If you havent benched on an incline, start and keep it for awhile.
You can switch straight leg deags and reagualr week by week if you want. both very similar, id just pick one personally.

i know you said you hate leg curls but man sometimes you just gotta do stuff you hate. theres other exercises but i think standing leg curls or lying curls are your best bet. plus your limited in equipment. you cant avoid building those hams. its very important. alot of guys build nice quads but have NO hams and it just looks all wrong.
Well one of the reasons I hate doing leg curls is that doing them on my bench atleast the ones where you lye on your stomach, it feels very uncomfortable with my bench just the way it's made. So am I going to be doing 6-8 for each exercise no matter how many sets I'm doing?

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
Well one of the reasons I hate doing leg curls is that doing them on my bench atleast the ones where you lye on your stomach, it feels very uncomfortable with my bench just the way it's made. So am I going to be doing 6-8 for each exercise no matter how many sets I'm doing?
essentially. i personally only do one set like i said earlier and i find that works best for max gains if that sets taken to beyond failure. if you train that way right its impossible to duplicate another set.

however, if your doing multiple sets its your choice. you can do 12 for your first, 10 second and 8 third, or 10, 8, 6, or anything else you want. if you want to know whats better, then your just going to get alot of opininons. you have do experiement for your own body and see what your body responds to the best. like me, i used to do 5 sets, ok gains, then i went to 4 sets, ok gains, then i went to 3 sets great gains, then i switch the 1 set and my gains were just sick, i mean rediculous. that was all over a 6 year time fram though. this isnt a fast process but its fun.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
essentially. i personally only do one set like i said earlier and i find that works best for max gains if that sets taken to beyond failure. if you train that way right its impossible to duplicate another set.

however, if your doing multiple sets its your choice. you can do 12 for your first, 10 second and 8 third, or 10, 8, 6, or anything else you want. if you want to know whats better, then your just going to get alot of opininons. you have do experiement for your own body and see what your body responds to the best. like me, i used to do 5 sets, ok gains, then i went to 4 sets, ok gains, then i went to 3 sets great gains, then i switch the 1 set and my gains were just sick, i mean rediculous. that was all over a 6 year time fram though. this isnt a fast process but its fun.
Well thanks a lot for the advise. I didn't even see you were in Fredrick. I was thinking of doing something like this. For exercises I do 3 sets with do 6-8 reps when I get all 8 reps for all 3 sets bump up the weight. do something like 8-12 reps on my 2 set exercises when I get 12 reps for both sets bump up the weight. And for my single sets go 8-12 and when I hit 12 bump it up. Or maybe on my 2 set exercises go 6-8 and when I hit 8 on both sets bump it up. Something like that.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
Well thanks a lot for the advise. I didn't even see you were in Fredrick. I was thinking of doing something like this. For exercises I do 3 sets with do 6-8 reps when I get all 8 reps for all 3 sets bump up the weight. do something like 8-12 reps on my 2 set exercises when I get 12 reps for both sets bump up the weight. And for my single sets go 8-12 and when I hit 12 bump it up. Or maybe on my 2 set exercises go 6-8 and when I hit 8 on both sets bump it up. Something like that.
yeah man, give that a shot for a few weeks and see how you feel about it. sounds good

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
yeah man, give that a shot for a few weeks and see how you feel about it. sounds good
The reason I had like 3 days between back days and leg days is because after heavy deads it took my legs atleast 3 days to recover before doing squats, but of course my routine was different than the one you suggested and I was only on this routine two months before I got injured. Like I said before I don't have any cables, so do you think I should do more exercises for triceps besides overhead DB extension? Also if I alternate one arm rows and barbell rows, how many sets of barbell rows do you recommend?

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
The reason I had like 3 days between back days and leg days is because after heavy deads it took my legs atleast 3 days to recover before doing squats, but of course my routine was different than the one you suggested and I was only on this routine two months before I got injured. Like I said before I don't have any cables, so do you think I should do more exercises for triceps besides overhead DB extension? Also if I alternate one arm rows and barbell rows, how many sets of barbell rows do you recommend?
yeah do skull crushers since you dont have cables. id only do 1-2 sets of the rows

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
my hands are starting to tingle alot and fall asleep. I'll also get a dull pain in my hands and fingers, mainly my index fingers and thumbs.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
yeah, my forearms and hands fall alseep daily without fail. sometimes i cant even feel my left hand and my fingers twitch. things are damaged and they just need rest. stretch and rest man. i took last week off and already feel a little better