tricep help!!!!

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

tricep help!!!!

I need some good bulking exersizes for the lateral head of the tricep,and some if any for the lower tricep please!!

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.

my 3 tricep exercises are

close grip bench
    weighted dips
    reverse grip seated dips

remember that triceps have 3 heads, all of which are stimulated by a change of grip on the bar - overhand, underhand and parallel. towards that end, the pulldown machine is great for isolation, but not the best for mass.
  3. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Word. I start out with close-grip and move to either lying extensions or overhead extensions followed by pressdowns.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

What these guys said and when I really want to make it intense I do dips with a perfered weight tied to my belt.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  238 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Word. I start out with close-grip and move to either lying extensions or overhead extensions followed by pressdowns.
    Pretty much what I do, sometimes I change up and do reverse press downs and kickbacks at the end or horizontal weighted dips, although weighted close grip dips are good too.I also have done close grip MP which isn't bad when kept in control. I love working tris!
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.

In my opinion, pretty much everything that everyone above me has said is true. I don't think it's really hard to work your triceps. I mean, you're already getting a lot of triceps work when you do any pressing movement. Any time you straighten your arm against resistance, your triceps are going to become involved. Now, as far as getting your triceps to get bigger, that just comes with time and overall size. If you want larger triceps, try to gain overall mass. Just know that your arms are only going to get so big before you need to increase your overall size.

Also, sometimes less is more. I've found out that for me, doing less direct arm work actually makes them respond better. I like to tack on a little direct triceps work at the end of a chest or shoulder routine. Actually, I'm starting to think that I really respond well to working my body in a push/pull/legs fashion. Or in other words, if I'm already working my chest and shoulders, my triceps respond well to being directly worked at the end of that routine. BUT I can't do high volume for arms or I'll be overtraining them. Here's an example of a couple push workouts that I've done...

Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
    Incline DB Press 4 x 10, 8, 6, 4-6
    Flat DB Press 4 x 10, 8, 6, 4-6
    Arnold Presses superset with Rear Laterals 3 each x 6-8
    x 1 iso triceps exercise (usually extensions, sometimes pushdowns) 4 x 6-8

Shoulders/Chest/Triceps
    DB Shoulder Press or Upright Rows 4 x 10, 8, 6, 4-6
    Side Laterals 4 x 10, 6-8
    Incline Bench Press 4 x 10, 8, 6, 4-6
    Superset Incline Flyes with DB Pullovers 3 each x 6-8 (pullovers x 12-15)
    x 1 compound triceps exercise (GG curl bar bench or dips)

So I try to keep in mind how much my triceps are already working during my chest/shoulders work, but since they've already been worked and warmed up, I'll go ahead and work them directly AFTER my chest/shoulders work.

For me, less is usually more. Now, I love working my arms and if I could, I'd work them all the time, but I'd be counter productive. Try working them less and see if you notice them becoming stronger and fuller.
  7. Registered User

lying extensions 2 sets
    pushdowns 2 sets
    overhead extension 1 set

for me 4-6 reps
    heavy
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

yea man thats true,i have real big triceps but lacking in my lower tricep and outer

i highly appreicte that everyone thanks!
  9. Registered User

as with everything there is a lot of person to person variation

heavy and low reps is what does it for me like i said
    some people do 12 reps... for me personally thats crazy i am so bored after 6
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  123 lbs.

Push ups help alot with building triceps and most of your upper body as well so its a good exercise, do a couple hundred everyother day- make sure your back is flat and that you touch the ground with your nose, if it doesnt burn enough, try doing em slowly like 3 seconds up 3 seconds down.
  11. Registered User

I've been struggling with triceps development, mostly because in my younger days I neglected then quite a bit and they fell behind. I've tried pretty much everything and all of the above has helped somewhat, but has really helped of the past few weeks is weighted close grip dips. Go heavy, ie only 5- 6 reps and go all the down so your forearms are more or less touching your upper arms and when you go back up hold the contraction for half a sec or so. Its the first time in years my triceps have looked developed as the rest of my arms.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Still no left tricep WTF
    By JayRock in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-07-2011, 10:39 PM
  2. calcification of tricep
    By AUTO in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-17-2008, 07:53 AM
  3. Lower Tricep
    By edwardyi in forum Training Forum