Summer is around the corner!

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Every year about this time trainees start looking out the window and see the trees sprouting leaves, the flowers blooming, the days getting longer, and yes.....finally!!! The sun shining! They then look in the mirror and see the layer of winter fat brought on by careless "bulking" and decide it's time to do something about it.........and they wait................and wait a little longer.......then put it off........and then damn if it's not summer, and damned if they are not stuck being fat another summer and wanting to hide their selves under a t-shirt for yet another year.

DON'T LET THIS BE YOU!

If you want to make it happen this year, now is the time to start (unless you are quite fat, and the time to start was actually a few months ago.)

This summer will come regardless if your physique is ready for it or not. Don't be left behind. Start your diet now, if you are unsure of how to lose fat while building muscle Animals Animobolics diet

is a good place to start. I have all my trainees interested in fat loss doing a timed carb diet and will tell you if you are not at least building a reasonable amount muscle and always going up in strength while dropping bodyfat you ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG (probably many things actually). If you want precision while doing this summers cutting phase consider hiring me to train you. For 50 bucks a month all aspects of diet/training/supplementation is laid out for you, and I am there to field any questions or concerns you may have along the way.

Iron Addict

quasar

Awards
could you post animal's diet plan or are you suggesting we pay for access to his site?

is your timed carb diet something like the carb cycling diet posted over at avant?

maggmaster

Awards
  • Established
I used to read that site a lot but i refused to pay for it when they went to a pay site. Animalbolics if I remember correctly was based on Animals idea that when you are cutting you should actually eat less meals, this had some interesting anectdotal science backing it up involving insulin and the lipolysis action of low insulin. He essentially bracketed the workout with carbs and ate mostly protein and good fats elsewhere. There were som reccomendations involving fruit I think like 2-400 calorie a day from fruit toi keep thyroid hormones high. All in all it wasnt bad I used it two summers ago and liked it but over at avant you can get many equally good plans for free. Or you can ask people here and thety will hook you up.

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you don't have access to Animals board you of course will not be able to read the info there. We can only hope he opens it back up to the public. I would glady pay the one time 10 buck fee if I were not a member, but totally understand that many do not feel the same way.

My timed carb diets are done with no carbs until pre, and post WO, and I structure from 1-5 days of carb days dependent on the trainees goals and metabolism. I do NOT keep the meals anywhere as infrequent as Animobolics.

Iron Addict

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
All in all it wasnt bad .
If your talking about his theories, yes it is. Obvisouly he hasn't heard of the Insulin Index and the concept of glycaemic load. But back to IA's thread...

I'm glad to see he doesn't follow the same diet plan.

Jcc

Awards
  • Established
IA, I am curious about the caloric intake you have your trainees on. Without getting too specific, of course, since this is what your clients pay you for... but I just want a general idea of the total calories some of your bigger trainees are taking in for fat loss.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Well on training days I am on 2700 calories... and I am 279 as of today...

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Well on training days I am on 2700 calories... and I am 279 as of today...
Damn, when I was at 250 before my last cut, I had to eat 5400 cals just for maintenance. It would be soooooo nice to only eat 2700cals/day. Hell, I'd be thankful for 3800-4kcals....

Matt, when you were my age (22), did you have to eat any where near as much as me?

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
hell yes.. I have never had a problem with eating or adding muscle.. only problem is that sometimes I have a habit of adding some fat with it... and with the back surgery in December, it kinda screwed up my diet and working out.. but I am back at it now and things are going pretty good

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I see what you mean. I'm kinda the same way, I'll still be pretty lean, but for the most part, I can gain pretty easy now as long as the cals are up. But OTOH, I will gain some fat if not keeping a very close eye on the types/times of foods that I eat.

I have actually started to implement a type of carb cycling during bulks that works well for me. It's like a weekly cycle though. Everything must fall into place throughout the week for it work....

Jcc

Awards
  • Established
Damn, when I was at 250 before my last cut, I had to eat 5400 cals just for maintenance. It would be soooooo nice to only eat 2700cals/day. Hell, I'd be thankful for 3800-4kcals....
No ****. I'm 23; hopefully my metabolism drops as I get older. :D I HATE shooting for 5-6k calories.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
No ****. I'm 23; hopefully my metabolism drops as I get older. :D I HATE shooting for 5-6k calories.
Hehe, patience is a virtue. Although I'm the most impatient person you'll ever meet. :( :D

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Jcc,

It is truly all over the board. As an example looking back to 2 different trainees I setup last week that both had close to the same bodyfat levels, and weighed within 5 lbs of each other. One weighed 215, the other 220. One guy was started out at 4000 cals a day, the other at 2500. This is a damn big spread, but I am confident both of these numbers are good starting points for each trainee. A trainee with a screaming fast metabolism that is knocking off excess bodyfat from a winter of bulking usually has far different requirements than the extreme endo that is slugging away at the last 15 lbs or so after a LONG time dieting to get to that point.

There are many, many factors involved with determining a good baseline macro-nutrient and caloric level to get cut. I absolutely cringe when I see people trying to use one of the so-called standard mathematical formulas to determine intake. I guess if you are totally unknowing its better than nothing, but no by much.

Iron Addict

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I also think one of the best methods is to determine diet based on hormonal response. The only way to really determine this is through time and tinkering but there are many baselines from which to start. There are just countless ways to manipulate the biochemistry of the human body and maximize muscle gain along with weightloss. FOr the beginner, its a failry easy process and can get extremely tough when your talking about mature trained women (the toughest overall).

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Jcc,

It is truly all over the board. As an example looking back to 2 different trainees I setup last week that both had close to the same bodyfat levels, and weighed within 5 lbs of each other. One weighed 215, the other 220. One guy was started out at 4000 cals a day, the other at 2500. This is a damn big spread, but I am confident both of these numbers are good starting points for each trainee. A trainee with a screaming fast metabolism that is knocking off excess bodyfat from a winter of bulking usually has far different requirements than the extreme endo that is slugging away at the last 15 lbs or so after a LONG time dieting to get to that point.

There are many, many factors involved with determining a good baseline macro-nutrient and caloric level to get cut. I absolutely cringe when I see people trying to use one of the so-called standard mathematical formulas to determine intake. I guess if you are totally unknowing its better than nothing, but no by much.

Iron Addict
that is such a good point.

i didn't start bodybuilding in the first place to pick up a calculator and refer back to my mathematics skills at school.

just recently i started having my carbs pre & post post w/o ONLY with the rest of my meals being consisting mostly of low-fat protein, EFA's & other clean fats, & fiber (broccolli, cauli etc.)

i have a carb day every 4 days. (high glycemic carbs) this is VERY important to me to avoid going flat in energy & muscle fullness. my abs are coming in nicely without losing too much size everywhere else.

Jag

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The majority of Milos Sarcev's cleints do the 4 day low, 1 day high regiment.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I definitely agree that diet is so unique to the individual it is hard to give general guidelines sometimes, except for beginners as Bobo said.

I finally hit my stride cutting with about 2500 cals, around 40/20/40. I honestly do not need much more for bulking though, maybe 3000-3500, but more than that and it's pointless for me.

As far as women.....jesus my GF is the hardest person to work with, simply because of they way she reacts to diet, training and supps....totally different from guys it seems.

Last edited:
bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I definitely agree that diet is so unique to the individual it is hard to give general guidelines sometimes, except for beginners as Bobo said.

I finally hit my stride cutting with about 2500 cals, around 40/20/40. I honestly do not need mush more for bulking though, maybe 3000-3500, but mor ethan that and it's pointless for me.

As far as women.....jesus my GF is the hardest person to work with, simply because of they way she reacts to diet, training and supps....totally different from guys it seems.

That and no one wants to listen to their significant other. My wife is probably the most stubborn person I have ever tried to advise, lol. If I turned her over to a trainer she'd repeat everything the guy said back to me with enthusiasm..even though it'd probably be the same damned advice.

The "Math" concept has always bugged me as well. Metabolisms vary so widely I just don't cotton to some guy screaming at me to eat 500 grams of protein a day or I'm "wasting my time"...when I'm gaining just fine on 300.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I guess I'm lucky, my GF listens to everything and follows every word I say for diet and training and even then its tough just because of female physiology and the major difference in hormones (even tougher when they get older). It took longer but she has 6 pack now and some pretty nice guns to go along with it but still remains very feminine. Jesse if you need any tips or help let me know because with women there are so many little tricks. You'd be surprised how many things work for us but have zero effect on them. Women........

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

I finally hit my stride cutting with about 2500 cals, around 40/20/40. I honestly do not need mush more for bulking though, maybe 3000-3500, but mor ethan that and it's pointless for me.
QUOTE]

I'm finding that I'm just the same..when dieting I need around 2500 as well, however too much higher and I become a lard-ass...Its hit or miss with me. It sucks.