Squat/flexablity/back......

Pitbull14218

Pitbull14218

Awards
Ok, so im trying to gain mass, Today i went to the Gym to do some squats. I always take my time and warm up try to stretch alittle too. My Hamstrings are probly pretty strong from deadlifting. Basically I dont remember once in my life(and i remember when i was in elementary school gym class) being able to bend down and touch my toe's! I think this is killing me squat! I didnt really go to heavy but basically my upper body wants to learn forward as i go down... I can feel my lower back while i'm doing this, and i just dont want to hurt myself! Unless its normal for your lower back to feel a little when your going down, i dont know! I think im just not flexable.

I have a pretty decent deadlift, i deadlifted 225lbsx5( no belt or wrist straps) and i only did it 5 times because i just dont want to hurt myself... this was Tuesday, my lower back didnt feel sore today but maybe thats why i felt a little when i went to squat i dont know, but i think its a flexability issue.

Also, should i wear a belt when im squating? Or if i start going even heavier on my deadlift? THanks!

SewicydMsya

Awards
You should stretch more. Look up things on hip mobility.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
You need to do static stretching on non lifting days, or after lifting, and dynamic stretching before lifting.
If you are falling forward while squatting make sure you keep your chest and head up, if you look down you will fall forward. And I don't mean look up at the sky, but look forward/sightly up. Make sure you keep your lower back arched and sit back into the squat, like you are sitting on a toilet.

Here are a couple article that could help you:
Falling forward in squat
Teaching the squat
Box squatting

I would only use a belt if you are lifting near your 1 RM. I think it limits core strength if you wear a belt all the time.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
It's really tough to know what's going on without a video. Are you leaning forward with an arched back or is your back rounding over? Some degree of forward lean is necessary to keep the weight centered over your feet, but if it's excessive or you are rounding over it's problem. You can also stay more upright by widening your stance and/or pushing your knees out as you descend. Even if you do things correctly, your lower back will get some work squatting just from holding a static contraction to maintain your arch.
Read the articles suggested above to help learn correct squat form and technique.

Pitbull14218

Pitbull14218

Awards
Thx guys, I was thinking of widening my stance.

17amethyl

Awards
  • Established
This is a great thread, i cant tell you how many times i see people posting about this problem but they seem to have a hard time articulating exactly whats wrong

for a while i used to abuse my lower back on squats in order to go below parallel...an unrelated back injury forced me to do extensive stretching of the hamstring, glutes, and lower back which i noticed directly improved the weight and form on my squat

im looking foward to reading some of the sources posted here

BKemp

Awards
You are going to use your back when you squat and you will definitely feel it when you go heavy. Be sure you lead with your hips and bend them first, the bend in your knees will follow naturally. If you have to lean excessively, you need to get on a regular stretching routine and stretch after you lift and on off days. I like to even stretch in between sets, I am willing to give up a little strength during my normal workouts and stay mobile.

As stated above, I also would not recommend using a belt to keep a strong core unless near your 1RM.

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
theres some muscle on you that is weak. for a test have your hands lifted straight up to the sky
face forward
and do a squat

if you still lean forward you might have a weakend core section.

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Yeah I have a weak core and this happens to me as well. Hit some weighted planks for a while. Don't squat unless you can get the form down perfect. Lower weight if you have to. Eventually you will build it up.