"Decline is for pussies"

Xpballer

Awards
  • Established
There's this monster of a body builder that goes to my gym, and he's also a personal trainer. He (along with some of his buddies) say NOT to do ANY decline presses, you only need flat and incline. He said theres more triceps involved, and people only like it because they can load more weight on.

Discuss?

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
If they work for you do them. But I personally think flat and incline gives you all you need. Tricep involvement can be changed by both variations of grip width and by the way the elbows are "tucked" in, out, forward, or back during the lift.

Between flat and incline presses, flies, and dips, I think for a bodybuilder, there is no need for decline. But if YOU see gains by doing them,...... dont stop doing them just because someone else doesn't like them.

Perfect example: I know plenty of big guys that say DB tricep kickbacks are for girls and pusses. Yet I know plenty of other BB'ers that swear by them. So,.. find out what works for you.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Bloke I train with says the same thing. Decline has less delt involvement, and really only useful if you got some sort of injury. Stick to incline/flat press.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Bloke I train with says the same thing. Decline has less delt involvement, and really only useful if you got some sort of injury. Stick to incline/flat press.
The Truf!!!

..and this is coming from a non big! :bigok:

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
i was intrigued by the heading so i thought id take a look
i dont know if its the same in the states but ***** is the nickname for a certain part of the female anatomy , so i had visions of all the females in the gym doing decline exercises to strengthen the above.

hitsquaddd

hitsquaddd

Awards
i dont know if its the same in the states but ***** is the nickname for a certain part of the female anatomy , so i had visions of all the females in the gym doing decline exercises to strengthen the above.
:32: hahaha

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There's this monster of a body builder that goes to my gym, and he's also a personal trainer. He (along with some of his buddies) say NOT to do ANY decline presses, you only need flat and incline. He said theres more triceps involved, and people only like it because they can load more weight on.

Discuss?
WGAF what any dude at the gym says about anything?
The Truf!!!

..and this is coming from a non big! :bigok:
Yeah, and down there their toliets flush in a clockwise direction.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
I will occasionally do decline, just for a change. I think it helps if you do it rarely. This way you at least beat muscle memory. I think some guys think its the sh** because they can stack more weight on the bar since it's easier to get up.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Perfect example: I know plenty of big guys that say DB tricep kickbacks are for girls and pusses. Yet I know plenty of other BB'ers that swear by them. So,.. find out what works for you.
I swear by tricep kick backs too. Do them right with little weight and it's mostly tricep vs rope pulldowns and cable pulldowns which a lot of guys are doing wrong.

I find that I can lift maximum weight at flat so I don't know about the advantage of decline. Maybe it's because the chest is higher and the bar doesn't have to come down as much but I feel them well. What works for one doesn't work for all. Variation is always good to keep the body from being bored.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I really like decline flys, but I'm very mixed about decline presses. A little too much front delts in them, but it always helps to mix in a little variety.

gotbench600

Awards
I guess it depnds on what your looking to do. Close gri, about a little less than shoulder width apart, declines are great for building tricep size and power. I'm a powerlifter that excels in the bench press so using close declines as an assistance exercise to increse my lockout on the bench press is a great option. For body builders and generla gym rats, the movement can be sued during a bulking phase to build your tri's up.

Just my 2 cents

Psychabinol

Awards
  • Established
what if you want to minimize delt growth, then go with declines?

SamuraiSid

Awards
I will occasionally do decline, just for a change. I think it helps if you do it rarely. This way you at least beat muscle memory. I think some guys think its the sh** because they can stack more weight on the bar since it's easier to get up.
I suppose you have to keep in mind that the average person is really f'ing stupid. And considering the vast majority of the guys I see at the gym, they enjoy exercises that allow for maximum weight lifted, and not much else. So that would make sence why some people are against certain lifts.

But if you notice it works for you, then do it.

Sergio Olivia built a massive chest with nothing other than a Straight Bench Press.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Im enjoying heavy flys followed by moderate cable cross-overs

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
I really like decline flys, but I'm very mixed about decline presses. A little too much front delts in them, but it always helps to mix in a little variety.
same here, which is why I do flies all three ways.

phL8Tme

phL8Tme

Awards
Declines suck! I'm short so it hurts my knees and my head feels like it's gonna pop! I'd rather do cable flys standing and smash my nuts with the grips!

Xpballer

Awards
  • Established
lmao. Yeah, thats what i meant.... Decline strengthens one's ***** :bigok:

jk. I totally forgot about this thread after i made it :/. Glad i checked back lol

mattikus

mattikus

Awards
  • Established
Close grip decline presses are awesome for the tris.

cmc

cmc

Awards
I like decline dumbell presses super setted with dips. Works well for me.

And as it was mentioned..do what works well for you. if you have been lifting long enough, have done the trial and error, you will learn which exercises and principles work for you.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Close grip decline presses are awesome for the tris.
I agree.

for me they work well and I can move some decent weight on them. i have never been strong on bench movements but the best i did on decline barbell a couple weeks ago was 275- 8 x's and I think they may be better for taller guys. I am much better on picking on things from the floor and naturally stronger in this regard. Most tall people are.

In my bench pressing days(I stopped bench pressing three years ago) I got into the gyms "bench press club" at 300 lbs but again i have never been naturally strong at this and feel my front delts a lot. i am a bodybuilder and do not care how much i can lift like I used to. I care how much i can stimulate the muscle through, form, technique, white fiber recruitment.

Most tall guys are not good pressers due to they way they are built. short guys are much better at pressing and tall guys are built better for pulling type movement like the dead lift due to mechanics. look it up if you doubt this.

on a side note how many guys do you see with big lower chest and not much development on the upper chest. almost every guy in the gym. Inclines presses (some say neck presses)are where you really get the chest to look nice

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
I always thought that weighted dips hit the same areas better then declines.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you forgot about
petting kangaroos in our backyard and a free syphilis sample from koalas
don't forget

I do decline press, but its just in rotation with the other exercises since I do DC. so 1 chest day out of 3 is incline, 1 flat, and 1 decline.

seanlambo

seanlambo

Awards
i've heard decline dumbell presses recruit the most amount of chest muscle fibers...but i'm not 100% that its true

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice, so that study suggests that the decline would be better suited for overall chest development over the incline...

I love science. It never ceases to change it's mind :p

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
phhhht to hell with science, a bodybuilder in my gym said they are no good.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
but he's a monster AND he's also a personal trainer...you're just old.

Xpballer

Awards
  • Established
but he's a monster AND he's also a personal trainer...you're just old.
Ok.. I ignored your first post where you took a stab at me, and maybe im reading this wrong, but I feel like you're back at it again. I didnt say he was right, i just made a post about what he said and said discuss. If you dont like what youre reading, get out.

:edit: I did find your article interesting though... however they didnt compare a flat bench. Of course a flat or decline press would work 'more' of your chest than an incline.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
A flat may work more than the other two but most people toss out decline in favor of incline for a full chest workout. That study just suggests the belief may be flawed. However, i'll continue with hitting all three angles just in case they come out with another study stating that study was wrong :)

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok.. I ignored your first post where you took a stab at me, and maybe im reading this wrong, but I feel like you're back at it again. I didnt say he was right, i just made a post about what he said and said discuss. If you dont like what youre reading, get out.
Lighten up Francis. I'll come and go as I please - thanks. :)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

:edit: I did find your article interesting though... however they didnt compare a flat bench. Of course a flat or decline press would work 'more' of your chest than an incline.
he was more responding to me and my making fun, as we've both ended up in threads over and over (moreso in steroid related, but often diet + exercise as well) where someone 19, 6'2, 160lbs and likely never saw a good picture of a steroid much less used one is passing on broscience as "what you have to do to get anything" or "the only way to bring your balls back to life" while actually arguing against scientific evidence.

Its a pet peeve of mine :). Like there is no evidence a CKD at the same total calories as a 40/40/20 diet preserves more muscle or loses more fat regardless of broscience. No medical study that i've ever seen found or heard of has shown a statistically significant difference. Do some people feel better on a CKD? yes. Do they like that they get plumped back up and feel bigger again after a carbup? yes. Does either of that make any difference as to fat loss or muscle loss? no. Does that stop 60% of the guys here from using a CKD to cut? no. Do I still use a ckd to cut? Sometimes, but only because i'm not a huge carb fan anyhow, and its a little easier at times to deal with the ckd as far as measuring and servings, and I never am scrambling then to try and find an appropriate carb source only to realize all thats in the house is bread and bananas :) Cause there is always coconut oil, olive oil, grapeseed oil, etc here.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Heat Miser again.
sorry,.... I laughed so hard i spilled my drank!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You just made the list, buddy. And I don't like nobody touching my stuff. So just keep your meat-hooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. Also, I don't like nobody touching me. Now, any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established

A few links I have posted before on this and related articles.

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/mark4.htm

http://www.miotec.com.br/pdf/ISEK2008_0242.pdf

http://www.edulife.com.br/dados\Ar...20Peitoral.pdf

http://www.baymasters.org/MorePower!.html

http://www.angelfire.com/tx/APATX/ar...nch_Press.html