Founder of Power Bar dead....

smike319

Awards
Ok I know this looks like it is in the wrong forum but the reason I posted it hear is because my question is related to exercize.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/West/03/20/obit.maxwell.ap/index.html

First it's unfortunate that an ex-marathon runner dies of a heart attack at 51yrs old. I wonder what the cause was, it really does not say in the article at all.
Ok on to the question I had. Read the article and take note of the next to the last sentence in it. I have always been so worried of burning muscle and not carbs and fat while either bulking or leaning out, but when I read that sentence it states that your body doesn't actually start burning muscle until you hit "the wall" around the 21 mile mark. If this is the case I should have no fear of burning any muscle no matter how much cardio I do as long as I don't run 21 miles straight, which I have no plans of doing.
I am just curious what others opinions are on this statement and if there is any truth to it or not.

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
First it's unfortunate that an ex-marathon runner dies of a heart attack at 51yrs old. I wonder what the cause was, it really does not say in the article at all.
Ok on to the question I had. Read the article and take note of the next to the last sentence in it. I have always been so worried of burning muscle and not carbs and fat while either bulking or leaning out, but when I read that sentence it states that your body doesn't actually start burning muscle until you hit "the wall" around the 21 mile mark. If this is the case I should have no fear of burning any muscle no matter how much cardio I do as long as I don't run 21 miles straight, which I have no plans of doing.
I am just curious what others opinions are on this statement and if there is any truth to it or not.
1) Surprisingly, many marathon runners die from heart related conditions. The main cause of this is that the heart can become over-developed with so much of workload, and this can lead to enlargement of the muscle, and eventually a heart attack when the heart doesn't have enough space in the chest to contract properly. A second cause of heart attack amongst marathon runners is a lack of electrolytes during a prolonged run; once the electrolytes are depleted, the runner may die of sudden death because the heart as well as brain lose their ability to function properly

2) Whoever wrote this article is an idiot regarding that 21 mile comment. They didn't take into mind that energy balance and intensity levels also play a big part of fuel usage during exercise. Regardless, you will be burning a percentage of muscle tissue at all times during cardiovascular exercise. The lower the intensity, the lower the percent used (and the more fat used during). The higher the intensity, the higher percentage used (and the more carbs used during). The cause can be helped by taking either whey protein or BCAAs an hour before cardio, but even then, a little bit of muscle tissue will still be used.

Note that I said the more fat/carbs used DURING, because it has been show that HIT will continue burning calories and fat for 24 hours after the session has been completed, and that low-intensity has no after-burn effects.

Also note that marathon runners have bodies that are now accustomed to such long runs, and their bodies are very efficient at utilizing all three substrates for energy during their runs.

smike319

Awards
Thanks for replying Sheesh, I had no idea that marathon runners were that much more subject to heart attacks than regular people. About a year ago I was thinking of doing a marathon, even did a mock-up 25 mile run just to see if I could. I was much smaller then, no way I'd be able to do that now on my 210lb frame. :)
It sounded like that statement the author made was coming from someone that didn't know what the hell he was talking about. Just made me think I might have missed something. Thanks for clearing that up!