Buying options - Glute Ham Raise Machine

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
I'm looking to add a Glute Ham Raise Machine to my home gym. The one I've had my eye on is sold at Elite Fitness (Elite Fitness Systems) but I really don't want to pay $185 for shipping.

I've looked and haven't found many others for sale anywhere. Does anyone know of any other companies that make a quality GHR?

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
I would go with the one you have been looking at. Any GHR is going to be expensive to ship. I don't know of any quality GHR that you can go to a store and pick up.
My gym got a cheap one and it sucked. The knee pad started disintegrating on one side and you had to bundle up a rug or towel and stick it on one side to keep things balanced. After a while it got so bad it wasn't usable anymore.

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
The shipping is the only thing holding me back on the purchase, really. I think the item price is fine, but I can't swallow $200 for shipping.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
i just do pull throughs, good mornings etc... for reverse hyper i use the single leg hamstring curls where u put ur arms on the pad on of ur knees on the pad and curl, but i put the pad for the knee down and swing my leg up and dont flex at the knee.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I have used the Elite one, and it really is the Sh!t. With that said it is rather expensive once everything is said and done. I have been looking at getting the following one myself but I have yet to hear any real feedback on the thing, I will probably get it though sometime in the next few months:
http://www.theg2scart.com/

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
Yeah man, that one is more in my price range. Still $110 for shipping though.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Don't let the shipping thing hang you up so much, think of it as just the actual cost of the product. The GHR from the g2g store is going to be about $500 after everything and the one from elite is going to be about $900 IIRC after everything. The one from elite is going to last your lifetime and it is sturdy as a rock, the g2g one on the other hand may be just as good but there isn't a lot of info out on it yet.

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
Good points. Considering I only work out at home, and this is one of the last things I need to buy, I need to suck it up and just do it.

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
I've looked around at these too for a while. I've pretty much decided on the EFS one.

There's also one at http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/
For me the NY BB one is a close second.

That one is ok, but honestly, you will want the one from EFS. The build quality is really good and the larger footplate is helpful. I've heard nothing but good things about these after people order them.

No matter which one you get....get the split pad.

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established
I got one from BFS about 10-12 yrs. ago. It's great, does the job. There's no difference from the one I have to these fancy, shiney ones they have out now.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
We had new york barbell model that fell apart after a year or two.
Keep in mind that they did extensive testing on the elitefts GHR to make sure the pad angle was perfect to optimally stimulate the hamstrings. You aren't likely to get that in some of these cheaper models. If money isn't an issue I would go with the elitefts model. Now if funds are limited, you have to get what you can afford.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Keep in mind that they did extensive testing on the elitefts GHR to make sure the pad angle was perfect to optimally stimulate the hamstrings. You aren't likely to get that in some of these cheaper models. If money isn't an issue I would go with the elitefts model. Now if funds are limited, you have to get what you can afford.

Ya i have to agree here Elite is a very top notch company. Only other option that is much cheaper and i think you probably already know about is the old try and find something to put your ankles under and pad your knees and do it on the ground. You may not feel them the same as the actual machine, but a trick i use to help is do about 5-6 sets of some glute activation exercises then some staright leg deads , then move on the floor version and see what that does for you.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Totally true. I have spent time with Dave and he explained the whole thing. Use an EFS model and you will see the difference very quick.

Also - This weekend is EFS's annual equipment sale AND they just released their econo GHR...
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=3243

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
Good info man. Unfortunately it's Christmas time... and time to spend money on others. I'll see what's for sale in Jan/Feb.

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Why get one of those and not a reverse hyperextention machine?

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why get one of those and not a reverse hyperextention machine?
GET BOTH!
Personally, I use the Rev Hyper as a rehab/prehab machine. The GHR/GHD is much more efficient at activating the glutes, hams, calves, low back, etc.
Again - Just for me.
With this machine, you can also do horizontal back extensions that really fire me up. Not at all as effective for low back pre-hab/restoration but a very effective move.