85lb dumbells,

dcf143

Awards
been doing incline dumbbells as my first chest exercise for quite a few months now, looking to switch over to incline barbell---not really sure what the weight should be---any guesses, obv. it's trial and error. just curios.

dcf143

Awards
anyone...

how much does your dumbell v. barbell differ?

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Its hard to say, in my experience dumbells work stabilizer muscles a lot more. If my bench is slacking due to factors other than chest strength I will switch to dumbells for a while. Ill wait to see improvement there before switching back.

I would say do your warm up. then add weight each set listening to your body. That is how you can find where you are at. There are a lot of factors that come into play since it is a compound lift.

To answer your question to the best of my ability i would say a bit more than double. 85 x 2 = 170. I would say 185 would not be out of the question. But everyone is different. Let us know how it goes, and good luck!

Jay V 24

Jay V 24

Banned
Awards
You should be able to put up 200+ on BB easilly.

Id say in the 200-220 range

dcf143

Awards
You should be able to put up 200+ on BB easilly.

Id say in the 200-220 range

I think I'm going to shoot for 200. I've been doing all dumbell work, so i can'
t even use flat barbell v. dumbell as a comparison.

We'll see tonight.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can do 85s for flat, and right about 195 on barbell, but I also have joint issues that are more limiting than strength

dcf143

Awards
wound up doing legs last night, doing chest tonight. we'll let everyone know.

bulldogz

bulldogz

Awards
  • Established
I think you're pushin 85 with dumbbells, you can prob push 180+ easy...imo atleast...good luck mang!

Bmac1775

Bmac1775

Awards
I would say 185 should be a good starting point. It will take a sec to get use to it then your off to the races