BF% for the infamous 8-pack

  1. Registered User
    Mindless's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  181 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    175
    Rep Power
    149

    Wink BF% for the infamous 8-pack


    It's time get this sorted out once and for all. THE 8-PACK!

    Does it exist? Or is it just another urban myth?
    Did photographers that do these famous before/after pics just invent it to show off their photoshop skills?

    I have a clear 6-Pack, but it doesn't matter how hard I flex my abdominal muscle group, I can't see an 8-Pack.

    Also I have never seen anybody in real life that had an 8-Pack.

    Around what BF% would you start seeing the 8-Pack (if it exists)?
    How low do you have to go? And is it really worth it?

  2. Registered User
    jherman08's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  199 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,595
    Rep Power
    4620

    It's called genetics...
    They do play a big role in how muscles will look
  3. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,723
    Rep Power
    949536

    Anatomically we all posses one.
    •   
       

  4. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  122 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kiwi in the United States
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,171
    Rep Power
    194004

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindless View Post
    Around what BF% would you start seeing the 8-Pack (if it exists)?
    How low do you have to go? And is it really worth it?
    Genetics will play a role in whether or not you will see an 8-pack. Your bodyfat will also play a role. As well as your midsection muscle development. How low your bodyfat has to be will depend on each individual (i.e. taller people will not have to have as low a body composition as a shorter person, etc.). And if it's something that people want, then that's up to each person as to whether they aim for it.

    ~Rosie
    Team APPNUT
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  5. Registered User
    carpee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    IL
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,590
    Rep Power
    83740

    go to bodyspace and look up nickedge, his ab workouts may help you find your 8 pack.
  6. Registered User
    Mindless's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  181 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    175
    Rep Power
    149

    Thx for all the input.

    I really hoped someone would say, it's all bogus and that it doesn't exist.

    No time to be lazy even though the holiday season approaches.

    Though, I might be able to blame it on genetics...
  7. Registered User
    Mindless's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  181 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    175
    Rep Power
    149

    Quote Originally Posted by carpee View Post
    go to bodyspace and look up nickedge, his ab workouts may help you find your 8 pack.
    He doesn't have an 8 pack either. Or am i counting that wrong...?
  8. Registered User
    carpee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    IL
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,590
    Rep Power
    83740

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindless View Post
    He doesn't have an 8 pack either. Or am i counting that wrong...?
    maybe.
    the bottom to could be deceiving because they are long and go down and wrap around, they arent gonna be as defined as the upper middle groups.

    its also just genetics man. I can get to a six pack but probably will never see an 8 either, whereas ryan reynolds doesnt gain any fat and look
  9. Registered User
    MPFit's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  178 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    428
    Rep Power
    325

    Yea Ryan Reynolds has a ****ing shredded stomach..
    You can google his workout he actually discusses it and his diet..
    Don't forget however that its his JOB to look like that: He dedicated 6 days a week WITHOUT CARDIO (beleive it or not) at 2-3 hours a day..
    He said he did 500-1000 situps preworkout every day as well.. AND trained his lower abs with leg ups..
    I've literally been trying to find the 8 pack as well without luck for the past few months..
    Good luck man!
  10. Registered User
    kimmy gibler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    123
    Rep Power
    129

    I would say genetics are big on this one and bf%. I have a pretty damn good midsection(IMO) and I can't remember that last time I did any direct stomach work.
  11. Registered User
    carpee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    IL
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,590
    Rep Power
    83740

    Quote Originally Posted by kimmy gibler View Post
    I would say genetics are big on this one and bf%. I have a pretty damn good midsection(IMO) and I can't remember that last time I did any direct stomach work.
    i agree....i rarely do ab work
  12. Registered User
    xink's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NYC - Manhattan
    Posts
    269
    Rep Power
    199

    Quote Originally Posted by kimmy gibler View Post
    I would say genetics are big on this one and bf%. I have a pretty damn good midsection(IMO) and I can't remember that last time I did any direct stomach work.
    Your name and avatar is f*cking hilarious.... haha
  13. Registered User
    BoyFromAus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    705
    Rep Power
    425

    OP, can't u feel ur 8 pack? I've still got fairly high bodyfat 11 - 12%, so I can only really see 4. But I can feel my 8 pack mildly. but the extra 2 are a lot smaller than the others.
  14. Registered User
    Matt6969's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Bigfork, Montana
    Posts
    403
    Rep Power
    280

    i have an 8 pack and i know 2 other people that have them also. alot of it is genetics but you also have to have a very low body fat%.
  15. Registered User
    jherman08's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  199 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,595
    Rep Power
    4620

    You probably have to look like this guy too...
    and have the same haircut
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  16. Registered User
    waynaferd's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ayuh, in Maine!
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,172
    Rep Power
    8400

    ^^^ LOL!! ^^^
    True story:

    I give a f**K!!
  17. Registered User
    Rustang's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    93

    hahaha nice ....
  18. Registered User
    Mindless's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  181 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    175
    Rep Power
    149

    Quote Originally Posted by jherman08 View Post
    You probably have to look like this guy too...
    and have the same haircut
    i'll try to jump in front of a bus then...
  19. Registered User
    Matt6969's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Bigfork, Montana
    Posts
    403
    Rep Power
    280

    that is one ugly mother ****er. lol
  20. Registered User
    Jaidmaster's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  155 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Age
    43
    Posts
    112
    Rep Power
    137

    According to some recent reading on this, most people train upper abs more than lower. If lower abs are underdeveloped, even at a low bf, they aren't going to be real apparent. Hanging leg lifts (pullup bar, or dip bar), with a nice pelvic tilt at the top, no swinging.

    Please note that mine are covered at the moment, but I was just reading about this recently (always like to point out if it's based on actual experience or not).
  21. Registered User
    Mindless's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  181 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    175
    Rep Power
    149

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaidmaster View Post
    According to some recent reading on this, most people train upper abs more than lower. If lower abs are underdeveloped, even at a low bf, they aren't going to be real apparent. Hanging leg lifts (pullup bar, or dip bar), with a nice pelvic tilt at the top, no swinging.

    Please note that mine are covered at the moment, but I was just reading about this recently (always like to point out if it's based on actual experience or not).
    That might be the problem. Since I don't like the excercises you stated above, I didn't do them. This week I started doing some of these lower abs excercise and now I remember why I hate them...
  22. Registered User
    Flaw's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,278
    Rep Power
    1400

    It exists for everyone at the right body fat level without any ab development. Unless your old and your muscle has atrophied a lot. The level at which it shows can vary per person. The shape of the muscles depends on genetics. That is how big or long the muscles are. You can do all the ab work you want every day, it will never get you a 6 or 8 pack. It's all about getting that body fat down.
    ôLord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

    WHAT has science offered?
  23. Registered User
    Mindless's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  181 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    175
    Rep Power
    149

    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw View Post
    It exists for everyone at the right body fat level without any ab development. Unless your old and your muscle has atrophied a lot. The level at which it shows can vary per person. The shape of the muscles depends on genetics. That is how big or long the muscles are. You can do all the ab work you want every day, it will never get you a 6 or 8 pack. It's all about getting that body fat down.
    i already have the 6 pack and now i'll go for the 8 pack...so we'll see about that never.
  24. Registered User
    Flaw's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,278
    Rep Power
    1400

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindless View Post
    i already have the 6 pack and now i'll go for the 8 pack...so we'll see about that never.
    Do you know where your body fat level is at?
    ôLord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

    WHAT has science offered?
  25. Registered User
    Mindless's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  181 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    175
    Rep Power
    149

    Wink


    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw View Post
    Do you know where your body fat level is at?
    Due to the unaccurate reading I get from my LAG (Look And Guess) Method, I'd guess something around 8%BF(+/-1.5%). Also due to the lack of time of time I spend on this board posting(,instead of working out), my post count is too low to post a pic, ergo no verification.

    If I assume that my assumptions are correct, I'll have to assume that my BF% should be around 4-5%BF. Am I assuming right?
  26. Registered User
    xink's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NYC - Manhattan
    Posts
    269
    Rep Power
    199

    I'm measured at ~6% and can barely see my two lower abbs... Top four are f*cking easy to get, it's the lower ones that require real effort!
  27. Registered User
    carpee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    IL
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,590
    Rep Power
    83740

    that may just depend on genetics.

    some people can have visible abs even while gaining fat on a bulk....while others put on once out of fat and their abs are gone...

    everyones are going to look different and show up visibly different
  28. Registered User
    Flaw's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,278
    Rep Power
    1400

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindless View Post
    Due to the unaccurate reading I get from my LAG (Look And Guess) Method, I'd guess something around 8%BF(+/-1.5%). Also due to the lack of time of time I spend on this board posting(,instead of working out), my post count is too low to post a pic, ergo no verification.

    If I assume that my assumptions are correct, I'll have to assume that my BF% should be around 4-5%BF. Am I assuming right?
    Doubt it, The look and guess method is only fairly accurate after having seen yourself at different body fat levels many times before. 4-5% is very low. Your getting to competition level there. If you don't see your 8-pack you probably never will. I'd get some calipers and get a friend to measure you.
    ôLord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

    WHAT has science offered?
  29. Registered User
    celc5's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,211
    Rep Power
    140358

    I have no problem getting my lower ab "v" to pop out...

    in college, I had a buddy who pointed me toward straight leg raises on a slant board. The first time I did them correctly, I pretty much fell off the board after 6 or 7 slow reps. I found that I could make my lower abs grow with these, and therefore, when bf gets close to 10%, 8 pack pops out.

    I'm gonna lean toward the side that says its not genetics, you just have to force the bottom 2 to grow. Something like the handful of people that have great posterior delts
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-23-2012, 03:42 PM
  2. Infamous
    By D3vildog in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2009, 02:53 PM
  3. pSarm/Formadrol Twin Pack (Twin Pack)
    By CorpKiller in forum Supplements
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-07-2008, 10:46 PM
  4. the infamous poo thread
    By ropehead in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-22-2008, 10:23 PM
  5. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-22-2007, 04:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in