Deadlift Injury!

  1. Registered User
    Nolanaf67's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    141
    Answers
    0

    Deadlift Injury!


    Was doing some deadlifts today and on my 5th rep @ 275(typically low for me) I got this sharp pain in my lower back that still has not gone away. It feels tight and hurts the most when I bend over or stand up from sitting down. Just want to know if anyone else has ran into this problem?

  2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,134
    Answers
    0


    Yes. It took me a year to regain my strength after it happened.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Registered User
    Nolanaf67's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    141
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Yes. It took me a year to regain my strength after it happened.
    Ugh..not what I wanted to hear...sucks
    •   
       

  4. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,134
    Answers
    0


    I was doing deads and I felt a pop and shift in my lumbar. I still have issues with it on occasion unless I constantly stretch and work on my glute/hip flexibility.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Registered User
    Kristofer68SS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,599
    Answers
    0


    Were you still cold when it happened?

    Thats when i seem to get injuries.

    Im 2 weeks off of squats now because of a nagging ankle pain......Gonna give it a go thursday and see what happens.

    Deads tonight!!!
  6. Registered User
    Nolanaf67's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    141
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68SS View Post
    Were you still cold when it happened?

    Thats when i seem to get injuries.

    Im 2 weeks off of squats now because of a nagging ankle pain......Gonna give it a go thursday and see what happens.

    Deads tonight!!!
    I started off with some lat pulls on the machine(warm up basically for me) and then I jumped into the deads. I am pretty sure that this was more than likely the cause. I just don't know what exactly happened. Lift felt fine at first and my form was correct. I threw on a belt after I felt the pain and tried once more to lift it but that was clearly a HUGE mistake. Just sucks...
  7. Registered User
    Nolanaf67's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    141
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I was doing deads and I felt a pop and shift in my lumbar. I still have issues with it on occasion unless I constantly stretch and work on my glute/hip flexibility.
    See I didn't have any of that it's weird. I suppose I am just going to have to ride it out and see what happens. Deads are obviously off limits for awhile which sucks even more lol.
  8. Registered User
    Generallee's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    44
    Answers
    0


    You shoulda started with goodmornings with the fixed barbells....40,50,60 to start for 40, 30, 20 reps....or till you feel the blood rushing there....they will wake your lower back and quads up really well
  9. Registered User
    MentalTwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,516
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Generallee View Post
    You shoulda started with goodmornings with the fixed barbells....40,50,60 to start for 40, 30, 20 reps....or till you feel the blood rushing there....they will wake your lower back and quads up really well
    You mean lower back and hams? Not sure that i have ever felt it in my quads.
  10. Registered User
    Kristofer68SS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,599
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by MentalTwitch View Post
    You mean lower back and hams? Not sure that i have ever felt it in my quads.
    From my experience, when i get in the zone......

    I burn from the traps down- back, glutes, hams, quads, calves, you name it. It burns.

    lol
  11. Registered User
    Silver3CSRT8's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,607
    Answers
    0


    I tore my L4/L5 disk doing deads. I initially thought it was just back pumps, but the pain wouldn't go away. I saw a Dr. and took muscle relaxers and anti inflamitories prior to the MRI showing the torn disk. I hope for your sake it is not that because it has been 6+ months with multiple spinal injections and I still have some pain.
  12. Registered User
    Generallee's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    44
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by MentalTwitch View Post
    You mean lower back and hams? Not sure that i have ever felt it in my quads.
    Type-O thanks for pointing that out, doesn't change the fact that Good-mornings are an essential warm-up for Deads
  13. Registered User
    jcp2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    37
    Posts
    862
    Answers
    0


    most people are not very well conditioned when it comes to the poserior. Everyone does 15 sets of chest, and some hamsring curls, and most don't recruit their posterior when they squat. this leads to injuries. At least this is my thought, powerlifters don't seem to get hurt very often deadlifting but i am constantly reading about someone who pulls 300 lbs f'ing themselves up.
  14. Registered User
    GeekPoop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,268
    Answers
    0


    this prolly doesnt help anyone in this thread, but when I DL I keep reps low 6 at max. I find that I start fatiguing for more reps and my form suffers.

    but to trying to help, Ive had this happen to me one time as well. I had good form and wasnt going heavy as you said either. It all of a sudden this immense sharp pain and i just dropped the weight.

    Anyways I took 2-3 weeks of squatting and DLing and stretched a lot, worked for myself.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  15. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,134
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    most people are not very well conditioned when it comes to the poserior. Everyone does 15 sets of chest, and some hamsring curls, and most don't recruit their posterior when they squat. this leads to injuries. At least this is my thought, powerlifters don't seem to get hurt very often deadlifting but i am constantly reading about someone who pulls 300 lbs f'ing themselves up.
    This.

    I am a huge proponent of doing lots of hamstring work. I alternate my weeks and do SLDLs one week and traditional DL the next. I also do tons of stretching, especially for the glute/ham tie-in, and do core 3x/wk. There are far too many people that only do leg curls and neglect lunges (all variations), SLDL, GMs, Glute/Ham Raises, and don't do any significant stretching and/or pre-hab.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  16. Registered User
    Nolanaf67's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    141
    Answers
    0


    Alright quick update on my injury. It is feeling much better than it did yesterday so I am hopeful that it isn't a serious injury. Stiffness is still there but not as bad. Still day to day. I took today off from the gym to heal up as much as possible before I jump back in.
  17. Registered User
    Link24's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    746
    Answers
    0


    Sounds like a herniated or bulging disc to me. . . Go see a doc I was in the same position as you and I continued lifting and it got worse. Avoid anyhing bent over, over head exercises, stretch and ice frequently, pop some naproxen. Do not let it get worse man it can turn into a horrible injury. Goodluck!
  18. Registered User
    Nolanaf67's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    141
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Link24 View Post
    Sounds like a herniated or bulging disc to me. . . Go see a doc I was in the same position as you and I continued lifting and it got worse. Avoid anyhing bent over, over head exercises, stretch and ice frequently, pop some naproxen. Do not let it get worse man it can turn into a horrible injury. Goodluck!
    Copy that. Thanks
  19. Registered User
    urbanski's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,195
    Answers
    0


    sounds like a muscle strain to me
  20. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,134
    Answers
    0


    If it's feeling better, it's just a minor strain.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  21. Registered User
    Nolanaf67's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    141
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    If it's feeling better, it's just a minor strain.
    I just notice it more when I am sitting down then stand up. More painful to straighten my body out after sitting. But like I said it is much better than yesterday. I am hopeful that it is only just a strain. I will find out soon enough though lol.
  22. Banned
    country1911's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    143
    Answers
    0


    Give it a week, if it is not gone, go see a doc.
  23. Registered User
    rush808's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    203
    Answers
    0


    When I had ran into a back injury, it took me 2 and a half months. it sucked i remember sitting at lunch with coworkers laughed at a joke then couldn't even get up off my seat for a good 5 mins. Doc said it was a small muscle somewhere in my mid center of my back which is easy to pull, and gave me some flexrill (sp?).
  24. Registered User
    Nolanaf67's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    141
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by rush808 View Post
    When I had ran into a back injury, it took me 2 and a half months. it sucked i remember sitting at lunch with coworkers laughed at a joke then couldn't even get up off my seat for a good 5 mins. Doc said it was a small muscle somewhere in my mid center of my back which is easy to pull, and gave me some flexrill (sp?).
    Interesting. Yea it is very centered around my lower back in the middle.
  25. Registered User
    Chucke's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Age
    47
    Posts
    125
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Link24 View Post
    Sounds like a herniated or bulging disc to me. . . Go see a doc I was in the same position as you and I continued lifting and it got worse. Avoid anyhing bent over, over head exercises, stretch and ice frequently, pop some naproxen. Do not let it get worse man it can turn into a horrible injury. Goodluck!
    Herniated or bulging disks don't feel better the day after the injury. The day of the injury you may not know you've done something bad but the next day you definitely will. It sounds more like simple muscle stress. With a couple of weeks or rest you'll probably be 90% or better. But you will have to rest.
  26. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,355
    Answers
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by rush808 View Post
    When I had ran into a back injury, it took me 2 and a half months. it sucked i remember sitting at lunch with coworkers laughed at a joke then couldn't even get up off my seat for a good 5 mins. Doc said it was a small muscle somewhere in my mid center of my back which is easy to pull, and gave me some flexrill (sp?).
    I believe it is the rhomboid. I tore my right side rhomboid years ago. I started going to a chiro this past summer due to a break in my toe which changed my walk. In doing the xrays etc... found an old break in my back as well.
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  27. Registered User
    Link24's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    746
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Nolanaf67 View Post
    I just notice it more when I am sitting down then stand up. More painful to straighten my body out after sitting. But like I said it is much better than yesterday. I am hopeful that it is only just a strain. I will find out soon enough though lol.
    Sounds just like my symptoms, and I have a L5-S1 herniated disc that has been haunting me for almost two years on and off now. I ignored all the symptoms in the begining because I thought it was a strain and it only got worse. I really think you should get it checked out man, and can get very painful. Does your lower back and glutes get really tight? If so that leads me to believe the sciatic nerve is fired up. Look up the Mckenzy stretches they will really help you relieve the stickness in your back.
  28. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    DAdams91982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    7,397
    Answers
    0


    I just injured myself the EXACT same way with regards to the symptoms. I got some flexeril, and vicoden from the doc. Tore a ligament in my lower back. Doc said 7-10 days to heal... wait a couple weeks before resuming full fledged. its been about 4 days now and the pain all but gone at the moment and things are looking up. I will resume at least cardio tomorrow.
    The Historic PES Legend
  29. Registered User
    rush808's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    203
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    I believe it is the rhomboid. I tore my right side rhomboid years ago. I started going to a chiro this past summer due to a break in my toe which changed my walk. In doing the xrays etc... found an old break in my back as well.
    yeah believe it was a strained rhomboid the smaller lower portion, hasn't bothered me since.

    OP, did u figure out what it was 4 u?
  30. yea!!!!!
    brk_nemesis's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,403
    Answers
    0


    ..could be a pinched nerve,..... I have felt similar pain plenty of times doing Deads in the past, which puts me on the ground and I am fine after the w/o, and the next day. I have contributed it to horrible form back in the HS days using a hex bar for deads. There is no popping, or extreme pain, but more a sharp quick pain that surprises the hell out of you,... similar to having cramped hamstring and having to stretch the leg out immediately. So I would think it is a pinched nerve, or a strain as others have stated.
  31. Registered User
    Nolanaf67's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    141
    Answers
    0


    Quick update. It was feeling better so I went for a run the other day and had a really good tri workout. It is really stiff and the pain moved from a centered area to my right side. Hurts to bend over and what not. Going to make an appointment with doc ASAP.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. WR raw deadlift!
    By jlinteris in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-17-2011, 08:11 PM
  2. 420 deadlift!!!!
    By breedthis in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 03-23-2009, 02:00 PM
  3. eh Deadlift help please
    By Will Wagner in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-31-2009, 02:02 AM
  4. How much do you deadlift?
    By WhatsaRoid? in forum General Chat
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-18-2008, 01:37 PM
  5. Deadlift help
    By RedwolfWV in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 05-10-2007, 01:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in