Deadlift Injury!

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  201 lbs.
    Answers

Deadlift Injury!

Was doing some deadlifts today and on my 5th rep @ 275(typically low for me) I got this sharp pain in my lower back that still has not gone away. It feels tight and hurts the most when I bend over or stand up from sitting down. Just want to know if anyone else has ran into this problem?

2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Yes. It took me a year to regain my strength after it happened.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  201 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Yes. It took me a year to regain my strength after it happened.
    Ugh..not what I wanted to hear...sucks
    •   

4. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

I was doing deads and I felt a pop and shift in my lumbar. I still have issues with it on occasion unless I constantly stretch and work on my glute/hip flexibility.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Were you still cold when it happened?

Thats when i seem to get injuries.

Im 2 weeks off of squats now because of a nagging ankle pain......Gonna give it a go thursday and see what happens.

Deads tonight!!!
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  201 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68SS View Post
    Were you still cold when it happened?

Thats when i seem to get injuries.

Im 2 weeks off of squats now because of a nagging ankle pain......Gonna give it a go thursday and see what happens.

Deads tonight!!!
    I started off with some lat pulls on the machine(warm up basically for me) and then I jumped into the deads. I am pretty sure that this was more than likely the cause. I just don't know what exactly happened. Lift felt fine at first and my form was correct. I threw on a belt after I felt the pain and tried once more to lift it but that was clearly a HUGE mistake. Just sucks...
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  201 lbs.
    Answers

I was doing deads and I felt a pop and shift in my lumbar. I still have issues with it on occasion unless I constantly stretch and work on my glute/hip flexibility.
    See I didn't have any of that it's weird. I suppose I am just going to have to ride it out and see what happens. Deads are obviously off limits for awhile which sucks even more lol.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Answers

You shoulda started with goodmornings with the fixed barbells....40,50,60 to start for 40, 30, 20 reps....or till you feel the blood rushing there....they will wake your lower back and quads up really well
  9. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Generallee View Post
    You shoulda started with goodmornings with the fixed barbells....40,50,60 to start for 40, 30, 20 reps....or till you feel the blood rushing there....they will wake your lower back and quads up really well
    You mean lower back and hams? Not sure that i have ever felt it in my quads.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MentalTwitch View Post
    From my experience, when i get in the zone......

I burn from the traps down- back, glutes, hams, quads, calves, you name it. It burns.

lol
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Answers

I tore my L4/L5 disk doing deads. I initially thought it was just back pumps, but the pain wouldn't go away. I saw a Dr. and took muscle relaxers and anti inflamitories prior to the MRI showing the torn disk. I hope for your sake it is not that because it has been 6+ months with multiple spinal injections and I still have some pain.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MentalTwitch View Post
    Type-O thanks for pointing that out, doesn't change the fact that Good-mornings are an essential warm-up for Deads
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Answers

most people are not very well conditioned when it comes to the poserior. Everyone does 15 sets of chest, and some hamsring curls, and most don't recruit their posterior when they squat. this leads to injuries. At least this is my thought, powerlifters don't seem to get hurt very often deadlifting but i am constantly reading about someone who pulls 300 lbs f'ing themselves up.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Answers

this prolly doesnt help anyone in this thread, but when I DL I keep reps low 6 at max. I find that I start fatiguing for more reps and my form suffers.

but to trying to help, Ive had this happen to me one time as well. I had good form and wasnt going heavy as you said either. It all of a sudden this immense sharp pain and i just dropped the weight.

Anyways I took 2-3 weeks of squatting and DLing and stretched a lot, worked for myself.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  15. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    most people are not very well conditioned when it comes to the poserior. Everyone does 15 sets of chest, and some hamsring curls, and most don't recruit their posterior when they squat. this leads to injuries. At least this is my thought, powerlifters don't seem to get hurt very often deadlifting but i am constantly reading about someone who pulls 300 lbs f'ing themselves up.
    This.

I am a huge proponent of doing lots of hamstring work. I alternate my weeks and do SLDLs one week and traditional DL the next. I also do tons of stretching, especially for the glute/ham tie-in, and do core 3x/wk. There are far too many people that only do leg curls and neglect lunges (all variations), SLDL, GMs, Glute/Ham Raises, and don't do any significant stretching and/or pre-hab.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  201 lbs.
    Answers

Alright quick update on my injury. It is feeling much better than it did yesterday so I am hopeful that it isn't a serious injury. Stiffness is still there but not as bad. Still day to day. I took today off from the gym to heal up as much as possible before I jump back in.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  232 lbs.
    Answers

Sounds like a herniated or bulging disc to me. . . Go see a doc I was in the same position as you and I continued lifting and it got worse. Avoid anyhing bent over, over head exercises, stretch and ice frequently, pop some naproxen. Do not let it get worse man it can turn into a horrible injury. Goodluck!
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  201 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Link24 View Post
    Sounds like a herniated or bulging disc to me. . . Go see a doc I was in the same position as you and I continued lifting and it got worse. Avoid anyhing bent over, over head exercises, stretch and ice frequently, pop some naproxen. Do not let it get worse man it can turn into a horrible injury. Goodluck!
    Copy that. Thanks
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.
    Answers

sounds like a muscle strain to me
  20. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

If it's feeling better, it's just a minor strain.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  201 lbs.
    Answers

If it's feeling better, it's just a minor strain.
    I just notice it more when I am sitting down then stand up. More painful to straighten my body out after sitting. But like I said it is much better than yesterday. I am hopeful that it is only just a strain. I will find out soon enough though lol.
  22. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Give it a week, if it is not gone, go see a doc.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  150 lbs.
    Answers

When I had ran into a back injury, it took me 2 and a half months. it sucked i remember sitting at lunch with coworkers laughed at a joke then couldn't even get up off my seat for a good 5 mins. Doc said it was a small muscle somewhere in my mid center of my back which is easy to pull, and gave me some flexrill (sp?).
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  201 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rush808 View Post
    When I had ran into a back injury, it took me 2 and a half months. it sucked i remember sitting at lunch with coworkers laughed at a joke then couldn't even get up off my seat for a good 5 mins. Doc said it was a small muscle somewhere in my mid center of my back which is easy to pull, and gave me some flexrill (sp?).
    Interesting. Yea it is very centered around my lower back in the middle.
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Link24 View Post
    Herniated or bulging disks don't feel better the day after the injury. The day of the injury you may not know you've done something bad but the next day you definitely will. It sounds more like simple muscle stress. With a couple of weeks or rest you'll probably be 90% or better. But you will have to rest.
  26. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rush808 View Post
    I believe it is the rhomboid. I tore my right side rhomboid years ago. I started going to a chiro this past summer due to a break in my toe which changed my walk. In doing the xrays etc... found an old break in my back as well.
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  232 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Nolanaf67 View Post
    I just notice it more when I am sitting down then stand up. More painful to straighten my body out after sitting. But like I said it is much better than yesterday. I am hopeful that it is only just a strain. I will find out soon enough though lol.
    Sounds just like my symptoms, and I have a L5-S1 herniated disc that has been haunting me for almost two years on and off now. I ignored all the symptoms in the begining because I thought it was a strain and it only got worse. I really think you should get it checked out man, and can get very painful. Does your lower back and glutes get really tight? If so that leads me to believe the sciatic nerve is fired up. Look up the Mckenzy stretches they will really help you relieve the stickness in your back.
  28. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

I just injured myself the EXACT same way with regards to the symptoms. I got some flexeril, and vicoden from the doc. Tore a ligament in my lower back. Doc said 7-10 days to heal... wait a couple weeks before resuming full fledged. its been about 4 days now and the pain all but gone at the moment and things are looking up. I will resume at least cardio tomorrow.
    The Historic PES Legend
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  150 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    I believe it is the rhomboid. I tore my right side rhomboid years ago. I started going to a chiro this past summer due to a break in my toe which changed my walk. In doing the xrays etc... found an old break in my back as well.
    yeah believe it was a strained rhomboid the smaller lower portion, hasn't bothered me since.

OP, did u figure out what it was 4 u?
  30. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.
    Answers

..could be a pinched nerve,..... I have felt similar pain plenty of times doing Deads in the past, which puts me on the ground and I am fine after the w/o, and the next day. I have contributed it to horrible form back in the HS days using a hex bar for deads. There is no popping, or extreme pain, but more a sharp quick pain that surprises the hell out of you,... similar to having cramped hamstring and having to stretch the leg out immediately. So I would think it is a pinched nerve, or a strain as others have stated.
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  201 lbs.
    Answers

Quick update. It was feeling better so I went for a run the other day and had a really good tri workout. It is really stiff and the pain moved from a centered area to my right side. Hurts to bend over and what not. Going to make an appointment with doc ASAP.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. WR raw deadlift!
    By jlinteris in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-17-2011, 08:11 PM
  2. 420 deadlift!!!!
    By breedthis in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 03-23-2009, 02:00 PM
  3. eh Deadlift help please
    By Will Wagner in forum Powerlifting/Strongman