BICEPS BRACHII?

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
I want to get the outside part of my muscle the part that i think is called the biceps brachii (i may be mistaken) bigger and more showwy thru my shirts what do u guys recommend for building up that sucker? (when built it looks like an extra hump on the outside of ut arm in between bicep and tricep [please advise if i got the name wrong]) also i really want to get more pronounced traps and im already doing barbell shrugs anything u guys would recommend for that would also be very helpful

country1911

country1911

Banned
Awards
Want traps? Try power cleans for a few weeks.

Shrugs have to be HEAVY to really make a difference in trap size.

Also, try mixing up your grip on curls, a closer grip will work a different part of the biceps as will a wider grip. Or you could do DB curls and rotate it at the top so that your thumb is almost pointing away from you. This produces and incredible contraction, for me at least, and rotation is great for your biceps. I believe I read somewhere that the biceps has 2 functions: raise the forearm and rotate the forearm. So if you are never doing excersizes with rotation you are only fighting half the battle.

country1911

country1911

Banned
Awards
I am at work, so can't youtube it. Basically performed like a regular clean except you don't bend your knees the second time.

stronglifts(dot)com/the-ultimate-beginners-guide-to-power-cleans/

Just replace the (dot) with a . and post in your browser.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hammer curls do wonders for that too.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
Nothing is going to show through any shirt at 6'1'' 180. You need to eat more. Just keep working out and doing what your supposed to be doing and arms will grow. Add 10lbs of muscle on your whole body and your arms will grow ~1in. So if you want to make the arms grow you need to squat.

Also, I would do really heavy BB Curls. With the Olympic Bar, do something like 8x8 4 with wide grip and 4 with medium/narrow.

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
well i may be 6ft 1 and only 180 but my arms are 15.5 in wide... and modestly i would say that my regular bicep has a nice peak to it... i just wanna kno u said that squats would affect my arm width? i thought that was a leg and ass workout?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well i may be 6ft 1 and only 180 but my arms are 15.5 in wide... and modestly i would say that my regular bicep has a nice peak to it... i just wanna kno u said that squats would affect my arm width? i thought that was a leg and ass workout?
Show me a dude with a big squat and I guarantee they'll have big arms.

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
but how? im not doubting u at all im just asking for the reason behind it

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
also im only 17 and my metabolism is lightning fast i need to get older so its starts slowing down

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
but how? im not doubting u at all im just asking for the reason behind it
Your age will actually help you to grow since you're test levels are very, very high. Squats are the king of all exercises. There's nothing glorious about them and having a big squat takes lots of dedication and sweat. As far as actual scientific reasoning, there really is nothing that can be directly applied to it, but it's just how it is.

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
I want to get the outside part of my muscle the part that i think is called the biceps brachii (i may be mistaken) bigger and more showwy thru my shirts what do u guys recommend for building up that sucker? (when built it looks like an extra hump on the outside of ut arm in between bicep and tricep [please advise if i got the name wrong]) also i really want to get more pronounced traps and im already doing barbell shrugs anything u guys would recommend for that would also be very helpful
I think your talking about the brachialas...... try two handed dumbell hammer preacher curls

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Show me a dude with a big squat and I guarantee they'll have big arms.
To have a big squat you need a lot of mechanical leverage, therefore you pretty much have to be packing some serious mass if you're squatting really big.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Also, heavy barbell curls and hammer curls will hit the area you're looking for. I've gotten a lot of response out of my arms by really concentrating on technique. For example, if I'm working with DBs, I stay fairly strict and include a lot of wrist rotation (ex. With incline curls, I'll start with my palms facing each other and as I curl the weight up in a wide arc, I'll rotate my wrist so that my pinky finger is higher than my thumb). If I'm using a barbell for curls, I go really heavy and allow myself to cheat a little.

Also do a lot of flexing between sets and after you're completely finished and you'll have the outside of your biceps poking out in no time!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There is no way to specifically hit any muscle on the anterior humerus. The best thing to do is to always change your workouts and to learn how to really get a hard contraction during every rep.

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
You got Biceps Brachii which has a long and short head and a brachialis which lies underneath and is visible from the side. In a lot of Arnolds old pics that is the big bulge on the outside of his arm, he had an amazing brachialis.

If that is the muscle you mean then Hammer Curls

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
yea brachiallis... and im hittin the hammers already i just wanted to kno abt any other one

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
i have 30in legs... and only 16.5 in arms..... i dont belive in squats builting huge muscle.

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
you probably dont have the genetics for those crazy pointy lookin outside of arm biceps.

i dont either

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
Funny thing is i stopped doing hammers and now i see them more... arm width has increased by half an inch in half a month which idk if thats good but im happy with it.. i dropped all my other workouts and im doing the 5x5 routine now and eating alot more

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
OK, was going to create a similar thread, but I saw this and thought I'd add to it. I've read conflicting things on wide grip and narrow grip barbell curls for targeting the long/outer head. I read a report saying wide grip, and I've been doing that. Then today I read one that says narrow, so I look up some info on the net, and I still get conflicting stories. I think I may just go back to shoulder-width and be done with the confusion unless someone here can tell me dead-certain which one it is. Damned BB mags.

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
people need to quite reading magazines and stick to basics

the grip that allows you to use the most weight and feels the best FOR YOU is what YOU should use

just ridiculous these guys doing outrageous wide or narrow curls

you have to find what works for you, if your biceps are not 19 inches and you are trying some special exercise to bring out your long head you are cheating yourself

i work on long head by doing hammers first or pinwheels first. you wont see me doing some fancy junk.

everything in th egym that you do needs to be what is comfortable for you. Jay Cutler, Kevin Levrone, Jeff Willet, or your training partner cannot tell you how your body works and responds. People who take the advice of others and refuse to listen to their bodies will forever be stuck in this cycle of no gains and fancy pancy curls on a swiss ball

rocketman123

rocketman123

Awards
people need to quite reading magazines and stick to basics

the grip that allows you to use the most weight and feels the best FOR YOU is what YOU should use

just ridiculous these guys doing outrageous wide or narrow curls

you have to find what works for you, if your biceps are not 19 inches and you are trying some special exercise to bring out your long head you are cheating yourself

i work on long head by doing hammers first or pinwheels first. you wont see me doing some fancy junk.

everything in th egym that you do needs to be what is comfortable for you. Jay Cutler, Kevin Levrone, Jeff Willet, or your training partner cannot tell you how your body works and responds. People who take the advice of others and refuse to listen to their bodies will forever be stuck in this cycle of no gains and fancy pancy curls on a swiss ball
yeah, like fritzer said, at this point in your bodybuilding career, you should be doing basic compound lifts like heavy straight bar curl, dumbell curls, etc. dont worry about weird versions of lifts. One thing i am doing that ive seen a lot of improvement with is doing reverse grip barbell curls with a thumbless grip. Do them first in the workout since your grip is the strongest. This tears up the brachioradialis on the forearm as well as the brachialis. In my opinion, Brachialis size comes with overall arm size. I havnt ever seen a dude with huge brachioradialis's and tiny arms. So i think your best bet is to stick with basic compound movements and just build more arm size. Dont worry too much about specific parts, they will come with time

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Whoa, whoa, whoa, calm down chief. First off, this isnt just some hobby that I am toying around with. I've been at this a long time and see nothing wrong with trying to change things up to bring out lagging parts. It's called bodybuilding. I enjoy reading the mags. I like the info I find on this board better. About the mags, I am in Iraq and bb mags are a way we kill time. We talk smack about most of the stuff printed, but still pick up some ok info from time to time. We hit the gym nearly every day and have done so for 9 months now. Change is pretty much a necessity. I do hammers and love the improvement I've seen since adding them regularly a while back. I just feel I need some long head definition to make my arm pop when not flexed. I dont understand your problem with that.

rocketman123

rocketman123

Awards
oh s*it sorry man i didnt mean to come off like i was flaming you or anything remotely close to that. I just put down what i have found works for me in the relatively short amount of time i have been lifting. didnt mean to offend you. I am sure you know a lot more about bodybuilding than i do so sorry about that

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
wasnt really geared towards you rocket. no worries

Pitbull14218

Pitbull14218

Awards
Yeah I too deffinitly want to get the lower part of my bicep to stickout more! Same with my lower tricep, I feel like with a shirt on my arms don't look too big but shirt off you can tell I workout. I'm gonna start doing more hammer curls, reverse grip curls. Hopefully it will help

themusclestud

Awards
Grips may make a difference, but I'll explain what truthfully makes the difference. Typically when you do a close grip you push/hold the weight with the thumb/index finger side of your hand, which has an effect throughout that side of your forearm and bicep being used in the excise. Doing wide grip typically has you push/hold the weight on the pinky finger side of your hand and works out the inside forearm and bicep. Using the priority principle doing something closegrip to warm up the outerpart of your arm, and then do your usual heavy exercise (barbell or dumb bell for most) and then your extras. Your tricep on the outside is most likely going to need some extra if you want to bring that area out, I like using cables and bands with inviduals I train to help isolate that part of the tricep. A really good excercise for that would be to stand straight out from a high cable with your side facing it. Grab the cable with the side facing away and stand arms length away, now pull the weight across your body (the cable should be going across somewhere around your neck/shoulder) lock your arm comfortablly straight out from your shoulder (parallel or close to parallel to the floor), and flex your tricep pull the handle down and across at the same time, will hit the side of your arm right next to the brachii a part where many individuals have never been sore.

And for traps, I suggest never taking advice from people with naturally big traps first off. And if you have small traps you need to make sure you work out the rear part as much as the top, and shrugs do not hit the whole thing. I suggest looking up as many trap excercises as possible, and making sure you hit your traps different ways. Heavy smith machine shrugs and ultra light bent over trap pinches are a good staple to start every other week, dumbbell shrugs and a high/wide grip on a row machine to pinch the rear traps are a good alternate.

Hopes this helps for you and a lot of the others seriously inquiring for the same subjects.

HardCore1

HardCore1

Awards
Your age will actually help you to grow since you're test levels are very, very high. Squats are the king of all exercises. There's nothing glorious about them and having a big squat takes lots of dedication and sweat. As far as actual scientific reasoning, there really is nothing that can be directly applied to it, but it's just how it is.
Just from what i have read and noticed in the gym, there is a reason you get bigger and stronger from doing heavy squats. Since heavy spuats and dead lifts trigger the max release of hormones i.e. test and gh, your entire body has no choice but to grow. From personal exp. doing curls of any sort after deads or squuats will always spur more growth than doing them before or on different days.

Reactions: oli
HardCore1

HardCore1

Awards
For traps and general delt development, try single arm dumbbell snatch. Your medial delts and traps will grow very fast and your strength and explosive power will increase greatly too.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you want bigger biceps, do reverse grip pull ups

thestein1016

thestein1016

Awards
  • Established
4x10 cheat curls
4x10 incline
4x12 hammer (if you do one arm at a time choose weight where you will fail @6)
4x12 iso curls
3x20 rope curls (speed)

Intensity - High enough you want to die at the end of set 4

jherman08

jherman08

Awards
  • Established
Biggest improvement I've made to my bicep peak has been... Lower bodyfat %