Chest Help/Issue

Will Wagner

Awards
Well the problem that I am having is i have no upper/inner chest mass or muscle. Most of muscle is on the outer which doesnt look to good at all. I heard Incline is good for upper. But how many reps and whats good for inner? Thanks

gabe9615

gabe9615

Awards
I have the same issue. hopefully someone can help us out.

Andy G

Andy G

Awards
Inner pecs can be worked over by a pec deck. Especially utilizing only one arm at a time. This allows the user to really get a good reach past the sternum plane/angle. Use flye's as well, yes this is stretching, but with a good contraction at the meeting point when the weights are above you it can really work. Also, narrow grip bench. Word.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
same problem incline flyes help some im trying to do

2 x 8 incline DB bench
3 x 15 cable raises

but i do PL so thats about all i can fit in.

Will Wagner

Awards
Inner pecs can be worked over by a pec deck. Especially utilizing only one arm at a time. This allows the user to really get a good reach past the sternum plane/angle. Use flye's as well, yes this is stretching, but with a good contraction at the meeting point when the weights are above you it can really work. Also, narrow grip bench. Word.
Ok thanks alot. Ok so the peck deck, and for the flys do they just need to be on the machine or laying down with dbs?

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I think going really slow on the negatives of incline DB presses have helped me. Also, doing bench presses to the neck (be safe) puts more stress on the upper chest. Well, it does for me anyway. Do a lot of flexing between sets and after your workout (followed by stretching) and feel those areas contract and get pumped up. Concentrate on the "feel" of the exercise, use full ROM and contract at the top of the movement for DB exercises.

Look into doing extreme stretches as well. My chest looks a little fuller since I've been doing these. I usually wait until the rep of the last set and just hold the stretch for a little bit and really feel it stretch. Avoid anything that causes sharp pains though. Do a lot of stretching after your workouts too. Stretch to the extremes (as extreme as you can without hurting yourself) and hold it for at least 30 seconds.

Great success!

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
IMHO, chest more than any other muscle group requires you hit the muscle from all angles. I do flat bench, incline bench, decline bench, flies, close grip. Then triceps which work the chest secondarily.

phL8Tme

phL8Tme

Awards
Cable flies-at every angle. About once every two weeks I'll also do 2 sets of DB flys at every position on an incline bench. Use a weight at each position you can only eek out around 8 reps. Your gonna be a little sore the next day.

Ironloo

get heavy dumbells hold them together do flat incline or decline, heavy incline presses squeeze at top, close grip pushups hands 10 inches apart do a minimum of 300 reps after your chest workout

phL8Tme

phL8Tme

Awards
Holy crap Ironloo! 300? Is that with or without the hottest chick in the gym on your back? lol

captgarrett

Awards
The top is easy, just inclines. Fly's and benches, just about anything at that angle will do it.

The inner is a bit more tricky. There's a few, but one I've been doing lately is on the cable machine. I'll describe best I can. It's on a cable machine with the ring thingy at the top, with the single hand handle. Now I angle away from the direction of the ring thingy. Sort of a 45 degree angle with my body away from it. I go heavy, but not so heavy that I can't balance and control the weight. You do a slow controlled punching motion keeping your elbows at a 45 degree angle at all times. I over extend the punch with my free hand actually on that peck.

For inner peck you want to over extend it's plane contracting and essentially flexing the muscle. I know it's probably not the best description, but if you understand it, it's a beast chest exercise for the middle.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow, not one person has recommended dips for inner chest. IMO, dips are an essential and fundamental upper-body lift.

ScottD

ScottD

Awards
grab hold of a dumbell with both hands then when u have the dumbell up just hold it up using the very bottom of ur palms pressed together, this makes u flex inward otherwise the dumbell will fall on u, start off light until u get used of it and do a few sets of ten flat incline and decline, we call this preacher presses and it really burns up the inner chest

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
Wow, not one person has recommended dips for inner chest. IMO, dips are an essential and fundamental upper-body lift.
as always damn good advice rodja

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
I would say use light weight at first so that you can build your base muscle. Don't worry about people looking at you funny in the gym. You need base muscle before you can build off of it. Do the recommended sets but with not much weight until you are comfortable then move up.

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
i think cable flys could help. being smart and really squeezing using your chest

but overall, building a bigger chest. it sounds dumb, but it is true (unless you are already big chested) Sometimes different areas seem to come in a little later.

Also, benching with arms closer. I did 2 months of a foot and a half apart with great results

rocketman123

rocketman123

Awards
The best compound lift for upper chest is the reverse grip regular width bench press. There was a study that showed that incline bench press (at 30 degrees) only engages the upper chest 10% more than the mid/lower chest, whereas the reverse grip bench done at regular width engages the upper chest 40% more than the lower chest. This is done on a flat bench. and make sure your hands are no wider than 1.5 times your shoulder width as this has been shown to greatly increase stress on the shoulder joints and rotator cuffs. and believe me, I have experience with messed up shoulders haha. Way too heavy bench in high school. also, dont drop your elbows lower than your body because below that it is all shoulders. I have been doing this at the start of my chest workout for 3 months since i read the study and even in 3 months i have seen a huge improvement. These are also AWESOME for triceps if dont at shoulder width. Oh yeah, make sure you have a spot cuz its a beeotch getting the bar off the rack with this grip

Heres a good chest workout:

Warm up your rotator cuffs and do some dynamic stretching.
Reverse Grip Bench Press: 4 sets: 12, 10, 10, 8
Incline dumbell press: 4 sets: 12, 10, 10, 8
incline dumbell flyes: 4 sets: 15, 12, 10, 8
single arm pec dec flyes: 4 sets: 12, 10, 10, 8 (make sure your range of movement is all the way over to the other shoulder, this will hit your inner chest REALLY well)
FST-7 high cable crossovers: 7 to 10 sets of 8 reps. choose a weight and try to stay with it all the way. Use the high pulleys and contract at the same level as your shoulders to target the upper chest.

THis is a pretty advanced workout so if you are newer to this, cut out one set from each exercize.

Good luck with the growth! this workout has helped me a LOT

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
as always damn good advice rodja
werd - solid advice, I find dips (leaning fwd) are a good finishing move.

Another option not mentioned so far is using supersets or trisets to pre-fatigue your pecs.

This is my current chest WO:

Flat bench - flat flies - Flat bench 10,10,10 x3

Incl. DB Press- incl-press up - Incl. DB Press 10,10,10 x3

Finishing with Dips or High Cable Cross-overs 12 x3

The weight remains the same for the compound component, and failure should be reached on the last 2-3 reps of the 2nd set, last 5 reps of the 3rd set. Having a WO partner is great for forced reps.