workout logs/ plans or improvise???

seanlambo

seanlambo

Awards
ok i was just wondering what most people here do as far as recording their workouts, also when going to the gym do you have a concrete plan on what your going to do for exercises, muscle groups, rep ranges and such.. i dont really have a specific split but i have a certain amount of days before i train muscle again, i also have an idea of what i'm going to do as far as exercises are concerned, but i have never written things down... so just wondering the pros and cons of each and what peole do/prefer thanks

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
By writing down your workout it allows you to improve the next time. Either by adding a little weight or adding 1or 2 reps. To really improve you have to be able to progress. If you can't remember how much you did the previous workout its hard to move forward. If you like the status quo, don't worry about it.
I really like DC training, which revolves around beating you log book week to week. If you don't add weight or reps two weeks in a row for a given exercise, then typically switch to a different exercise next time.

seanlambo

seanlambo

Awards
ya i figure it would help to record and def wanna start doing it i just think it will be hard to get in the habit of doing it

country1911

country1911

Banned
Awards
A lot of people just carry a small notebook like cops carry. That or some use their cell phone for music and a notepad(if it has that function).

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
I keep track of my progression on the main movements, but not every little accessory exercise. I have a plan for my main lift and some idea of my assistance work, but it's not set in stone.
I do think that almost everyone needs some kind of basic plan or framework to work from with concrete goals. Otherwise you end up spinning your wheels and can stagnate for months or even years. I know that's what happened to me. I recommend most people use some type of proven system or template, especially if you don't have many years of lifting experience. Most of the templates I see from inexperienced lifters who are trying to freelance are pretty poor. I don't know if that's the case here, but I would strongly consider using a proven system and keeping track of your progress.