Biceps won't grow and not getting sore, help!

Leetleguy

Awards
I've been training for 2 years 8 months exactly. My arms completely stopped
growing last year. I'm pretty positive that I'm not overtraining them, but my normal
routine is considered alot. Here it is:
biceps:
Olympic bar warm up 20 reps.
3 sets to failure with 70% max (115lbs)
1 last strip set stripping from 105 down to bar weight.

4 sets of standing concentration curls done Arnold style one arm at a time.

1 set with ez curl bar with 20lbs loaded 50 reps
1 more set just in reverse grip

back to Olympic bar for reverse curls
4 sets 65x8
55x8
45x10
45xas many as possible

it seems like alot of work for such a small muscle but they just don't
ever get sore! My arms measure just over 15 1/4" cold and if the weather
is just right. Need a little help or constructive criticism.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
like resolve said, change your routine. shock your muscles, drop sets and such

Leetleguy

Awards
Eat more. Change your routine. Do weighted pull-ups and chin-ups.
Good idea. I'll add weighted pull ups to my routine. I've never tried them.
Eat more is my middle name. And I don't always have the same routine. Some days I'll add heavy negative preacher curls or seated incline curls. This is the workout I did the last time my bi's got sore: my partner and I handed the easy curl bar back and forth loaded with heavy weight and stripped weight all the way down to the bar alone for 22 sets, every set past failure. My arms are very

bulls**t

bulls**t

Awards
  • Established
I suggest strategic deconditioning.
Take two weeks off completely (blasphemy!) then go back at it.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
Good idea. I'll add weighted pull ups to my routine. I've never tried them.
Eat more is my middle name. And I don't always have the same routine. Some days I'll add heavy negative preacher curls or seated incline curls. This is the workout I did the last time my bi's got sore: my partner and I handed the easy curl bar back and forth loaded with heavy weight and stripped weight all the way down to the bar alone for 22 sets, every set past failure. My arms are very
Chin-ups involve the biceps more than pull-ups

jim623

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Every other muscle in my body will grow except biceps. I even deticated a day entirely to work just biceps for a couple of weeks, did little to nothing.

Leetleguy

Awards
I'm in the same boat as the OP. Every other muscle in my body will grow except biceps. I even deticated a day entirely to work just biceps for a couple of weeks, did little to nothing.
Although my bi's haven't grown lately they have grown over two inches since I've started. Here's somthing I like to do to abuse my bi's.

Go in on back day. Do biceps first! Make sure to do a full biceps workout and then start on back and do heavy rowing, heavy lat pulldows and heavy db rows. Your arms will be totally fatigued and your back will be on fire. That is IF you work out with high intensity. If you don't, well good luck.

Leetleguy

Awards
I suggest strategic deconditioning.
Take two weeks off completely (blasphemy!) then go back at it.
Taking time off always gives me better power and a new found enjoyment for lifting, unfortunately It doesn't grow any new tissue

Leetleguy

Awards
get your squat max up. your arms WILL grow
This is what I hear from some guys. I guess it may be true but I don't see the direct correlation. They say that squats increase test levels. On the other hand. Here's an example,
my gym partner is massive looking with 17.5" arms to go along with his massive upperbody, but if someone pants him while he was doing his 70lb dumbell curls in each hand, you might mistake his thighs and calves from that of a 12 year old boy.

jim623

This is what I hear from some guys. I guess it may be true but I don't see the direct correlation. They say that squats increase test levels. On the other hand. Here's an example,
my gym partner is massive looking with 17.5" arms to go along with his massive upperbody, but if someone pants him while he was doing his 70lb dumbell curls in each hand, you might mistake his thighs and calves from that of a 12 year old boy.
His genetics allow him to have huge arms. Look at my avi, I'm 5'-7" @ 160lbs. I have very bad muscle building genes. It's a daily struggle to maintain weight, 2 weeks ago I was 168lbs. The slightest decrease in calories and I'm done for.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Add in different exercises... incline db's, Preacher curls, Zottmans etc etc. Dont ever keep your routine the same, and high reps on every set is what made mine grow. I would take out the Arnolds for now, as I used to be a great advocate of them until I noticed they were doing nothing for me(size-wise). They would be a great finisher for 1-2 sets, but do not try to use them as a staple mass building exercise. Also concentrating more on the peak contraction, controlled negatives, and going all the way down, without any bouncing or using the shoulders, should fix your plateau.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
clearly you are not him.

getting your legs to grow, YOUR LARGEST MUSCLE GROUPS, will ignite more growth within your upper body. "my biceps wouldn't grow" last year either....then i started focusing on squats, deads, rows, and bench...Now i still focus on those movements and getting those numbers up, but i'm hammer curling 50 lb dumbbells for 8-10 reps.
the only way i can explain it is, your body is ONE unit. if there is no stimulation in the lower body, why on earth is the upper body going to grow maximally.

Leetleguy

Awards
clearly you are not him.

getting your legs to grow, YOUR LARGEST MUSCLE GROUPS, will ignite more growth within your upper body. "my biceps wouldn't grow" last year either....then i started focusing on squats, deads, rows, and bench...Now i still focus on those movements and getting those numbers up, but i'm hammer curling 50 lb dumbbells for 8-10 reps.
the only way i can explain it is, your body is ONE unit. if there is no stimulation in the lower body, why on earth is the upper body going to grow maximally.
Clearly, genetics play a very important roll. But over time with dedication and hard work (and maybe a little anabolic help)
you can overcome your God given bad qualities. Hopefully I will be able to have arms that look like I actully work out.

Leetleguy

Awards
What's your entire split?
Monday: back/bi
Tuesday: chest/ rib cage expansion/ serratus

Thursday: legs/abs
fri: shoulders/ tri's

sat, sun- pull ups, push ups, dips, and bench presses
Just 2 sets each

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Separate your bicep and back days. IMO, training primary and secondary muscles together limits growth/strength potential.

jim623

Separate your bicep and back days. IMO, training primary and secondary muscles together limits growth/strength potential.
What are your thoughts on an arm day? Both bi's and tri's supersetted with some shoulder work.

Leetleguy

Awards
this info that your giving out to me is repugnant. I don't mean to be rude or question your knowledge and I guess I have to take into consideration that I don't know you personally. Here's something for you to consider. When a person has been training for quite sometime with basic exercises and isn't developing definition or growth regularly, then it would be time to take other measures. A pre exhaustion principle can stimulate growth very well. Which I am doing currently. Like beating my triceps to no end before I hit delts helps my delts grow very easily because the shoulder now takes the brunt of the work! That is an old weider method. I don't necesarily this principal all the time. Just lately I've wanted to fully isolate and exhaust certain stubborn muscle groups. So you say this method limits the ability to get stronger or grow? I disagree.
My knowledge is yet to be tested on training principles due to the fact that I've read through so many training books. I guess I should not have asked for help. Again sorry if I offended you in any way.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What are your thoughts on an arm day? Both bi's and tri's supersetted with some shoulder work.
Training antagonists is always a good idea to me. It keeps the tendons warm and full of blood.

this info that your giving out to me is repugnant. I don't mean to be rude or question your knowledge and I guess I have to take into consideration that I don't know you personally. Here's something for you to consider. When a person has been training for quite sometime with basic exercises and isn't developing definition or growth regularly, then it would be time to take other measures. A pre exhaustion principle can stimulate growth very well. Which I am doing currently. Like beating my triceps to no end before I hit delts helps my delts grow very easily because the shoulder now takes the brunt of the work! That is an old weider method. I don't necesarily this principal all the time. Just lately I've wanted to fully isolate and exhaust certain stubborn muscle groups. So you say this method limits the ability to get stronger or grow? I disagree.
My knowledge is yet to be tested on training principles due to the fact that I've read through so many training books. I guess I should not have asked for help. Again sorry if I offended you in any way.
However, in your example, the triceps are only involved in presses during delt work; they're not worked during front raises, side laterals, etc. Working back and biceps together negatively impacts each other. You can't work your back to its full extent when your biceps are already fatigued.

Also, unwillingness to implement new ideas is the fastest way to stagnation.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
my arms wer like the that abercrombie boys ripped and i spend hours doing sets of bi's and tris...

Now there ****ing built there flexed after two days off at 16 inches 170 pounds BW... NOt trying to brag just giving u some info

but DROP ARM DAY for four weeks do no direct arm training.

Deads. v bar pulls. Rope pulls even machines everything u do for ur back that involves pull will work ur biceps. go heavy as u can and u wont wanna do bicep and wont need to ;).. after those 4 weeks then try going back to direct arm work see if that helps.

MPFit

MPFit

Awards
  • Established
That is GREAT advice.. I used a split similar to the Back/Bi one..
Since I switched to something like Back/Abs and Bi/Shoulders with Tri/Legs with chest alone I have seen my biceps grow SO much more- it's practically two workouts a week on biceps and triceps..
Since the Biceps are a smaller muscle say compared to chest and legs, it can be worked out twice a week granted your diet is in order to repair the muscles properly.

I found my biceps peaks also grew TONS when I do preacher ez-bar close grip curls, I however go ALL the way down (I even stand up a little bit to get the "stretch" and the bar to get lower) then come back up- obviously don't hurt yourself.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Injury / Rehab 3
DemntedCowboy Natural Bodybuilding 83
enhanced Anabolics 11
u_e_s_i Training Forum 28
u_e_s_i Training Forum 13