bench press

  1. bench press


    hey guys i have a decent bench and if i ever compted in a competition id bench around 300plus... what i was wondering tho is what are ppls opinions on not touching your chest when bench...ex. i come down about to inches about my chest slowly and controlled i have notice less pressure on my shoulders and i feel it in my chest more...


  2. well 300+ is good.. but id touch ur chest or it doesnt count.

  3. Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    well 300+ is good.. but id touch ur chest or it doesnt count.

    This, you won't be benching 300+ in a competition if you aren't touching your chest. Don't bounce it off the chest either, and don't lift your ass off the bench. This is similar to saying I can squat X amount of weight, but I only go a quarter of the way down. You are doing a board press without the board.
    •   
       


  4. noo i can bench 300plus one time perfect if i go down touch my chest and up....but as far as high reps i do not i leave about 2 inch or room and go back up...it saves my shoulders and i feel much better the next day

  5. at1010 I am just like yourself, i used to bring the bar all the way down but then i incured a shoulder injury from something else had surgery and now when i press flat or incline i bring it within a few inches so there is no pressure on my shoulders.
    They are very correct in the competition , you must touch your chest and to be honest at your weight your going to need to bench way more then 300lbs to compete. i used to belong to a power lifting gym where they competed all the time and guys your weight warmmed up with 315 and maxed in the high 400's. im sure if you research you can find what a avg. comp benchis for your weight. good luck

  6. oo ya man for sure...im not looking to compete and if i did i would probly use phs or roids like those guys go in the off season....you cant say they dont i have lifted at several diff gyms and im always in the upper group of strength for my size...but thanks for your tip and dont you feel your chest is getting worked just as good if not better...?

  7. Quote Originally Posted by at1010 View Post
    oo ya man for sure...im not looking to compete and if i did i would probly use phs or roids like those guys go in the off season....you cant say they dont i have lifted at several diff gyms and im always in the upper group of strength for my size...but thanks for your tip and dont you feel your chest is getting worked just as good if not better...?
    yea it does work ur chest better doing it that way i keep my reps continous (not locked out) for incline dbs it works soo good.

    and ive heard of a couple trainers that suggest doing floor presses instead of flat bench for a couple cycles that way u save stress from going all the way down thus putting stress on ur shoulders.. esp when ur chest gets so big that a floor press is pretty much touching ur chest haha. i dont got that yet tho

  8. It's not a legit bench unless it touches your chest. I see so many people doing half presses and i cringe. As far as shoulder health goes if you're looking for a big bench PL style it's all technique that focuses mostly on the triceps, lats and front delts. Get the elbows in and you save your shoulders in the long term.
    Floor presses have their place as well, when cycled carefully

  9. Quote Originally Posted by at1010 View Post
    hey guys i have a decent bench and if i ever compted in a competition id bench around 300plus... what i was wondering tho is what are ppls opinions on not touching your chest when bench...ex. i come down about to inches about my chest slowly and controlled i have notice less pressure on my shoulders and i feel it in my chest more...
    This whole post sounds very suspicious... Are you even a real person? and how do you know you could push 300 in a competition? Have you ever done 300??? and I do mean touching your chest.. no partials accepted here.

    Seriously.. we all know there are diffrent approaches to benching.. if you are trying to push heavy weight with the BB chicken wing style then HELL YES ITS GONNA HURT! If you have a solid powerlifter style with a healthy arch bringing the bar to the bottom of your chest or even a little lower, then you will experience much less pressure on the shoulders.

    But hey... feel free to chase that unicorn all around the forest.....

  10. hey guys i listened to you and closed my grip in alil and got good form....i touched my chest almost every rep which is better for me and my shoulders dont feel like they are gunna explode...i did 3x8 a set of 6 then 185 as many times as i could and i did 225,235,245,255,185 for 18 reps...thanks again

  11. Quote Originally Posted by at1010 View Post
    hey guys i listened to you and closed my grip in alil and got good form....i touched my chest almost every rep which is better for me and my shoulders dont feel like they are gunna explode...i did 3x8 a set of 6 then 185 as many times as i could and i did 225,235,245,255,185 for 18 reps...thanks again
    Grip or elbows?

  12. both alil...not to much but i griped in alil more...about a finger length inside of the ring...and just kept my elbows alil tigher more tricpe used..
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Bench Press Help
    By Swanson52 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-09-2013, 01:13 AM
  2. help with bench press?
    By craze123 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-21-2008, 09:08 PM
  3. MAX BENCH PRESS
    By Wolfe08 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-11-2005, 08:03 PM
  4. Do not bench press alone
    By HUGE in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Log in
Log in