cardio

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.63%

cardio

is it better to do cardio b4 or after a lift?

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.8%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

After.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  189 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.57%

well it'd depend on your goal, but if trying to build muscle I would do it on a seperate day, if trying to build muscle and must do it same day, probably afterwards but you'll most likely become catabolic so I wouldn't do it in excess.
    •   

4. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.51%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by illgixxer View Post
    well it'd depend on your goal, but if trying to build muscle I would do it on a seperate day, if trying to build muscle and must do it same day, probably afterwards but you'll most likely become catabolic so I wouldn't do it in excess.
    Agreed. Some people like to do 5 minutes before a w/o to warmup, if thats your kinda thing, but if it is specifically for weight loss, after wards would be better. Also there are studies that show doing cardio after a w/o raises GH levels.
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.63%

ok thanks alot guys...i lift on a 8 day split and i lift heavy and fast so i get a good workout in...in the past months ive seen great results and the cardio after the workout i use just to keep my bf down
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.85%

To keep as much muscle as possible, or when you're training for a show, you should do it after training. The "best" time would be first thing in the morning and then train later in the day, if you are training for a show.

Those are my 2 cents.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82%

Basically, 10 minutes of cardio before a lift will make things easier in the weights room. A bit of fartlek is needed too, to wake your body up before you do anything intense.
  8. Banned
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.02%

why are you doing cardio? are you competing?

Diet Trumps Cardio. Just eat less.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.85%

Quote Originally Posted by GetSwoll View Post

Not quite sure if I agree with this statement as a general rule. I think diet and cardio go hand in hand. If you do less cardio, you have to work harder on your diet. If you want to eat more food, more cardio is necessary.

However, I will agree that asking about what the goals are regarding this question is a good start to figuring it al out.
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.63%

my goals are just to lower my bf percent im 59 or 510 and weigh 197 im a think dude...im strong but i just wanna get them abs so i have done alot more cardio
  11. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.85%

As far as caloric expenditure goes, they are both equally the same. You can choose to burn as many kcals you want, likewise you can consume as many kcals as you want. However, exercise has added benefits which a diet alone cannot do (cardiovascular health-bp,rhr; aids in primary and secondary prevention/treatment of many chronic disease such as pulmonary disease (COPD), osteoporosis, metabolic disease (hypothyroidism, diabetes (type II)). Not to mention strength benefits as well.
  12. Banned
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.02%

Quote Originally Posted by russy_russ View Post
    As far as caloric expenditure goes, they are both equally the same. You can choose to burn as many kcals you want, likewise you can consume as many kcals as you want. However, exercise has added benefits which a diet alone cannot do (cardiovascular health-bp,rhr; aids in primary and secondary prevention/treatment of many chronic disease such as pulmonary disease (COPD), osteoporosis, metabolic disease (hypothyroidism, diabetes (type II)). Not to mention strength benefits as well.
    I guess; But You can get a lot those benefits from lifting weights. If you do enough cardio, you'll start looking like an old lady.

I resistance train 1.5 - 2 hrs a day. Thats a ton of cals burned.

In my experience, the more cardio i do, the hungrier i become. So Its counterproductive in my case, i guess.
  13. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.85%

I guess; But You can get a lot those benefits from lifting weights. If you do enough cardio, you'll start looking like an old lady.

In my experience, the more cardio i do, the hungrier i become. So Its counterproductive in my case, i guess.
    Exercise doesn't just pertain to cardiovascular and cardiorespiratory training, it also includes weight lifting.
  14. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  116 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.4%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

For a start resistance training every day for 1.5-2 hours is not advisable.

Two, cardio is never counterproductive if you are eating ENOUGH to cover the energy expenditure.

~Rosie
    Team APPNUT
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  15. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.67%

Quote Originally Posted by rantorcha View Post
    Not quite sure if I agree with this statement as a general rule. I think diet and cardio go hand in hand. If you do less cardio, you have to work harder on your diet. If you want to eat more food, more cardio is necessary.

However, I will agree that asking about what the goals are regarding this question is a good start to figuring it al out.

I think cardio is popular with those who weigh less then 200lbs... It keeps the skinny kids skinny!

FK cardio!!! if you want to burn fat do complexes. If you look at all the people on the hampster wheels you will see that its not doing them much good!!! There was an article on t-nation . com not to long ago that posted research showing that steady state cardio doesent do **** for you unless you have a lot...A LOT!!! OF MUSCLE MASS! That does not apply to you mr skinny under 220!

man.. I am such an a hole sometimes. forgive me
  16. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.85%

Quote Originally Posted by codywaters View Post
    I think cardio is popular with those who weigh less then 200lbs... It keeps the skinny kids skinny!

FK cardio!!! if you want to burn fat do complexes. If you look at all the people on the hampster wheels you will see that its not doing them much good!!! There was an article on t-nation . com not to long ago that posted research showing that steady state cardio doesent do **** for you unless you have a lot...A LOT!!! OF MUSCLE MASS! That does not apply to you mr skinny under 220!

man.. I am such an a hole sometimes. forgive me
    "Steady State Cardio" does plenty for ANYONE of ANY WEIGHT CLASS. Not only does it elicit metabolic effects such as t3 receptor remodeling, which allows plasma t3 to bind and elicit its metabolic effects. Also, cardiovascular training aids in primary and secondary prevention/treatment of many chronic diseases (CVD, PAD, COPD, Metabolic Diseases). And, at lower intensity exercise ~60% substrate selection comes from lipids, 35-38% carbohydrates, 2-5% protein. We all know that higher intensity burns less fat % ~30-40% however total kcals burned is much higher so in actuality you potentially burn more fat at higher intensity "steady state cardio". A high intensity "stead state cardio" for a lengthened duration causes a shift in substrate selection from carbohydrates back to lipids even at high intensity.

Not everyone wants to be 220+lbs. You shouldn't spread information in which you know nothing about, some people actually listen to this ignorance and only end up hurting themselves in the long run.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 11:22 PM
  2. Cardio after leg day
    By Strygwyr in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-10-2010, 11:00 PM
  3. Interval Cardio & Steady State Cardio
    By baz350 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2009, 08:58 PM
  4. when to do cardio