HELP! Pulled Calf Muscle

1. keeper

HELP! Pulled Calf Muscle

I was running bleachers this evening and felt a pop in my right calf muscle. Mid back side. It's badly pulled. I rubbed DMSO on it. Can't fully extend it at all. I've heard that how such injuries are handled on the front end can make a difference in the down time. Any advice or home remedies? I'm not a patient patient about things that stop me from training. I'm sure y'all can relate.

2. jim623

Ice it down for 15 minutes, take it off for about an hour, then heat it for 15 minutes, wait an hour, ice it again. Wash , rinse, repeat. The ice controls swelling and the heat promotes circulation.
  3. keeper

Okay, so it is not pulled. The pop I felt and heard indicated a tear. A bit of muscle tore from the tendon. I believe it's a level 2 tear. It's a common injury among sprinters, usually occurring as they leave the starting block. It will heal itself, but will take weeks to do so. Meanwhile I must baby it.

THIS STINKS!!!!!!!!!
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.85%

Typically, as you have mentioned, a popping sound usually means a tendon tear/dislocation. Depending on the severity of the tear will determine if surgery is necessary. Regardless, I would seek a medical doctor's assistance.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.76%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

my orthopedics is a bit rusty, but generally you need a full thickness achilles tear for surgery. keeper noted the tear is mid body...not achilles. intrasubstance or myotendinous junction tears are treated conservatively, which she's doing.

i wish you well keeper!!!
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'6"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.33%

Emu oil penetrates deeply and is an anti-inflammatory. Blu Emu is a product available at many drug stores (and Walmart), but 100% emu oil might be the best thing for that in addition to the icing and rest.

Injuries suck. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by keeper View Post
    I was running bleachers this evening and felt a pop in my right calf muscle. Mid back side. It's badly pulled. I rubbed DMSO on it. Can't fully extend it at all. I've heard that how such injuries are handled on the front end can make a difference in the down time. Any advice or home remedies? I'm not a patient patient about things that stop me from training. I'm sure y'all can relate.
  7. keeper

Quote Originally Posted by WheyGood View Post
    Emu oil penetrates deeply and is an anti-inflammatory. Blu Emu is a product available at many drug stores (and Walmart), but 100% emu oil might be the best thing for that in addition to the icing and rest.

Injuries suck. :-(
    It so happens that I have some emu oil. Not that brand, but I will start applying it. Thank you very much.
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.09%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

what happened to your avi keeper?

Similar Forum Threads

1. Protruding muscle in calf????
    By Jasonlb7 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3