Deadlift grip

itzgambino

Awards
Can anybody tell me the pros and cons between doing deadlifts with a wide grip in comparison to a close grip. Through my whole training career I have done a mixed wide grip but I saw someone yesterday using a close grip and wondered if there were any benefits to the close grip? Thanks!

jim623

Can anybody tell me the pros and cons between doing deadlifts with a wide grip in comparison to a close grip. Through my whole training career I have done a mixed wide grip but I saw someone yesterday using a close grip and wondered if there were any benefits to the close grip? Thanks!
Non that I am aware of. It would seem to me you couldn't lift as much due to being unstable with close grip.

seanlambo

seanlambo

Awards
with a close grip they were most likely doing stiff leg deads for your hamstring, thats how i do them or romanian deads (very similar) I usually use wide grip when doing my back

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
I was reading a sticky on the intensemuscle forums(DC forums) about deadlifting tips a while back and agreed with with the OP posted. The OP lifts some good weight, and stated that the closer the grip the is, the longer your arms are, therefore the less you have to actually pull up. Also by rolling the shoulders forward slightly and letting them hang loosely, rather than bringing them all the way back, also equates to a shorter pull distance. Ive done both to my deads and I went up immensely on my weight.

Also you can mess around with leg configuration( hands inside/outside knees, narrow/wide stance, and straight-slightly bent/ bent knees) to take out the ham activation and put more workload on the back.

The only con of this I noticed was a slight decrease in weight @ first, due to learning the form and getting in the "groove", but in no time I was repping 100 lbs more on my last set.

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
A wider grip will work your grip more. I do snatch grip double overhand rack pulls for grip/trap work. Like brk_nemesis, using a wider grip increases your ROM which is why you'll never see a powerlifter (in competition anyway) using a wide grip. Ideally you should be at shoulder width so your arms hang straight down. It's also less strain on your lower back & hips with a narrower grip since your not down as low when you start the lift.

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established
I have no clue. I use a Hex bar; the thing is GREAT.

Also, there's some kid, he's around 18 I believe over on T-Nation that does elvated DL's with 500lbs! **** is crazy! I'll get the vid and post it here today. It's insane.

itzgambino

Awards
awesome stuff guys, back is tomorrow so I maybe just throw in a set of close grips just to see how it feels

liquid

liquid

Awards
  • Established
From personal experience.

Far grip hits the backs more.

Close grip utilize the legs more, and lower back.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
He's arching his back, like a MF'er.

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established
That's great form IMO.
Yep, DL = working the back. I'm prefer using the SLDL for the low back, but of course the DL will hit that as well! But I like to drop my hips lower using more legs. I'm just super cautious with my low back, I don't want probs like I once had many yrs. ago.

But man, that kid can pull, and what a grip!

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Aite OP,... the IM forums finally got running again(they have been down) and here is the one guys writeup for his Deadlifting tips. Video included.

I'd advise alot of people read this,.. it surely made me change my old ways of doing deads.

By exmgq:

for starters a persons build determines his/her starting position. other factors include strength and weaknesses in your pull. for instance a puller with shorter arms will have to set up deeper to achieve the proper starting position. longer arms means a higher starting position. also if your lockout is stronger than your "off the floor" power then a higher setup will yield better results. i can lockout more weight than i can get off the floor so i have a higher stating position. whats th advantage of a higher starting position? whats the advantage of squatting higher than ass deep? the higher the squat the more weight you can move. the advantage of a deeper set up is youll be in be more upright position so more weight is shifted to "squatting" the weight off the floor as opposed to pulling it off the floor.

setup is critical for big pulls. if you are properly setup and you let go of the bar you will fall backwards. your arms need to be hanging straight down. this means you are behind the bar as opposed to being over the bar. leverage makes a big difference whenever work is involved. better leverage = more weight being moved with the same amount of work.

also you dont want you arms to be spread open. your hands should be shoulder width at grip.

make your arms as long as possible. takes a lil practice but it will knock several inches off your pull. do not try to shrug the weigh at all. your traps must be relaxed. shoulders rolled slightly forward. arms relaxed except for the death grip. to practice this next time you pull, at lockout, relax your arms and shoulders and see how low you can get the bar to hang. youll be surprised.

dont pull back past the upright position. the rules say all you gotta be is upright.

once the bar gets past your knees quit trying to pull the weight up and focus more on getting your hips forward. watch the clips i posted and notice my hips. hips forward and the lift is complete. im upright, arms relaxed, shoulder rolled forward, traps relaxed.

sumo is a shorter pull than conventional. i pull sumo in meets but most of my training is done conv. why? i train conv more because its a longer pull. meet time i pull sumo for the shorter pull. also if you have the flexibility using an ultra wide sumo stance is even better. youll be even closed to the floor. i was working with a young lady here in the gym the other night and i had her feet all the way out to the plates. her pull was maybe 8" and she was locked out. she is short with long arms. she was pulling smoother than she ever had and pulling weight more easily. she was also setting up way too deep which did not suit her strengths.

taking the slack outta the bar. (this means to have the bar bent as far as its gonna bend without the weight coming off the floor). once setup there is a couple ways to do this. after setting up and just before you pull arch your back upward slightly. this will take the slack out of the bar, pull your shoulders/traps down and get you in the highest starting position possible with your set up style. the other method is to setup jes a tad deeper than you normally would and using leg drive to do this. i prefer the first method esp if im in gear.
Vid of him doing 620x5:
YouTube - deads 620 x 5, intensemuscle.com

You can only view the threads a couple times before having to register, but anyway,....
Thread link: http://www.intensemuscle.com/28442-deadlift-tips.html

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
That is John Pinder deadlifting. He has probably more to do with my training philosophy than anyone. Great guy, and a great write up. He hit a high 700 in his late 40's a few years back.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
From personal experience.

Far grip hits the backs more.

Close grip utilize the legs more, and lower back.
I agree. I have a hard time with the wide grip because of my short arms, lol. I grip a little past my shoulder and make sure to concentrate on the entire back opposed to lower. I have found my self pulling with lower at times. I also like to do one palm facing in and one facing out for heavy lifts. Difficult time doing that with a wide grip.

liquid

liquid

Awards
  • Established
I agree. I have a hard time with the wide grip because of my short arms, lol. I grip a little past my shoulder and make sure to concentrate on the entire back opposed to lower. I have found my self pulling with lower at times. I also like to do one palm facing in and one facing out for heavy lifts. Difficult time doing that with a wide grip.
Have you considered using the squat rack?

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
Deficit deads are great for building speed off the floor.