athelete with scoliosis?

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Im 21 and I have slight scoliosis. Its not that big of a deal besides the fact I have a muscle imbalance. My lower left back muscles are huge compared to my right, and my right upper back muscles are big compared to my left. Every once in a while I have back pain. Is there a way to help this? And will this effect me as a starting out mma fighter? Not pro, I just want to be the best possible. Thanks.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
humble area... where do you train? I would go to a chiro and have them look and do check ups/ adjustments 3 times a week if I were to participate in any kind of sport.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
I would get a chiropracter though and schedule appointments 3x a week.

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Its weird. My muscles are odd and whatnot, but not one side seems stronger than the other. I just hope it doesn't limit me in the future with muay thai, or lifting for that matter.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Its weird. My muscles are odd and whatnot, but not one side seems stronger than the other. I just hope it doesn't limit me in the future with muay thai, or lifting for that matter.
my girlfriend has scoliosis and has lost about 2 inches since we started dating. She sees a chiro 3x a week and it has been helping quite a bit. She does kickboxing and soccer, and she says using the chiropracter has helped her alot.

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Hmm maybe mine isn't so bad. I haven't lost height. My back rarely hurts, I just slouch a lot. And the obvious muscle imbalance. Dunno. 3 times a week is pricey. I might get a consultation and see what they say.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Hmm maybe mine isn't so bad. I haven't lost height. My back rarely hurts, I just slouch a lot. And the obvious muscle imbalance. Dunno. 3 times a week is pricey. I might get a consultation and see what they say.
insurance helps also

keeper

Please google and contact Dr. Rick Brown, El Dorado AR. He knows of an new chiropractic method of treating mild scoliosis with remarkable results. I think it involves weekly treatment for a period of time, then bi-monthly touch-up adjustments. He doesn't have the necessary certification to to this treatment, but knows dr's who do it and will be glad to talk with you if you tell the receptionist the reason for your call. He's very kind actually enjoys helping people even when there's nothing in it for him.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Im 21 and I have slight scoliosis. Its not that big of a deal besides the fact I have a muscle imbalance. My lower left back muscles are huge compared to my right, and my right upper back muscles are big compared to my left. Every once in a while I have back pain. Is there a way to help this? And will this effect me as a starting out mma fighter? Not pro, I just want to be the best possible. Thanks.
Having a scoliosis will not affect you as an athlete. Trust me, I have one from a back injury when I was 20. I have been told that my resistance training has been what has caused it not to be the issue that it would be if I had not been doing it.

You shouldn't be getting back pain from the scoliosis; it is most probably from your muscle imbalance.

The best way to help 'control' scoliosis is to build up the muscles in your back. I would recommend working on correcting your muscle imbalance.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have an s curve and a c curve toward the top. If I look at myself in a mirror while I train one shoulder is an inch shorter.

That being said the only time I have pain is when I dont train back weekly. You can try working the smaller side more to try to even out. I can do most things asked of me in training however my form may differ a bit from a person with a straight spine. I have been monitered by a dr for it since I was 8yrs old.

The only trouble I can see with MMA might be if you lose flexibility.

gibsonj4

gibsonj4

Awards
  • Established
I have a 43 degree curve and my doctor said I had two options: surgery or live with it. I live with it and he recommended strength traing and I feel better now than before. It seems like since I strengthened my back it has become less noticeable and pain has subsided quite a bit.

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
What's the best way to control the imbalance? My lower back on the left is a lot bigger that the right. I've been working on my posture and whatnot. What can help even this out?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's the best way to control the imbalance? My lower back on the left is a lot bigger that the right. I've been working on my posture and whatnot. What can help even this out?
Then you need to work on building up the left side; you could try doing single side exercises, especially for your rhomboids (this will help more with posture as well) for a while (but don't neglect to do exercises that work both). Otherwise, exercises like pull-ups and barbell rows will help a bit.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You can things like single side dumbell rows and using a handle in the cables do bent over single side lat pulldowns, etc..

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Well that depends on you. I do between the leg pull throughs with the pulley on the floor or dumbell pull throughs. I do hyperextensions non weighted or the lower back machine. The more work you do the less your back hurts. You just have to build it slowly along the way. It also depends on you as well and how much pain it causes you.

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
The only thing it really hurts to do is twist to the right. Say when I do side to side with my legs laying on my back. Moving my legs to the right hurts my back because of the muscle imbalance. And trying to stand up straight.

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
So I have a thoracic curve. Getting x rays to check the degree. The only pain im really having is under my shoulder blade on my right, because I have a rib hump, and my side under my ribs.

p951

p951

Awards
I'm 37 and I have mild scoliosis also. I had a shift in the spine imbalance about 2 years ago and ever since then I was told to stop barbell squats. I now use the Leg Press machine and occasionally the Smith machine. My left lats are also hard to engage as the spine is slightly curved. I notice that when I do the Hammer Press machine or Barbell Front Shoulder Press, my head is off center.

I think you will be okay with mild scoliosis as long as you stay away from Heavy Squats or any other type of exercise that you feel might compress the spine further

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
its weird, squats don't hurt me. But I only do 45 pounds on each side for about 12. Should I quit this? If it doesn't hurt, will it make it worse even with proper form?

p951

p951

Awards
For me the problem with squats is that since my hips are not equally aligned, when I come down I'm off slightly to one side so that it is hard to feel it in the other leg. I also tend to get some knee pain in the leg which bears the most load. I've found that the Epic freeform squat machine helps to correct this imbalance. Don't know if you have this machine at your gym - I go to 24 hour

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
its weird, squats don't hurt me. But I only do 45 pounds on each side for about 12. Should I quit this? If it doesn't hurt, will it make it worse even with proper form?
If they do not hurt you and your form is good then there is no reason to stop doing squats (even if you have a scoliosis). However, you do need to change either your weight, sets, reps, or recovery time at some stage, since it is pointless to always do them at 135lb x 12 reps.

For me the problem with squats is that since my hips are not equally aligned, when I come down I'm off slightly to one side so that it is hard to feel it in the other leg. I also tend to get some knee pain in the leg which bears the most load. I've found that the Epic freeform squat machine helps to correct this imbalance. Don't know if you have this machine at your gym - I go to 24 hour
You can always use a block beneath the foot (or heel) that is shorter. Or not do squats weighted on the front or back with a BB, but instead use a DB or no weight at all.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Yes, we do have this machine. Honestly, ive never used it. I think its time to look into doing different things though. Im going to give it a try. :)

p951

p951

Awards
If they do not hurt you and your form is good then there is no reason to stop doing squats (even if you have a scoliosis). However, you do need to change either your weight, sets, reps, or recovery time at some stage, since it is pointless to always do them at 135lb x 12 reps.

You can always use a block beneath the foot (or heel) that is shorter. Or not do squats weighted on the front or back with a BB, but instead use a DB or no weight at all.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

Maybe, but since I Leg Press almost half a ton for 5 reps, I don't think DB's will provide much resistance

p951

p951

Awards
I'm excited for you. Give that machine a try as well as the Leg Press machine. I've still got some pretty impressive legs even without doing squats for over 1 year

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Maybe, but since I Leg Press almost half a ton for 5 reps, I don't think DB's will provide much resistance
Doing a Leg Press is completely different from doing a Squat (even though they work the same body parts). The weight you can use on the Leg Press is no indicator of what you can do on a Squat.

The same goes for doing Squats re what TYPE of squat it is (i.e. front or back) and whether you use BB or DB. You cannot really compare BB and DB Squats re weight used, because they are different.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT