Re-modelling my Routine!!

Chuck

Awards
Chuck's old school routine:
MON- Chest/Triceps
TUE- Legs/Calves (some abs, but very inconsistent here)
THU- Shoulders/Back
FRI- Biceps/Forearms

Now, I have been lifting since the beginning of high school and I have finally learned that if you really want your forearms, abs, and calves to grow- ya gotta train these TWICE a week. In some cases you may wanna do them three times a week, depending on how you respond. So here's the new routine I have devised, specifically tailored to my needs to promote maximal anabolism:

MON- Abs/Back/Calves
TUE- Chest/Grip (another way to work forearms)
WED- Calves/Legs
THU- Biceps/triceps/forearms
FRI- Abs/Shoulders

A bit of a radical routine here. I don't think you find this from browsing articles at BB.com or reading Muscle & Fitness magazines :p In my experience I honestly think this is routine something that can really push my results beyond what I've been expecting. I know I won't have any weekdays off and a couple workouts will be extended beyond the 1-hour I've been acustomed to but all I gotta say to myself is suck it up. I'll be starting this after my 2 weeks off, Feb. 16. I should have the exercises I'll be doing up soon too.

Last edited:
BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I can't speak for you, but I need rest in between workouts for mass gains. I was told long ago that if you insist on going everyday then do calves and forearms on "off" days, which IMO would fit into what you are trying to do.

Chuck

Awards
I can't speak for you, but I need rest in between workouts for mass gains. I was told long ago that if you insist on going everyday then do calves and forearms on "off" days, which IMO would fit into what you are trying to do.
I see where you're coming from. I think what's key is that I shouldn't be working body parts that are closely related to other body parts, consecutive days. An example would be chest on one day, then shoulders the next day. I'm a big fan of incline/flat dumbbell presses for chest and doing shoulder presses the next day simply doesn't mix. When I made up this routine I made sure not to make this kinda mistake.

BTW- When I'm trying to build mass- which I always am!, I find that it can help to workout as frequently as possible without overtraining cuz everytime you workout you trigger your body to release more anabolic hormones. An example is when I do legs following chest day I notice my sore chest goes away faster. I guarantee that's cuz the squats helped to release more testosterone and other anabolic chemicals.

Last edited:

FTMGuy

Awards
Working tri's 3 times a week might be a bit of an over kill for them. I would cut tri's out of your THU workout. Maybe just cut THU out all together other wise you will be working our forarms why to much also. U could do grip on WED and BI's on FRI.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Chuck: This is the 5-day split that I really like.
Sunday: Chest/biceps
Monday: Quads (squats, leg press, hacks, calves)
Wed: Hams (SLDL, Hamstring curls)
Thurs: Shoulders/triceps
Friday: Back/core

I know it has some odd groupings, but I think I've posted somewhere else about this... I'll answer any questions/attacks :)

ManBeast

Chuck

Awards
Thanks for all the advice I appreciate it.
Now here's the exact routine now:

MON- Abs/Back/Calves

Cruches: 3 sets

Dumbbell Rows: 3x10

Figure-4 Crunches: 3 sets (per side)

Wide Chins: 3x8

Calf Press: 6x20

Cable Rows: 3x8

TUE- Chest/Grip

Dumbbell Bench: 3x6

Ivanko Super Gripper: 3x12 (per arm)

Incline Dumbbell Bench: 3x6

Pinching 25 lb plates: 3 sets til failure

Seated Chest Press: 3x8

Wrist Roller: 3 sets

WED- Calves/Legs

Squat: 3x12 (I love those 12 reppers!)
Calf Press: 3x20
Leg Press: 3x15

Calf Press: 3x20

Leg Extension: 3x15

Leg Curls: 2x12

THU- Biceps/triceps/forearms

Dumbbell Wrist Curls: 3x10

Barbell Curls: 3x8

Lying Tricep Extensions: 3x10

Seated Hammer Curls: 3x8

Weighted Dips: 3x8

21 Curls: 3x21

Tricep Pushdowns: 3x8

Wrist Roller: 3 sets

FRI- Abs/Shoulders

Lateral Raises: 4x8

Crunches: 3 sets

Seated Dumbbell Presses: 4x6-8

Figure-4 Crunches: 3 sets (per side)

Shrugs: 3x10

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
Personally I prefer a variation of the push/pull/leg three day split. Then again I'm a HIT junkie.

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
Chuck,

I saw in another thread where you're talking about competing in a powerlifting competition. How about retooling your routine over to Westside or another powerlifting program?

~Todd