Take a peek at my routine for my first cycle.....

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
I am running a 4ad/1t transdermal for 6 weeks.

Here it is:

Day 1: Push/Pull 4x12
Day2: Legs (quad dominant)
Day 3: Push/Pull 4x8
Day 4: Legs (Ham dominant)
Day 5: Push/Pull 5x5
Off
Off

I have run the following workouts with great results and this newest creation is a hybrid which adds more frequency due to the fact that I'll be on the juice. What do you think?

I have done these workouts in the past with good results:

Workout 1:

Push

Pull

Legs

Day off

Repeat

Workout 2:

Chest

Back

Day off

Legs

Shoulders/ Lat

Off

Off

Workout 3: From "The New Rules of Lifting"

Push/Pull

Legs

off

Push/Pull

Legs

OFF

OFF

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Why not make day 4 off, and bump other lifting days 1. spread your off days.

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
off days

I would love to do that, but the gym is only open monday to friday in the summer.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
ok. You listed a push/pull day MWF. I would suggest using different exercises each day and maybe limiting them to 2 per workout, maybe even just one if you hit it hard enough with a lot of intensity. Since you are going to do them 3 days, you shouldn't need to do 3-4 exercises per day with the given rep range you listed. Otherwise you will probably limit your recovery by doing so much in a limited time frame. It will also limit amount of time lifting each day, and allow a bit more for cardio if you need it.

Post up what exercises you were thinking.

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
push pull

For the push pull it goes like this:

DB Bench
T-Row

BB Shoulder Press
Lat Pulldown

Dips
Pull Ups

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
For the push pull it goes like this:

DB Bench
T-Row

BB Shoulder Press
Lat Pulldown

Dips
Pull Ups
You were going to do these the same each day, except different rep ranges? Or are they grouped to show MWF?
Are you just going for good compound moves and not worrying about the "showy" exercises? If so, not a bad mode of thinking. Don't forget, recovery is where mass is built, not a ton of sets. The supps will help you recover, you just don't want to go overboard with the workload, b/c it might becomre counterproductive.
Also, what are your leg exercises? Post them up as well.
It looks like you are going for basic, chest, shoulder, back and leg compound moves. I commend you for that. I think you can do a bit more tweaking, to get the most out of your time and supps. Others can feel free to chime in as well.

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
routine

I do these the same MWF, just different rep ranges. So 6 exercises. I am just focusing on compounds. That's where my best gains come from. I do a similar routine but only 4 days all natural and I haven't burnt out, so I can figure I can handle an extra day on the sauce.

For legs I do:

Day 2:
DB Lunges
Leg extensions
Leg curls
Calf raises
Abs

Day 4:
DL's
Leg press
Leg curls
Calf raises
Abs

You may ask where are the squats???? Well I got so strong (repping 350 for 6x10) that my legs could handle it, but my back couldn't support the weight. I have a small frame and small joints so i had some mildly herniated disks. As a result I substituted the squats for lunges to give my spine a rest and time to heal.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
What about hack squats? Might be able to pound out a bit more with that vs. lunges.
Leg curls on 2 days? Not a compound move. Probably a bit much. I am of the opinion that you are planning a bit too much work load and won't have enough recovery. I understand how taking "better supps" makes you think you will be invincible. Been there a few years ago. But when I bulked on them, I lowered the work volume, to be able to give 110% to every set, every rep. I felt like I wasn't doing enough, but I did. If you effectively hit your muscles on monday, you won't be able to do them again in 2 days. Period. If you can, I question your work ethic/intensity. Not trying to offend, I just want to try to help you get the most out of your plan, that's all. I posted earlier about a leg workout I did last friday morning. Just squats, 4 warmups, 3 sets of 225/5-6 reps, slow and all the way down, then 1 set of 135/20 reps. SLow and controlled, every rep. Then for Hams, I did 4 sets of lying leg curls 8-12 reps, slow and controlled, squeeze at top. For calves, 4 sets of leg press calf raises, slow reps, squeeze at top, hold stretch at bottom. This morning they finally didn't hurt enough to do some cardio. They should have been fine yesterday, but could still barely walk right. I'm not a bigshot, and those pounds on squats are probably weak to most, but I hammered them as hard as I could, and got the most out of my sets.

Any other opinions to confirm or refute this mind set of mine are requested. I want you to work smart and hard, not hard and stupid. Quality work in sets is better than just more work, IMO.

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
routine

I definitely agree with your idea of working smart. Sounds pretty solid. I know that everyone is different though. I tried lighter volume in the past and couldn't grow. On the other hand my friends were gaining like crazy. I added more volume and started to see results. 150-210lbs (60lbs) in 3 years while maintaining the 15-16% bf I started out with. I train pretty hardcore...probably one of the more intense people in the gyms I go to. But again, I don't go to gyms were there are bodybuilders everywhere. I'm used to the volume, so I'm not sure what would happen if i stepped it down......(i couldn't get results in the past....maybe I wasn't lifting smart). I'll give your method a try sometime during this cycle....maybe pct. I want to ride this out a little longer and see what happens. I might end up changing things up mid cycle if I run into problems.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
You are right, people are different in how they respond to training. At least you have taken the time to reflect on what worked in the past for you. If you have been doing high volume constantly for a long time, maybe the switch to lower volume will stimulate more growth now. Since you have a few more years of experience, you have learned how to work the muscles better than when you first started. The key to lower volume is you have to work the muscle hard, just like when doing lots of sets and reps. You get the feeling that burns deep, stretches deep into muscle, that tells you you are hammering it. With low volume, you go for the same feelings, you just have to do it with higher weight and lower sets. Alot of times when guys don't grow much on high weight, low volume is because they are moving weight, but not working the intended muscle. Therefore, they don't feel that much in the muscles just in achy joints and places they probably shouldn't be sore.

Whatever you choose, I say ride it out for the 6 weeks. Or do higher volume for first 3, then move into lower volume thru end of cycle and thru PCT if you need it. Most guys lose more after than they should because they stop training and eating like they did on cycle. If it is going to be a few weeks before planning on starting, maybe try out a low volume program for 2-3 weeks to get the feel of it. That way you can figure out a groove before cycle and not waste time figuring things out.

Don't forget diet is crucial here as well, so make sure it is planend out well too. No matter what you do or take, not enough cals = no growth.

I'm glad you are taking time to think things through before just jumping in, so props for that. There is something god tobe said for someone willing to bounce ideas off other people before jumping off the deep end.

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
cycle

Thanks a lot man. I'll update every couple weeks on how the cycle is going. I'm on Day 3 now. I really appreciate all your help and input.