Nagging pec pain

beefjerky

Awards
I've had an issue with my pec for some time now, and I don't know what's wrong. It feels like a sharp pain on some movements and recently has been achy for a while. I'm ok to do incline chest movements with no pain, but Ive stopped doing reg. for fear of continuing damage.

It feels like my pec minor because I have to dig a bit with my finger to find the sore spot. And it doesn't seem to be located where the pec attaches. I've put up a picture showing the location.

Any ideas?

Attachments

mgpugong

Awards
looks like a torn tendon..
do you do heavy bench pressing or heavy flyers?..

beefjerky

Awards
I haven't done bench press itself for like 2 years, but this is an old injury... I thought the tendon tended to rip at the anchor point?

Also, there is no deformity, and just a very specific pain location.

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
it very well could be nerve pain, impingement sometimes causes atrophy and pain but not necessarily to the point where its visible. You may wanna check with a doctor to see if its a nerve issue sometimes some rest is needed

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
You would know if it was a tendon sheesh. Were you doing heavy flyes? Without a proper warm-up? Because I tore up that part of my pec pretty good about 10- years ago in the same place. Rest, hot tub, Advil then something hardcore to rub on. When is feels a little loose do light stretching. If your in serious pain radiating through your chest or a sharp pointing one that takes your breath away,I would go see a GP immediately.

beefjerky

Awards
You would know if it was a tendon sheesh. Were you doing heavy flyes? Without a proper warm-up? Because I tore up that part of my pec pretty good about 10- years ago in the same place. Rest, hot tub, Advil then something hardcore to rub on. When is feels a little loose do light stretching. If your in serious pain radiating through your chest or a sharp pointing one that takes your breath away,I would go see a GP immediately.
I cannot even remember when the pain first started. It was easily 3 years ago. The thing is, I can stretch just fine, no problems. There is also no pain radiating through. Also, I'm very careful about stretching and do it properly every day I go to the gym. I've been digging a permanent marker end into the exact spot. I'm taking a week off to see how I feel and icing it.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
I cannot even remember when the pain first started. It was easily 3 years ago. The thing is, I can stretch just fine, no problems. There is also no pain radiating through. Also, I'm very careful about stretching and do it properly every day I go to the gym. I've been digging a permanent marker end into the exact spot. I'm taking a week off to see how I feel and icing it.
I would change up my exercise routine to avoid the pain for a long while.Try to let it heal then see if there was any improvement.

beefjerky

Awards
I would change up my exercise routine to avoid the pain for a long while.Try to let it heal then see if there was any improvement.
Yeah I definitely did that. I only do pushups now. I think I may have went too low on one and reinjured it. For a while I was doing pretty well and not having pain, which makes me think that maybe it's not torn tendons.

I'm sticking to incline hammer press after this week off is done. They don't hurt my pec. High reps as well. I'm also taking a break from pulldowns/pullups.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I definitely did that. I only do pushups now. I think I may have went too low on one and reinjured it. For a while I was doing pretty well and not having pain, which makes me think that maybe it's not torn tendons.

I'm sticking to incline hammer press after this week off is done. They don't hurt my pec. High reps as well. I'm also taking a break from pulldowns/pullups.
If it wan torn tendons you would know and would have been into a hospital immediately. The scream one of my friends made when doing stiff legged deadlifts and popping a tendon in his leg was infreakinghuman. It could very well be pectoral tendinitis though, it takes along time to recover from that. Advil is your friend.

beefjerky

Awards
If it wan torn tendons you would know and would have been into a hospital immediately. The scream one of my friends made when doing stiff legged deadlifts and popping a tendon in his leg was infreakinghuman.
Somehow, that made me feel better :borladuck:

jay21

jay21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
also something doc rarly! check for and could cause this is torn cartliege next to ur sternum. ))))**()**(((( sternum in center * is the carliege and followed by ribs

jay21

jay21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
cure for this was, 1month of of weights to heal cartliege and aleve (i belive) the blue liquid pills

StuartGould

Awards
also something doc rarly! check for and could cause this is torn cartliege next to ur sternum. ))))**()**(((( sternum in center * is the carliege and followed by ribs
you are thinking of costochondritis or a subluxing costochondral cartilage. Would be tender over the cartilage very near the sternum.

OP: Most likely is an intramuscular tear of the muscle belly. Would explain the location. Can be fairly insidious onset. Takes ages to heal as pec used in so many daily activities.
Treatment is rest, ice/heat and an inflammatory. Ibuprofen gel etc actually works.

Not likely nerve impingement as no major sensory nerve there only motor to the pecs. Offside chance referred pain from cervical nerve impingement (disc) but usually bigger area, no local tenderness and also some sensory change

hope that helps

jay21

jay21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yes def. to the anti inflamantory but my doc gave me aleve not IB but i had similar pain but it is more likely to be a muscle belly tear like u said. i just wanted to point out that he has an option to ask the doc. about the sternum thing since i had same pinchin pain he described and thats what it was

StuartGould

Awards
yes def. to the anti inflamantory but my doc gave me aleve not IB but i had similar pain but it is more likely to be a muscle belly tear like u said. i just wanted to point out that he has an option to ask the doc. about the sternum thing since i had same pinchin pain he described and thats what it was
sure, good thought. Not many of my colleaugues think of it. Could also be inflammation of the tendon origin at it's muscle end (enthisitis) rather than the more usual tendinitis