Not Feeling it

tripwired

Awards
So i'm tired of not feeling it, everyone talks about having a pump or feeling spent after working out. Yesterday i did nothing but chest

175# bench (smith) 8x8x7
40# incline dumbell 10x10x8x7
40# flye and press dumbell 10x10x9x9
body weight dips 8x8x6x5

When i'm done my muscle is weak and i can't really lift anything heavier. Is this just normal? Or should i feel it the next day? When i do lower weight and very high reps i always feel sore and tight the next day, but with heavy weights i just get muscle fatigue but i don't feel like i'm working hard.

btw my one rep max for benching is probably around 210 or so.

How should i change up this work out?
I only have a smith machine, dip bar and various dumbells.

allstar504448

allstar504448

Awards
wide grip bench for 6 sets drop sets
ie i bench ~300 and do 225-205-185-165-145-135
try to put middle fingers on rings if you have rings on your bar and squeeze out as many reps as possible
dumbbell pullovers 4 sets moderate weight 14-12-10-10 use good form keep hips up and abs flexed
dumbbell flies super set with pushups 4 sets
dumbbell press 2x25
work hard dont cheat yourself and arginine always helps if you feel the need to supplement

tripwired

Awards
So I should go down in weight and keep the reps up. This is how I used to do it till I couldn't lift anymore. But I was told that I shouldn't do that. I was told to increase weight but that never seemed to work for me.

Jordinator

Awards
  • Established
Maybe try eating more carbs pre and post workout. Also make sure you're fully hydrated.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So I should go down in weight and keep the reps up. This is how I used to do it till I couldn't lift anymore. But I was told that I shouldn't do that. I was told to increase weight but that never seemed to work for me.
truthfully though, 8-10 reps isn't low rep range. You can do a 2 week series of trying for 5 sets of 5 reps with as much weight as you can manage so that failure on the first set would be at 7 reps, then go back to the low weight higher rep range.

So probably 185 for the bench press, 45s-50s for incline db.

allstar504448

allstar504448

Awards
maybe not do it till you are literally dead but its what i do and as far as chest pump/growth it seems to be working

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
When you do the reps, even higher reps, do you feel the muscle burn at all? You should feel it squeeze and stretch as you do the reps. It should be the same even when you increase weight and lower reps. Let us know how the chest is tomorrow, that will be a good indicator. Maybe even 2 days to be pretty sore. My DOMS really suck on day 2 after workout. Overall, your program looks pretty good for today. Give it some time. Really focus on squeezing your muscles when you do the lifts so you focus all the work where you want to. Don't stress about it yet, you are ok.

tripwired

Awards
I never feel a burn unless i do super high reps, my muscles get fatigued before any burning sets in, unless i take like 25lb dumbbells and do 50 reps with them. I think this is why i like the 100's or german volume training so much, that actually makes me feel it.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
You are conditioned to this workout at this point. . I would prefer to see someone of your level and size doing more of a 2 day upper/ 2 day lower split where you are trying to get stronger in all the big lifts, incline bench ( i don't like flat for tall thin guys) standing military, squat, dead, clean, row, pullup etc. You can do the accessory work, but you need to limit it.

allstar504448

allstar504448

Awards
I never feel a burn unless i do super high reps, my muscles get fatigued before any burning sets in, unless i take like 25lb dumbbells and do 50 reps with them. I think this is why i like the 100's or german volume training so much, that actually makes me feel it.
you don't take any supplements right? other than protein
i take this **** where i dont feel the lactic acid really either

tripwired

Awards
I take:
Novedex xt
Recreate
Sizeon
protein
bcaa's and various other vitamins/aminos

tripwired

Awards
You are conditioned to this workout at this point. . I would prefer to see someone of your level and size doing more of a 2 day upper/ 2 day lower split where you are trying to get stronger in all the big lifts, incline bench ( i don't like flat for tall thin guys) standing military, squat, dead, clean, row, pullup etc. You can do the accessory work, but you need to limit it.
I think you're probably right. I've been playing around with different workouts, so far the GVT/100's seem the most promising. Would you have a link to an example plan for what you are suggesting? (I'm kinda a noob when it comes to workout terminology, like what does split mean exactly)

Seems like you are suggesting that i do more compound lifting instead of isolated exercises.

mytime09

mytime09

Awards
squats always get me pumpin. you do do squats right?

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
post what you typically eat in a day

specifically around workout time, 3 hours before and after.

tripwired

Awards
squats always get me pumpin. you do do squats right?

Not so much, i tore my acl so i'm not very stable on squats unfortunately.

Diet is usually:
8:00 protein shake (myoplex 42g protein, 23g carb, 3g fat)
10:00 oatmeal with cinnamon, splenda, and 1/4cup soy milk
12:00 lunch i usually try to do something decent like salmon and veggies
3:00 protein shake (nectar 46g protein, 0 carb, 0 fat)
3:30 PM workout with Sizeon (0g protein, 31g carb, 0g fat)
5:00 protein shake (nectar 46g protein, 0 carb, 0 fat)
8:00 dinner (usually el pollo loco or chicken wrap)
10:00 bedtime protein shake (nectar 46g protein, 0 carb, 0 fat)

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Not so much, i tore my acl so i'm not very stable on squats unfortunately.

Diet is usually:
8:00 protein shake (myoplex 42g protein, 23g carb, 3g fat)
10:00 oatmeal with cinnamon, splenda, and 1/4cup soy milk
12:00 lunch i usually try to do something decent like salmon and veggies
3:00 protein shake (nectar 46g protein, 0 carb, 0 fat)
3:30 PM workout with Sizeon (0g protein, 31g carb, 0g fat)
5:00 protein shake (nectar 46g protein, 0 carb, 0 fat)
8:00 dinner (usually el pollo loco or chicken wrap)
10:00 bedtime protein shake (nectar 46g protein, 0 carb, 0 fat)
alot of shakes in there..

looks pretty good i quess, i cant do anything without carbs.

Im an oatmeal and brown rice eating fool..........So, i get nice and pumped, but i carry some in the midsection also........

I suggest more real foods and limit shakes to 2 or maybe 3 max.

Try some pump supps like

glycobol, ap, pslin, slin, etc........... you will have to up your carbs though.

bustmetal

Awards
how are u mentally. Do u walk into the gym thinking 'this is going to be hard' or a negative type mindset. Maybe ur saying to yourself ' i didnt feel good about it last time so its going to be the same again'. Is any of this true????

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
some exercises are better for "pumps" than others. for example, the best chest pump for me is cable crossovers. i use them at the end of my workout to really get the blood flowing to them.

tripwired

Awards
how are u mentally. Do u walk into the gym thinking 'this is going to be hard' or a negative type mindset. Maybe ur saying to yourself ' i didnt feel good about it last time so its going to be the same again'. Is any of this true????
Hell no, I sit here at work counting down the minutes until i can get over to the gym. My wife says i'm obsessed, because in another thread someone told me to take some time off from the gym and she said i was in the worst mood.

But i think i figured out part of the not feeling it thing. I think maybe my form was wrong especially on the abs, someone said don't just do the motion contract the muscle you're working to get that motion. That advice seemed to work more now instead of focusing on doing the crunch or curl i focus on just contracting my bicep and letting it move the bar. I guess movements involve a lot of other body parts than just the one you think you're working.

bustmetal

Awards
good man. hope this works for u. keep us posted on how u go

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Hell no, I sit here at work counting down the minutes until i can get over to the gym. My wife says i'm obsessed, because in another thread someone told me to take some time off from the gym and she said i was in the worst mood.

But i think i figured out part of the not feeling it thing. I think maybe my form was wrong especially on the abs, someone said don't just do the motion contract the muscle you're working to get that motion. That advice seemed to work more now instead of focusing on doing the crunch or curl i focus on just contracting my bicep and letting it move the bar. I guess movements involve a lot of other body parts than just the one you think you're working.
You are exactly right on the contractions. Learn how to do that for everything you do. Then start to add weights as u progress. if it gets too heavy were you don't feel that contraction, drop some weight back. Unless you are a competitive powerlifter, squeezing muscles are what you want. You will become more efficient in training and will develop better with lower weight than someone that just slings it around.

GOOD JOB!

tripwired

Awards
Just as an update so i did legs yesterday, GVT style, and focused on the using the particular muscle intended. Today i hurt like i've never hurt before...and i love it!

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Just as an update so i did legs yesterday, GVT style, and focused on the using the particular muscle intended. Today i hurt like i've never hurt before...and i love it!

AWESOME!!! Wait until tomorrow!