What type of shrugs?? - AnabolicMinds.com

What type of shrugs??

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  245 lbs.

What type of shrugs??

I am having a hard time figuring out which shrugs work better for me. I've tried doing shrugs using dumbells, a straight bar and the bar that is oval that you stand in. I am doing heavier weights 3 sets of 12 but havent really seen or felt any results. I was hoping you guys could recommend a good routine for getting my traps bigger. Thank in advance for any and all advice.

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.

deadlifts. heavy. then do shrugs - a little slower than you're doing them now
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  182 lbs.

well just some tips..
    i think the traps need to be trained in different ways just like every other muscle
    for instance there are so many variations to work out biceps but we normally get stuck doing the same thing over and over for our traps
    try throwing in squeezes and holds with lighter weight and hold each rep for 3 sec
    or do your heavy shrugs for 12 reps and then grab lighter d-bells and hold at the top of the shrug for 30 sec
    go heavier and do power shrugs (i might get flammed for this) but use your legs JUST ENOUGH to get you through the sticking point..essentially use them as a self spot
    do down the rack d-bell shrugs starting with something you can only get out 10 with and then drop 10lbs and keep goin until you cant raise your traps (do not do this every time and be careful what other trap exercises you do so you do not overtrain)
    CURRENT 2014 Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/old-school-hormone/252748-cherry-poppin-test.html
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.

Fiber Damage/fiber Saturation Training

This was a good read. I'm gonna try the trap routine mentioned.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by smshannon001 View Post
    well just some tips..
    i think the traps need to be trained in different ways just like every other muscle
    for instance there are so many variations to work out biceps but we normally get stuck doing the same thing over and over for our traps
    try throwing in squeezes and holds with lighter weight and hold each rep for 3 sec
    or do your heavy shrugs for 12 reps and then grab lighter d-bells and hold at the top of the shrug for 30 sec
    go heavier and do power shrugs (i might get flammed for this) but use your legs JUST ENOUGH to get you through the sticking point..essentially use them as a self spot
    do down the rack d-bell shrugs starting with something you can only get out 10 with and then drop 10lbs and keep goin until you cant raise your traps (do not do this every time and be careful what other trap exercises you do so you do not overtrain)

I do the "power shrug" as well when I start to fatigue. I give a tiny press with my legs, but I make sure to hold and squeeze for at least a 1 count, preferrably a 2 count, before I lower the weight. When I can't squeeze and hold, even if I am doing sets of 5-6, I generally end the set. I use that as a good guage on when to end the set, and if I didn't get my goal number of reps, then I drop some weight.

For traps, a good combination of low reps and high reps work well with me. To the OP, I think you could go heavier and do sets of 6 for a few weeks. I usually like to do the same exercises for 4 weeks, so I can see how much weight I can progress to using the same rep scheme. Add 5-10 pounds each set. Then each week, up the starting weight 5-10 pounds over previous week, and follow same progression for that workout. If you do BB and DB shrugs in same workout, alternate which one you start with each week. I usualy like to do last set to 10-12 reps for a little extra burn.

No matter what, make sure you can squeeze them up and hold for at least a second. If not, you are using more than just traps, and they won't get full benefit.
  6. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.

upright rows build traps - shrugs are just a finishing move IMO.

I shrug with dumbbells, chin on chest, lifting from the elbows and hold at max. contraction for 3 count.

I also use a slight bent arm rear fly (like a hybrid bentover row) with dumbells which also works the traps pretty well
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    You recommend deadlifts for everyting.

You love deadlifts.

...so do i

In regards to traps, try some facepulls. It hits the very center of the traps
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  216 lbs.

I do trap work on shoulder day. I start with 4 sets of heavy ( for me) shoulder press
    4x10 reps 80-100lbs dumbbells. Then I move to the shoulder shrugs. I usually do 2 x10 each of front and rear shrugs on the smith machine with 225lbs. Then I grap some dumbbells, 100-120lbs, and do another 3x10. After this I do upright rows and then lateral and rear delt raises. So I guess in other words just do heavy shrugs in the 8-12 rep range. Make sure you are contracting at the top of the movement, it should feel like you are squeezing your traps into the back of your neck.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.

try this
    upright rows 4 sets 1light weight 2heavy 3heavy 4light
    barbell shrugs in front of body 5 sets
    1 light 25 reps
    2 heavy 10 reps
    3 moderate 10 reps hold at top for 3 slow seconds
    4 heavy 10 reps
    5 light 25 reps

did this yesterday and my traps are roasted, which they usually never are
  10. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    +1

with 3 sets of 12 reps for shrugs,.. if you are properly controlling the weight, not bouncing,... you would be feeling it.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. steroid induced type I to type II change
    By 400mhman in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-01-2011, 12:18 PM
  2. Shrugs
    By ChrisDono in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-06-2009, 10:01 PM
  3. shrugs
    By jmoney02 in forum Training Forum