Want to drop about 5% bodyfat in 2months while lifting

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
Ok another cutting while lifting question... just seeking further advice/tips/knowledge if possible

Basically been lifting seriously 5 or so months, started at about 14% bodyfat currently at just over 17%, having put on about 25lbs. I estimate roughly half/half is fat/muscle.

The fat gains came on in the first few weeks I presume from eating too much in all my meals - ie too large portions of chicken etc (never ate a lot of carbs... still dont). so imo i put on the fat due to that over-eating and the fact when I started eating more my body was not used to it and just maybe was 'shocked' and didnt metabolise it all whereas now I eat all the time yet im still usually hungry

basically I want to go back to a comfortable state in a shirt, below 14%... 12% etc, I have 2months worth of holidays coming up where I can start some cardio. I just wana burn the gut as its quite annoying.

I am thinking HIIT cardio 3 maybe 4x a week on my non lifting days for 20mins. Am thinking BCAA pre/post cardio, not sure about whey and the science on what foods to eat and NOT to eat pre/post cardio. Also am wondering in your opinions whats better - running or cycling. Running is easier however I want whatever exercise wont fatigue my legs up to the point where my squat will suffer as I am still lifting but dont want to go backwards in strength. I want it to stay where it is or at least go up a little bit.

I eat pretty clean, not a lot of carbs (am going to switch to brown pastas etc for more LOW GI), could do with more veggies but overall clean, no junk crap etc.

So if anyone here has any advice on how I can burn some of the gut off efficiently without going backwards in muscle mass/strength while also any food advice it would be appreciated

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ok another cutting while lifting question... just seeking further advice/tips/knowledge if possible

Basically been lifting seriously 5 or so months, started at about 14% bodyfat currently at just over 17%, having put on about 25lbs. I estimate roughly half/half is fat/muscle.

The fat gains came on in the first few weeks I presume from eating too much in all my meals - ie too large portions of chicken etc (never ate a lot of carbs... still dont). so imo i put on the fat due to that over-eating and the fact when I started eating more my body was not used to it and just maybe was 'shocked' and didnt metabolise it all whereas now I eat all the time yet im still usually hungry

basically I want to go back to a comfortable state in a shirt, below 14%... 12% etc, I have 2months worth of holidays coming up where I can start some cardio. I just wana burn the gut as its quite annoying.

I am thinking HIIT cardio 3 maybe 4x a week on my non lifting days for 20mins. Am thinking BCAA pre/post cardio, not sure about whey and the science on what foods to eat and NOT to eat pre/post cardio. Also am wondering in your opinions whats better - running or cycling. Running is easier however I want whatever exercise wont fatigue my legs up to the point where my squat will suffer as I am still lifting but dont want to go backwards in strength. I want it to stay where it is or at least go up a little bit.

I eat pretty clean, not a lot of carbs (am going to switch to brown pastas etc for more LOW GI), could do with more veggies but overall clean, no junk crap etc.

So if anyone here has any advice on how I can burn some of the gut off efficiently without going backwards in muscle mass/strength while also any food advice it would be appreciated
You seem to be on the right track. Drink a lot of water (over one gallon a day) and continue eating lots of veggies, healthy fats and protein.

As for the cardio: Cycling and running work out different leg muscles. I would suggest alternating the exercises. Bicycling is going to work out your quads more, which Squating will target as well. As you condition yourself, cardio shouldn't make it more difficult for you to squat.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cardio where you support your weight (e.g. elliptical, running) is the best option. It burns more kcals and provides more variety. Eating slightly below maintenance, roughly 200 kcals or so, is the best way to ensure fat loss with minimal, sometimes zero, muscle loss.

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
I've heard of people losing that much while on this program while maintaining or even gaining muscle. I've ran it twice back when I had a crappy diet and still made great losses.

Worth a look imo:
http://www.mindandmuscle.net/articles/marc_mcdougal/lose_fat?page=0%2C0

(If you like the program be sure to search the forums over at M&M. There are a few old threads from when McDougal first published the article.)

L

Link24

Awards
  • Established