cutting with a broken hand

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys and gals I have a challenge that I am overcoming. I am in the beginning of a summer cut and broke my hand a week and a half ago. My diet is good, I have a week of slim x/lean xtreme under my belt. I have figured out how to press with hammer strength machines, preacher machines and rope pull downs for tris without hurting my hand too much. My back is probably going to get a good rest, which is ok. I have decent amount of mass back there for my size. For chest and shoulders I can't do a ton of weight because of how I put my hand on handle, so I just did 6 sets of 25. It burned like hell! I got fairly sore the next day or two since it was a new stimulus. My main question is would it be too much to do a upper body workout twice a week using the high reps? I will probably be in a cast for 2 more weeks and then something else for 3-5 after that. Then will be restrengthining my hand. I will focus on more cardio, more legs and abs as well.

basically like this:
either mon or Tues am
Chest:
presses: 5-7 sets of 20-30 reps
pec dec: 3-4 sets of 10-20

Bi's: preacher machine-will usually work up to weight for 6-8, then drop set back down total of 10-12 sets. Grip is basically a hammer grip instead of supinated

Tris: Rope pulldowns 3-4 sets of 10-15, increasing weight till about 8 reps, then drop sets back down for 3-4 sets, then maybe 1 arm pulldowns to burn em out

Shoulders: Hammer plate loaded shoulder press 3-5 sets 10-20reps increasing weight each set
hammer side lateral machine: 4 sets 10-15
reverse pec dec for rear delts: 4-5 sets 15-8 reps, increasing weight on each set

would it be too much to do that twice a week with 2 or 3 days rest in between?

I hammer legs on friday so I don't do cardio on weekend usually, maybe easy cardio on sat to get blood flow and stretching but definitely complete rest on sun. Cardio is usually am before work during week and a little after lifting days and longer cardio on non-lifting days.

My goals are to lean out without losing too much mass, currently at 185lbs, about 5'9". Also to increase leg strength since I haven't been consistent working them. Will post pics soon. Goal is to have the most ripped six pack I have ever had this year since I haven't ever seen mine! Gotten close but not far enough.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
that is unfortunately about your hand. i think upper body 2x a week is fine if you can handle it with your hand. Don't push your hand too hard if it is going to cost you more time in a cast or damage your hand for life, you know?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had the same issue a few weeks back, when I broke my wrist and was casted for 6.5 weeks.

See my log: The Female Terminator Chronicles re what I did:
* from post #145 (pages 5-8)- casted
* from post #227 (page 8) - cast off, week before lifting
* from post #237 (page 8) - resistance training again

Personally, I would recommend that you DON'T do any resistance work until your cast is off. This limits you to doing cardio (and legs/abs, if no wrist/hands are involved) for a while. And yes, you lose strength and some mass while not lifting. However, it's better to have that time off and let your injury heal.

Once you're out of the cast, then you can begin weight training again either that week or the next. You will have to experiement and see what you can and can't do. Rehabilitation for your hand will also be important. Once you can train again, it will be pretty much doing what you can, and progressing as the pain decreases/strength returns.

It IS a VERY frustrating process (trust me). But better to let your injury heal, than to risk prolonging the recovery or having issues for the rest of your life.

If you're cutting, then you'll have to watch your DIET, since that will be the determining factor here.

cmp007

Awards
  • Established
Its good you can still workout with our broken hand. I had a boxers fracturer and broke the bone clean in half and with the cast on for 4 weeks couldnt stand to push weight. Even 2 or 3 weeks after it was so weak it still hurt and took me some time to get back in the gym. Good luck with it

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
basically it is a boxer's fracture. Luckily, it's not my knuckles or fingers, it's the 5th metacarpal that goes down to the pinkie. I am able to press on a machine where no gripping is involved since I just have a half cast thing that just covers the outer side of my hand and last two fingers. It's wrapped in an ace bandage so there isn't hard cast accross my entire palm. I haven't pushed the envelope on how much I can press, but so far I haven't had any pain from doing it or anything else generally. I just thought I would spend a couple weeks doing lighter weights and focus on sqeezing and burning the crap out of my muscles.

As far as diet goes, since starting slim x, my diet has been almost perfect which is not normal for me. I don't have a problem eating my meals, but thankfully I don't get the munchies. I'm kind of leary of diet sodas after reading some of the reviews on slim x, so I am almost a week soda free, which is definitely a milestone. My diet is basically scivations's game over diet. I do high carb day at around 2200-2400 cals, 200g carbs, 70-90g fat, 195-220g protein. next day is medium carbs, try to keep it at 90-100 g carbs and 2000 cals. I adjust protein and fat totals accordingly. Then third day is low carbs, 50-60g, and which is basically the 1800 cal diet plan. I have kept pretty strict record of meals since starting slim x. Before I was sticking with 2000 cals and carb days were 2400-2500. I just wasn't making much progress even though I was increasing amount of cardio. The good thing I guess is I have done my upper body workouts in am before breakfast, and have enough gas to do cardio and/or abs after work, so I get benefits of fasted workouts without trying to hammer heavy weights, as well as more time to do cardio.

Thanks for the responses, sorry for being a bit long winded, but I know details are important.

Last edited:

cmp007

Awards
  • Established
basically it is a boxer's fracture. Luckily, it's not my knuckles or fingers, it's the 5th metacarpal that goes down to the pinkie. I am able to press on a machine where no gripping is involved since I just have a half cast thing that just covers the outer side of my hand and last two fingers. It's wrapped in an ace bandage so there isn't hard cast accross my entire palm. I haven't pushed the envelope on how much I can press, but so far I haven't had any pain from doing it or anything else generally. I just thought I would spend a couple weeks doing lighter weights and focus on sqeezing and burning the crap out of my muscles.

As far as diet goes, since starting slim x, my diet has been almost perfect which is not normal for me. I don't have a problem eating my meals, but thankfully I don't get the munchies. I'm kind of leary of diet sodas after reading some of the reviews on slim x, so I am almost a week soda free, which is definitely a milestone. My diet is basically scivations's game over diet. I do high carb day at around 2200-2400 cals, 200g carbs, 70-90g fat, 195-220g protein. next day is medium carbs, try to keep it at 90-100 g carbs and 2000 cals. I adjust protein and fat totals accordingly. Then third day is low carbs, 50-60g, and which is basically the 1800 cal diet plan. I have kept pretty strict record of meals since starting slim x. Before I was sticking with 2000 cals and carb days were 2400-2500. I just wasn't making much progress even though I was increasing amount of cardio. The good thing I guess is I have done my upper body workouts in am before breakfast, and have enough gas to do cardio and/or abs after work, so I get benefits of fasted workouts without trying to hammer heavy weights, as well as more time to do cardio.

Thanks for the responses, sorry for being a bit long winded, but I know details are important.
Good luck with it man. Good you dont have that big of a cast and not really any pain. My cast went down my forearm and up to my top knuckles. My pinky knuckle disappeared. So what did you get mad at and punch? lol

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Got mad at my boss talking to him on phone and punched a steel door. I was sent out of town to work for 2 weeks and tues of second week he calls and said my productivity was down and he was going to shut down my overtime for the week. OT is the only reward for going out of town so I was pretty pissed. It would cost me about $1000 in lost income if I had to ride rest of week on 8 hrs/day. I argued my case but he just kept talking in circles like a kid does to their parent until the parent snaps. The funny part is I am an easy going guy and don't get that riled up very easily. But when you start taking my money I won't just roll over. So as soon as I hit the door, with the boss still on the phone, I knew it was broke and the boss just won anyway. I did get 4 hrs OT in before going to ER. I just told him I smashed it after work so I wouldn't have to deal with any "fraudulant workers comp" issues. So I got a broke hand, it only cost $700 in lost income, and the boss won. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID! I call it my stupidity tax and tell little kids and relatives that I threw a temper tantrum and that it isn't a good idea to throw one. HA HA HA!

Lessons learned the hard way are the ones you remember best.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Let the hand heal as this bone doesn't always fuse properly (I've broken that same bone 3x the past 4 years). Plus, the caste will smell horrible eventually.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
it smells like sweaty feet already. The only relief is I change the bandage with a clean one, and I lay a dryer sheet on the outside before I rewrap with bandage. smells like fresh cotten!
sort of

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anabolics 25
Supplements 30
delsolrob Anabolics 7
Supplements 13
Supplements 1