? for glove wearers

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
ever try Bionic half or full finger weight gloves?

if so, how's the fit?

do they run big, small, or true to size?

my current pair are falling apart, and i'm looking at these but can only find them online, so i can't try them on..

thanks

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
try lifting without gloves... it is liberating.

UKStrength

try lifting without gloves... it is liberating.
True, I love lifting without gloves but I may have to protect them at some point as their in contact with people's skin and calluses aren't exactly friendly to the old dermis :)

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
True, I love lifting without gloves but I may have to protect them at some point as their in contact with people's skin and calluses aren't exactly friendly to the old dermis :)
calluses just show that you know how to get work done.

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
i hear both points, and a main concern is lessening the chances of picking up germs, and yes, i like my hands soft and supple... got a problem with that?? :)

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
i hear both points, and a main concern is lessening the chances of picking up germs, and yes, i like my hands soft and supple... got a problem with that?? :)
wash your hands after your workout then when you get home use some hand lotion to soften them up.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I use gloves 80% of the time. Just for the ladies though, My hands must be smooth lol. Beides I do physical labor, I always wore gloves at my old warehouse job. Even in 100 degree heat, I wore gloves and a pants and long sleeve shirt....why? Because it doesnt bother me, and I prefer it. They cracked a few jokes until they realized I didnt get splinters, or burns, or crap on my hands.....

score for the only guy in the warehouse with an IQ lol.

My lifting gloves, I just love em. It allows me to just get more grr with the weight....they are my placebo pills!

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
gloves make me loose my grip strength on bench

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
If you insist on wearing weightlifting gloves, just make sure they match your purse.

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
thanks guys.

this isn't about grip strength. i'm just a guy that likes to take care of my hands, and i'm a borderline germaphobe, which i know doesn't heed well with the gym environment, but i do what i can...

so i guess nobody's used the Bionic gloves?

hehe

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
I love my gloves, after watching some guy with sweaty palms drop a bench on his chest i won't lift without em.

I use harbring mediums. 19 bucks. Haven't looked back. Could care less what anyone else thinks

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Theres only one type of person that wears gloves thats a-ok and those are college football athletes who lift and wear them.

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
I prefer the caluses on my own hands, I despise gloves. If I find my hands sweating exclusively then it's a general principle that I aquire some chalk.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
I stopped using them a few years ago when a friend (actually the guy who introduced me to this site LONG ago).... referenced some studies that showed less nerve activation from glove wearers than non-glove wearers in exercises like tri extensions and curls. I never tried looking up the studies to call him out or not, but once I worked out for a while w/o gloves, I never put them back on.

Use straps for heavy azz deads.

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
good stuff guys. thanks for all of the input.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
umm wear the gloves i was on the process of getting in this girls pants and i was rubbing her body and she was like ouch ur calusus hurt talk about an awkward moment!

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Gloves are pretty lame but there are exceptions...like freaks for football palyers.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
I don't mind my hands being rough, but my palm sweat so much that the bar slips, so I wear gloves to offset. I suppose I could use chalk, but my gym (24 fitness) does not have chalk... maybel I'll buy a small chalk block and carry it in my gym bag... Academy here I come.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
Im all about the chalk.
Calluses show character

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I use gloves... keep thinking women like a callused ass hand scratching her, inside and out. :D

Adams

purebred

For those whose gyms are like "fitness clubs", look into Liquid Chalk.:)

Callouses are simply an indicator a person isn't gripping the bar correctly (this significantly reduces callous formation).

Here's an article on how to properly grip bars during push and pull lifts:
http://stronglifts.com/how-to-grip-bars-correctly-push-vs-pull-exercises/

In a nutshell:
How to Grip Bars: Push Exercises. Put the bar close to the heel of your hands. Thumbs around the bar to avoid accidents. Squeeze the bar hard to increase power transfer to the bar. This also prevents the bar to move in your hands.

How to Grip Bars: Pull Exercises.
The solution is to put the bar close to your fingers. Grip the bar into the hook of your fingers. This minimizes skin folding, and thus callus formation.

I feel gloves are more counterproductive than anything but everyone believes in what they feel works for them. Personally, I'll never go back to gloves after coming across Liquid Chalk

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
Sorry, semi late in. The bionic gloves (half finger) are pretty comfy, feels sorta like you're not even wearing gloves. They fit nicely and I think they run pretty normal size wise. I haven't used them but I've tried em on whilst at academy.

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've never worn gloves but I'm gonna start. I was doing deads Friday and the bar slipped and I tore a callous off my right hand, apparently all the fish oil i take has my blood thin because I bled all over the bar and i had to halt training while I cleaned it off the bar. It was a hassle not to mention it was quite painful.

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
Ow, that sounds pretty painful. Not using lifting straps?

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ow, that sounds pretty painful. Not using lifting straps?
Nope I've never used straps, rarely ever wore gloves and have never even owned a belt as a result my hands hurt and I have regular back aches. Don't ever let the macho among us convince you that you're less than if you use these things to lift, sometimes common sense has to prevail. In my case unfortunately it rarely has.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
... pardon the ignorance, but are there any weight lifting gloves that are washable? I'm on my second pair of ocelot gloves, they have leather and synthetic material, and stopped using them because they smell terrible - it must be bacteria from all the sweat.

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
... pardon the ignorance, but are there any weight lifting gloves that are washable? I'm on my second pair of ocelot gloves, they have leather and synthetic material, and stopped using them because they smell terrible - it must be bacteria from all the sweat.
Yeah, there are quite a few. You may even be able to wash yours, just don't put them in the dryer.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
IMO the things that would give you calluses are mostly back exercises and straps take care of that anyway.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
paul56778 Training Forum 3
turff49 General Chat 2
Nutrition / Health 46
Ari Gold Product Reviews 0
Ari Gold Product Reviews 0