how to do abs???????

lift or die

Awards
I heard that you should do abs slow while releasing one breath per rep.... I also heard you should so them fast to get them to burn... Also was wondering what is the better for your abs, i know cardio and diet, but i wanted to know if weighted abs were better than regular ab workouts???

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I heard that you should do abs slow while releasing one breath per rep.... I also heard you should so them fast to get them to burn... Also was wondering what is the better for your abs, i know cardio and diet, but i wanted to know if weighted abs were better than regular ab workouts???
When doing abs, you should be CONTRACTING YOUR ABS to do the exercise and not just DOING the exercise movement. Doing it this way is more determined by the contraction. If you're doing things too fast, then you're not really contracting, but doing the movement with not a lot of thought.

DIET is the best thing you can do for UNVEILING your abs.

Resistance exercise is the best thing you can do for BUILDING your abs. Any exercise that stresses the core is goign to help build it up (i.e. squats, deadlifts, powercleans, cleana nd press, etc.)

Cardio is NOT that important for either seeing ab defintion or building muscle there.

Re exercises for abs, it depends on WHAT you want your end result to be (although this will also be determined some by genetics). If you want deeper grooves between your rectus abdominus, then weighted exercises (i.e. weighted cruch, etc.) are the way to go. If you don't want such deep defintion, then unweighted exercises would be better. However, a combination of BOTH types of training will be fine.

As for how often you do abs a week: TWICE is enough, for ~100 reps in TOTAL per time.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
LOL, you can do your abs every day if you wanted to. I personally do them every other day. Your abs is the only muscle in your body besides your calves that can be worked out this much. You abs are fast twitch muscle fibers as opposed to slow twitch. So they grow best from faster movements and higher reps. They will grow best from 15-30 reps where as the rest of your body (slow twitch muscle fibers) grows best from 8-12 reps.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
LOL, you can do your abs every day if you wanted to. I personally do them every other day. Your abs is the only muscle in your body besides your calves that can be worked out this much. You abs are fast twitch muscle fibers as opposed to slow twitch. So they grow best from faster movements and higher reps. They will grow best from 15-30 reps where as the rest of your body (slow twitch muscle fibers) grows best from 8-12 reps.
You got your fast twitch and slow twitch backwards and your abs are not going to grow better from faster movements, it boils down to time under tension in general. Hypertrophy and force production are two completely different aspects muscles and doing one won't necessarily lead to the other.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol, he couldn't tell from the avi?

:surprise:
Many people can't, and I get mistaken for a male a lot here (I can see why, since most of the guys here have some random female as their avi; and because there ARE only 3 females who regularly (not just when they want something) post here).

Delita420

Delita420

Awards
  • Established
It's been proven that the body can adapt to any routine. Find something that works and stick to it. After a few weeks switch to a different routine. Changes in reps, weight, speed, rest between sets, and exercises will allow the abs to continue developing. This can be true for your whole body. Just remember: There is no ONE correct routine.

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
It's been proven that the body can adapt to any routine. Find something that works and stick to it. After a few weeks switch to a different routine. Changes in reps, weight, speed, rest between sets, and exercises will allow the abs to continue developing. This can be true for your whole body. Just remember: There is no ONE correct routine.
true dat

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
It doesn't make sense to treat abdominal s like any other muscle group. After all, they are still a muscle group just like anything else; however, they are hammered pretty hard during the big compounds, especially exercises that surround core mobility like pullups, dips, overhead presses, squats, etc.

Ideally, you should do ab s just like everything else but go slightly easier on them. They are more prone to being worked everyday and can take more frequent stimulus because of this. I like to do 3 sets of 10 with 45 pounds on my stomach, then 2 sets of 15 with a 10 lb weight behind my head on sit ups, followed by 2 sets of 15 with hanging leg raises, planks at the end of the week work pretty effectively for the love handles or (obliques).

It's not likely you'll have noticeable abdominals without having low cut bodyfat, although everyone is different, it's a general rule of thumb that you need 12% bodyfat to see the top layer, 10% bodyfat to see the middle layer and 8% bodyfat to see all six, but of course that's just a myth, everyone is different.