Legs growing well, upper body -not-

  1. New Member
    jeffh3c's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    337
    Rep Power
    255
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    66.76%

    Legs growing well, upper body -not-


    I was hoping that someone might have some insight into the cause of my upper body's failure to grow. I have been following a 5 day split and my legs are split into 2 days with one being mixed with upper body. I have tried other splits and I am really not sure if I am overtraining upper body or what. Lover body has a HEAVY and sweat draining 1 hour 15 min constant workout. The kind where if you dont sit betrween sets you may pass put. Legs keep growing weekly. Arms are growing but they go up and down a bit and tend to be slow gains if any. Arms are also abotu 1:30 min and tend to be about 25-30 total sets with 2 maon groups per session, a 3rd on sime (like calves or hamstrings).

    Any ideas? Thanks for feedback.

  2. Advanced Member
    jcp2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    38
    Posts
    862
    Rep Power
    577
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    16.11%

    If high volume isn't working try low volume only compound movenets, if low volume isn't working try high volume, if that dosn't work add 1000 cals. Basically try something different.
  3. New Member
    Theipodpeople's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    224
    Rep Power
    187
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    84.49%

    I'm in a similar situation. Probably my training though.. I can squat 415 4 reps but my max bench is 245 once

    I think it might have to do with strengthening your core. For example, on squats, you use so many more muscles than just your legs to stabilize that you don't strengthen often, so when they get strong you can use your legs to their full extent, making it easier. Plus more muscles being used means that overall you'll probably move weight up quicker as you grow.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    jeffh3c's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    337
    Rep Power
    255
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    66.76%

    Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    If high volume isn't working try low volume only compound movenets, if low volume isn't working try high volume, if that dosn't work add 1000 cals. Basically try something different.
    I will leave leg w/o alone and try a HIT 45 min program for upper body. Good call. Reps.

    Thanks
  5. Elite Member
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,352
    Rep Power
    3263
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    30.98%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffh3c View Post
    I was hoping that someone might have some insight into the cause of my upper body's failure to grow. I have been following a 5 day split and my legs are split into 2 days with one being mixed with upper body. I have tried other splits and I am really not sure if I am overtraining upper body or what. Lover body has a HEAVY and sweat draining 1 hour 15 min constant workout. The kind where if you dont sit betrween sets you may pass put. Legs keep growing weekly. Arms are growing but they go up and down a bit and tend to be slow gains if any. Arms are also abotu 1:30 min and tend to be about 25-30 total sets with 2 maon groups per session, a 3rd on sime (like calves or hamstrings).

    Any ideas? Thanks for feedback.
    you train your arms for 90 minutes? back the heck off on them. try supersets, dropsets, etc. you can also try rest pausing them - one set (8-12 rep max), 30 second break, redo, 30 second break, redo, done. do one exercise PER muscle head : bi's - two sets, tri's - three sets.

    EDIT : a DC rest pause should be in the rep ranges of 8-12/4-6 after 30 seconds/2-3 after 30 seconds.
  6. New Member
    jeffh3c's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    337
    Rep Power
    255
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    66.76%

    Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    you train your arms for 90 minutes? back the heck off on them. try supersets, dropsets, etc. you can also try rest pausing them - one set (8-12 rep max), 30 second break, redo, 30 second break, redo, done. do one exercise PER muscle head : bi's - two sets, tri's - three sets.

    EDIT : a DC rest pause should be in the rep ranges of 8-12/4-6 after 30 seconds/2-3 after 30 seconds.
    So legs are prob okay (I am growing there).

    Also, with the back and chest, how many exercises do you recomend there under this method? And should I use 2 sets per muscle for those as well. Would combining some of my upper body help me here or defeat the purpose of shorter workouts?

    I realize that everyone is individual on what works for them, but having a starting point is good here. I really appreciate the good advice - reps.
  7. New Member
    jeffh3c's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    337
    Rep Power
    255
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    66.76%

    I have reviewed the DC training at http://dc-training.blogspot.com/ and I wam wondering if anyone has suggestions for me. I have done MAX-OT before and had some success, but this system seems to make sense. The 3 questions I have are:

    -how do I set my warmup reps prior to the one-two work sets for DC (I know how to do NORMAL warmups)

    -I have a schedule where I may have 3-4 days totally off in a row, but may be out of town with marginal gym access at best. As such, the EOD lifting will not work with my schedule, but DC seems to prescribe this. Any ideas of what I might do to be able to still run with this program?

    -DC seems to advocate eating pretty heavy. I am already at a high BF% and dont want to make it worse. What kind of add over maint. should I be looking at, and just training days or every day? He seems to prescribe cardio along with heacy eating, but these seem to contradict one-another (other than the cardiovascular/heart benefits of cardio).
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Workout for upper inside of legs
    By JoHNnyNuTZ in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-17-2010, 08:24 AM
  2. Work Legs for Big Upper Body?
    By Cfour in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-24-2009, 02:48 PM
  3. Legs not growing
    By theROOTS420 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-06-2009, 01:42 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-05-2008, 12:03 AM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-31-2006, 10:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in