non-ghey approach to seeking out a gym partner?

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
mainly for a consistent spotter... i don't know anyone at my gym, and don't really like to ask for a spot several times during a workout..

i do see dudes there at the same time as me several times a week by themselves...

how to break the ice without being creepy or sounding homo is what worries me...

(disclaimer: i am not ghey)

(disclaimer 2: seriously... i'm not)

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
do it the ghey way :) compliment them on their shirt, then ask for a spot.

seriously, find someone in between sets, and ask for a spot.

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
*takes notes*

... compliment on shirt...

... between sets ....

got it! thanks.

thedawg3545

thedawg3545

Awards
do it the ghey way :) compliment them on their shirt, then ask for a spot.

seriously, find someone in between sets, and ask for a spot.

this, just say u need a spot and start convo.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Tell them that you were impressed with their form on (insert lift here.) It's hard to find people who are really taking it serious (aka people that do proper form, proper routines, more than just chest and bis.)

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
I dont think there's anything gey about talking with someone about working out and asking to partner up..... start up a conversation and tell them your workout schedule match well, how about we partner up for a workout?

look at this way, the worst thing they can say is NO.

let us know how it goes!

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have you tried Craigslist...casual encounters?

/seriously, be proud of who you are.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I often ask for a spot on the bench; ending up doing a whole pyramid with a bigger guy yesterday and sure he had to help me with the weights a bit when it got really heavy, but it really gave me an awesome burn today. I think most guys are pretty cool with giving a spot; finding a training partner takes a bit more. like DF said, you need to compare schedules but if they're there often when you work out and you see them consistently, perhaps try talking to them and seeing if they're interested.

Mick81

Mick81

Awards
Best way i found was to offer a spot first, then most people will offer to spot you back :thumbsup:

Maybe don't start with donkey calf raises tho........

Bruce9241

Awards
A friend told me the locker room is the best place to find a good spotter. Just look for the guy drying his balls with the hair dryer.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
Have you tried Craigslist...casual encounters?

/seriously, be proud of who you are.
I've tried that many times, but those chicks aren't for real!

Best way i found was to offer a spot first, then most people will offer to spot you back :thumbsup:

Maybe don't start with donkey calf raises tho........
but if you do want to take that route like others have check out this thread
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/124380-how-go-about.html

A friend told me the locker room is the best place to find a good spotter. Just look for the guy drying his balls with the hair dryer.
just curious how did that workout for you?

manny1010

Awards
  • Established
Just ask bro. Go to the one you see there more often and ask "hey man, can you spot me" They might be in the same boat and in need of a spotter too.

biggerthantex

biggerthantex

Awards
just ask them bro... because if they are working out the same time as you and they never have a spot.. then they are in the same boat as you... and nothing gay bout talkin to another guy in the gym.. u are reading more into what is actually there.. if they give you a hard time then they are someone you dont wanna work out with anyways.. but i hardly ever find those a-holes

JOHNJESSICA20

JOHNJESSICA20

Advanced Muscle Science Rep
Awards
  • Established
Yeah if there working out at same time as u im sure they would def. like the idea of a partner..I know i wish i had one sum times but at my gym its hard to find people as serious about it as i am. Goodluck buddy

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
thanks guys, yeah the straight up approach seems to be best...

it must be something from my childhood that i've supressed thats giving me this doubtful feeling.

doh.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
ask a guy to get on ur back to do donkey calf raises lol

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Dude, the other day I had a guy come up to me and ask if I wanted a spot. First ever.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dude, the other day I had a guy come up to me and ask if I wanted a spot. First ever.
So are you planning on a second date...errr, spot?

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I always find it sexy to watch two guys spotting each other for squats!

But seriously, just ask! Its better than being the guy screaming help as he crushes his chest while attempting a bench press to heavy!

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I always find it sexy to watch two guys spotting each other for squats!

But seriously, just ask! Its better than being the guy screaming help as he crushes his chest while attempting a bench press to heavy!
Or the guy we watched break his lower legs at the powerlifting meet?

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Offer to rub some ointment on his inner thighs between sets.

WhatsaRoid?

WhatsaRoid?

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Honestly I just go to the gym and lift my reg stuff and (wait this does sound homo) guys walk up and ask me for tips are just compliment my lifts. Often times you notice the same people in the gym and its not hard to say hello and work a few sets in with them and start a friendship...If if you try CL you will only find gay or bi guys, I've tried finding a partner once after a long time out the gym and I gave up fast on that.

Try going to the gym and find someone stronger then you or whatever and workout harder then them or longer then them if doing cardio. I use this method when not having a partner and needing motivation. When using this method use smith machine or you might get hurt. If you really need a spotter that bad just ask someone on the machine, I've even stopped what I was doing to spot random people.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This is how you do it...

you walk up to the guy and say.."Hey Ive been watching you while you work out. I like your package and what you have. Help me with my g spot."

After he spots you, ask him to go over to your place so you can trade recipes and take him out to dinner and a movie.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is how you do it...

you walk up to the guy and say.."Hey Ive been watching you while you work out. I like your package and what you have. Help me with my g spot."

After he spots you, ask him to go over to your place so you can trade recipes and take him out to dinner and a movie.
No Sissy Squats?

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
This is how you do it...

Sounds like you have done this once or twice!

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
It's usually about as simple as saying, "Hey man, can I get a spot?"

Don't bother them until they're between sets. Most people will say yes. How you got the idea of this being ghey, I have no idea...