Forearm pump hindering workouts?

MPFit

MPFit

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone else have the problem when they workout heavy their forearms are getting pumped to the point of pain and force them to cut a set short?

I have tried a few things like switching my grips, even using straps for things like Pull Ups but I still have problems with the pump..

It's mainly when I do back workouts- Lat Pulldowns and Pullups especially..
After I do like 30-35 Pullups my forearms burn (My first set usually ends with about 40-45)but then for the next set my reps lower literally by half.. (I take short breaks in between)..

Am I alone? If not did anyone find a good way to fix the problem?
I assume my forearms are lacking and have recently switched to isolating them on my shoulder day- hoping this will help but so far no dice.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Happens to me. Use straps. Do heavy load stuff first and small stuff after. Focus on letting the strap take some weight. With pullups do not grip the bar but let yourself hang from a half open fist.

mattikus

mattikus

Awards
  • Established
Never really bothers me unless I do strict forearm exercises, but I ealways do those at the end of my workout so not a problem. But, quite often I am in the shower later, washing my hair, and bam, forearm get so pumped it becomes a pain in the ass everytime I lift my arms up.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
I actually quite using my straps for a while, and used them only for deads, to increase forearm strength. That, combined with strict reverse curls and hammers, I now no longer get the "cramps" anymore. Maybe beefing your forearms up BIG time will fix the problem .

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Happens to me. Use straps. Do heavy load stuff first and small stuff after. Focus on letting the strap take some weight. With pullups do not grip the bar but let yourself hang from a half open fist.
this is good advice, i hang almost on my fingertips, works well.

Liquid13

Liquid13

Awards
  • Established
40-45 pullups? Well ****... I bow down to greatness. This might be why your forearms are burning; your back and biceps should be dying as well.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone else have the problem when they workout heavy their forearms are getting pumped to the point of pain and force them to cut a set short?.
Unless your directly working forearms there's no real reason for them to be that stimulated. Try using your hands just as hooks, like rugger said you dont really want to squeeze the bar. Just hook your fingers over the bar, and concentrate on isolating the muscle your trying to work.

Honestly lat pulldowns are the easiest for me to do these on. I hold the bar even with my knuckles, and my fingers just curl over the top. Not the traditional, fingertip into palm method (like a fist).

MPFit

MPFit

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the responses guys, I'll give the half grip a try next workout.

Yeah my back and bi's DO burn after my first set.. but it's the pain in my forearms which stops me from even coming CLOSE to another 40 pullups.. I usually get around 20-25 for my second and third sets of pullups.. which, to me at least, feels demoralizing.

I'll add some more forearm isolation at the end of two or three of my workouts per week.. Thanks guys

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
my forearms feel like shin splints when i do back or bi exercises. i usually just ignore it as much as possible, but i definitely feel your pain

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Consider yourself lucky. I only get a forearm pump with db curls full rom.. Otherwise I pray to get some kind of forearm feeling

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920

jspolinard

jspolinard

Awards
I have been dieing,, the last few weeks my fore arms have been killing me, had to stop my workout 30 min into it cause everytime i let go of the weight it felt like someone was running over my arms with a truck.. WTF.