Back Pump

donnywarchild

Awards
I have a lagging back.... very laxed in the lats.... and i never really feel the sort of pumped feeling in my back like the blood filled throbbing feeling that i get from doing chest or legs. what can i do to get back pump?

I currently do:

back week one

wide gripped pull ups
t bar row
wide gripped pull down
close gripped pull down

back week two

close gripped pull ups
straight leg dead lift
wide gripped pull ups
t bar row

my back doesnt look pathetic, but its not up to par with my chest. I'd love to hear some suggestions on how to improve on it. Maybe some tips on how to focus and seperate the lats while lifting? Again i feel like even i am doing the right excersizes, the work is not being performed by the lats..... Thanks for anyone who would like to help :)

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
You probably use a combination of too much momentum, too much bicep and poor form. I had the same problem until I slowed down considerably, then my back blew up.

donnywarchild

Awards
You probably use a combination of too much momentum, too much bicep and poor form. I had the same problem until I slowed down considerably, then my back blew up.
elaborate please!!!! i feel that i potentially have poor form because i do feel my shoulders and bis and tri's pulling weight. but i take care to not use too much weight and do a 2,3 ratio... that is pretty slow. any pointers are welcome

Gator 87

Awards
  • Established
Use lifting straps. They are the key to isolating your back instead of tiring out your biceps and forearms.

wbted23

wbted23

Awards
I wouldnt put too much emphasis on that pump feeling. My back is dramatically larger then my chest, and i still feel the pump much more in the chest. I think its just a circulation thing, and from the type of movements. Just because your back doesnt feel that pump doesnt necessarily mean you arnt getting a good workout in.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
you should look in to Taurine it helps with back pumps, dose 5gms pre and post workout, you can buy it bulk from NP, its very inexpensive and one of my staple supps!

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
you should look in to Taurine it helps with back pumps, dose 5gms pre and post workout, you can buy it bulk from NP, its very inexpensive and one of my staple supps!
Did you read the original post?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
no regular deadlifts? the SLDL variety don't really target the back.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Good advice!

It's very easy to throw on too much weight when you're doing exercises like heavy rows because it's too easy to use other muscles to do the work. Now you should still strive for heavy weight, but not at the expense of form. So in other words, use as much weight as you can handle with good form. A little bit of swaying is okay if it's on your really heavy sets but it should be kept to a minimum.

Generally back exercises can be divided into two categories: pulling motions and rowing motions. After exercises that work the back through a pulling motion, such as pullups and pulldowns, give the lats a good stretch. Grab hold of something stationary and pull so that you feel the lats stretching all the way down to your waist (I generally stretch each side for about 5-10 seconds). After rowing exercises, try and flex your lats for a little bit. If you have a hard time flexing your lats it's likely that you either don't know how to properly flex them, which is where practice comes in. This combination of stretching and flexing allows you to become more in tune with controlling your muscles, which comes in handy when you're trying to target them during exercise. If you can control your muscles well, it's easier to target them with exercise because you can "feel" what they're doing. Also, stretch a lot after your back workouts.

You need a good combination of pulling and rowing movements to form a well rounded back program. It appears, to me anyway, that you're back routines are comprised mostly of pulling exercises. Here is an example of a routine that works the back through various angles:

Pullups x 5 sets to failure (stretch lats after each set)
Bent Barbell Rows 4 x 10-12, 8, 8, 6
Cable Rows 2-3 x 8-10
Close-grip Pulldowns 2-3 x 8-10
Deadlifts 3 x 10, 6-8, 4-6

You can vary the number of sets and the rep ranges depending on what works best for you. Do this workout, or something with similar balance, with heavy weight and good form and I'll be surprised if you don't have a good back pump going by the end.

Also, practice flexing your back muscles in your spare time at home. Do poses, or whatever, until you're easily able to control the muscles. This will help you once you're hitting the weights. Good luck, brotha.

donnywarchild

Awards
Good advice!

It's very easy to throw on too much weight when you're doing exercises like heavy rows because it's too easy to use other muscles to do the work. Now you should still strive for heavy weight, but not at the expense of form. So in other words, use as much weight as you can handle with good form. A little bit of swaying is okay if it's on your really heavy sets but it should be kept to a minimum.

Generally back exercises can be divided into two categories: pulling motions and rowing motions. After exercises that work the back through a pulling motion, such as pullups and pulldowns, give the lats a good stretch. Grab hold of something stationary and pull so that you feel the lats stretching all the way down to your waist (I generally stretch each side for about 5-10 seconds). After rowing exercises, try and flex your lats for a little bit. If you have a hard time flexing your lats it's likely that you either don't know how to properly flex them, which is where practice comes in. This combination of stretching and flexing allows you to become more in tune with controlling your muscles, which comes in handy when you're trying to target them during exercise. If you can control your muscles well, it's easier to target them with exercise because you can "feel" what they're doing. Also, stretch a lot after your back workouts.

You need a good combination of pulling and rowing movements to form a well rounded back program. It appears, to me anyway, that you're back routines are comprised mostly of pulling exercises. Here is an example of a routine that works the back through various angles:

Pullups x 5 sets to failure (stretch lats after each set)
Bent Barbell Rows 4 x 10-12, 8, 8, 6
Cable Rows 2-3 x 8-10
Close-grip Pulldowns 2-3 x 8-10
Deadlifts 3 x 10, 6-8, 4-6

You can vary the number of sets and the rep ranges depending on what works best for you. Do this workout, or something with similar balance, with heavy weight and good form and I'll be surprised if you don't have a good back pump going by the end.

Also, practice flexing your back muscles in your spare time at home. Do poses, or whatever, until you're easily able to control the muscles. This will help you once you're hitting the weights. Good luck, brotha.
hmmmmmm... goodies, thanks

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Romanian deadlifts

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920