Separated shoulder

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
Had a skiing accident last saturday, went to doctor today, had x-ray done. Results should be in a few days, but doc told me I got separated shoulder. I can't really afford Physical Therapy, since my insurance sucks.
What do I do next? Thanks.

P.S. I should mention one more thing. I already been going to the doc for pinched nerve and tendinitis in the same shoulder. :rant:

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
Anyone had separated shoulder before? What kind of exercises did you do? Special care, etc.?

mgpugong

Awards
i've been..
i'm a hard headed guy..just a month after that injury i had it again..so from my experience..you had to rest it for a months or 2..when you got shoulder injury you had damaged muscle tissues and ligaments..ligaments are irreplaceable..as you got injured you had lessen its efficiency..

i've been through therapy and what was strictly told to me to do is just lateral/side raises and no overhead, no rotating cuff and shoulder shouldn't be forced to the back..i've been assisted cause i was shaking..also my warm up that time was doing pedal with my hands(i didn't know what was that)..just take it light and easy ALWAYS..

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Have you gotten your results back, yet? The type of care really depends upon the grade of separation.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
It's type II separation. Didn't break anything. I'll be 2 weeks this Saturday and I'm doing great. Better then I could ever imagine. My doc cleared me for work two days ago. I have somewhat physical job and so far so good, but I'm being very careful.
3-4 g of Super Cissus a day, healing meditations, ice packs, ibuprofen, etc. made such a huge difference. I was told I'm out for 4 weeks, so I'm really happy of going back to work, got bills to pay, you know. But I'm not gonna lift weights for few weeks just to be safe.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
i've been through therapy and what was strictly told to me to do is just lateral/side raises and no overhead, no rotating cuff and shoulder shouldn't be forced to the back..i've been assisted cause i was shaking..also my warm up that time was doing pedal with my hands(i didn't know what was that)..just take it light and easy ALWAYS..
So what kinds of exercises do you do now for your shoulder? No more military press then? Also what kinds of exercises I need to avoid? Thanks.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
So what kinds of exercises do you do now for your shoulder? No more military press then? Also what kinds of exercises I need to avoid? Thanks.
Anything that puts the shoulder in a vulnerable position. The main things to avoid until you're at full health would anything behind the neck, flat BP (incline may be ok, depends upon your anatomy), upright rows, and military press. You want to have your shoulder to have the ability to move while training, so DBs would be the best bet.

To really strengthen it up, start from scratch and work on rotator-cuff exercises, work on trapezius strength, and also really work on posterior delt strength.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
Thanks, Rodga for the info. I got your PM, mgpugong, thanks a lot for the links.