obliques

wbted23

wbted23

Awards
ok so i've been tweaking my ab routine for months, and I love the program I have for my upper and lower abs, but Ive yet to find any obliques excercises that I really like, and feel like there really doing there job.

I pretty much have a six pack already, but im looking for that framing effect that only oblique excercises can produce...

so what are some of your favorite oblique exercises?

What have you had success with, and which ones have you found to be unaffective?

pfafkl13

Awards
I'm interested in this as well. I hate most oblique exercises

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Side planks

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I just add twisting movements to my ab workout. I'll work the obliques a little when I'm doing my crunches, and then sometimes I do side twists. My goal is to keep my obliques as tight as possible, rather than have them grow. I have wide shoulders so I want the smallest waistline I can get. A lot of the big bodybuilders can't even hardly suck their stomach in because their abdomen is bulging so much. F that S.

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
Side planks

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920
Love the side plank. Don't forget that your lower back needs attention when sculpting your abs. Weighted "side bends" have my low back and obliques sore the next two days. Also, a declined crunch with a quick shoulder rotation at the top will really get your sides.

Also, try taking a cable and like a wood-chopper motion take it from one side to the other (straight arms in front of you, and focus on the movement of your shoulders facing one side and then the other, nice and controlled). Gives you a nice rotation in your abs in a standing position.

Key with obliques is making sure you are getting really good rotation in the shoulders so that your obliques are getting the full range of motion.

wbted23

wbted23

Awards
thanks for your suggesttions, i'll be sure to try some of these out. Yea iv used several of these before, I'v mainly just not liked the lack of any good weighted/resistence obliques excersices...i will be sure to try the woodcutters and some of these other techniques tho

thanks again

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
Twisting movements are horrible for your lower back. Side planks, Side plank cable rows, V Sit Ups, and Kneeling Reverse Cable Chops all work your entire abdominal area well.

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
Twisting movements are horrible for your lower back. Side planks, Side plank cable rows, V Sit Ups, and Kneeling Reverse Cable Chops all work your entire abdominal area well.
I don't know if you were referring to my post, so I just wanted to clear up what I was saying. Work your obliques with twisting motions, but don't forget the low back to get an all around solid core with planks, etc.

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
I don't know if you were referring to my post, so I just wanted to clear up what I was saying. Work your obliques with twisting motions, but don't forget the low back to get an all around solid core with planks, etc.
Sorry, I wasn't really referring to anyone specifically lol. To many people try and put all the motion from the twisting motion on their lower back with is extremely dangerous, not to mention counterproductive. If you are going to do something that has a twisting motion make sure the motion is coming from your shoulders and thoracic (upper back) and not the low back.

WhatsaRoid?

WhatsaRoid?

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Sorry, I wasn't really referring to anyone specifically lol. To many people try and put all the motion from the twisting motion on their lower back with is extremely dangerous, not to mention counterproductive. If you are going to do something that has a twisting motion make sure the motion is coming from your shoulders and thoracic (upper back) and not the low back.
Great advice here

Broodstar

Broodstar

Awards
  • Established
Perhaps side bends with a plate or dumbell. Side planks are great too. I agree with too much motion putting stress on the back though.You can also try side bends on the cables as well. Hope that helps good luck.

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
i like and side bends and side planks, decline crunches with a weight and twist at the top

Broodstar

Broodstar

Awards
  • Established
if done correctly side bends with the plates or dumbells are killers and you will deffinitley feel it the next day ^_^

TURUGBY

Awards
  • Established
Russian twists w/ a weight are an obliques godsend

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Standing DB side bends will blow your obliques apart, and bring in those deep horizontal lines right below the waistline every guy wants.

Liftergym33

Liftergym33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll use a 45lb plate in one hand and go for send bends, i do about 4 sets of 10-15 rep range, really feel it ..