Intense BB Shrugs

elementrip

elementrip

Awards
  • Established
I'm wondering just how heavy im lifting comparitively. I've been training for years so it's not like it just jumped on this weight but i've yet to see anyone shrugging like i do in my gym.
315x12
405x10
495x8
595x6

*Not looking for an ego boost, cut it down if it seems like it should be.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I usually stop the weight around 315, as i see no real results from going higher. I was always told that the trap is a small muscle, and doesnt need that much attention weight wise. My father competed and gave me that advice, take it for what it is worth.

fieldt76

Awards
Same here, i usually stay at 315 but its because thats about as heavy as I can go. I've seen a dude in my gym shruging the kind of weight you're talking about and it looks pretty badass... and his traps are huge.

elementrip

elementrip

Awards
  • Established
I usually stop the weight around 315, as i see no real results from going higher. I was always told that the trap is a small muscle, and doesnt need that much attention weight wise. My father competed and gave me that advice, take it for what it is worth.
I've heard this advice as well. Also on the other end of the spectrum as well though. My grip has gotten dramatically stronger, and i do feel the stress load and feeding it has produced gains. But i do appreciate the personal advice and reference man!

elementrip

elementrip

Awards
  • Established
Same here, i usually stay at 315 but its because thats about as heavy as I can go. I've seen a dude in my gym shruging the kind of weight you're talking about and it looks pretty badass... and his traps are huge.
Speaking in the sense of symetry i dont look wierd necessarily but my traps are quite large in respect to a few other muscle. Thats something i see becoming a problem in the future i think with this weight

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
i always go by the way i learned in football every workout make sure u got form down and push the weights heavy as u can..i rather get 4-6 perfect reps and maybe 2 ok form 1 bad... then do like a low weight for 15 perfect reps... im not saying i use terrible form but if form slips and i can use extra weight i wont mind..

if that made any sense? lol

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I've heard this advice as well. Also on the other end of the spectrum as well though. My grip has gotten dramatically stronger, and i do feel the stress load and feeding it has produced gains. But i do appreciate the personal advice and reference man!
Anytime man. I have also heard the other end as well. when it comes to training, works for one, but not always the other you know?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i always go by the way i learned in football every workout make sure u got form down and push the weights heavy as u can..i rather get 4-6 perfect reps and maybe 2 ok form 1 bad... then do like a low weight for 15 perfect reps... im not saying i use terrible form but if form slips and i can use extra weight i wont mind..

if that made any sense? lol
It definitely makes sense. You are saying your privilege activating the muscle, rather than targeting form in particular; I think, at times, some people have an opposite philosophy and it costs them gains.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
It definitely makes sense. You are saying your privilege activating the muscle, rather than targeting form in particular; I think, at times, some people have an opposite philosophy and it costs them gains.
i agree. i at times will sacrifice form on curls for same effect, on last couple reps, then go lower, perfect form.

OzzY SluGGa

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I agree with you Brownstown. You get better and beter at knowing it as the years go by. I often sacrifice form man, but i been training a long time and by now i have a real feel for If Im hitting what Im trying to hit. Its really instinctive, you just kinda know how much you can/cant chat, and on what excersises. But any begginers reading this.....Stick with your good form for a couple of years.
PS thats massive weight Element :D Im bout 400-450 pound shrugger.

elementrip

elementrip

Awards
  • Established
To mullet- I agree, i see it daily. Guys that could push it and should but are so obsessed with every set looking picture perfect that they cant imagine sacrificing that form.

To Brown- Thats my same philosophy. I hold the form well on my first and sometimes second set to get my stretch well established, but by the end im struggling to get full reps regardless so why not push it? And in your advice to newcomers reading all this, form is king in the begining. Eventually you find your adaptation that works for you individually and it is different for everyone, but do not rush finding yours it comes with time...

Ded- I agree i found which works for me and i'm keeping it up till it no longer works then its time to rethink my setup and come up with something else that works too.

Ozzy- Thanks man! Veins that no one knows existed pop out and my face gets so red. It's pretty awesome, gotta love the game face shrugs bring out!

MPFit

MPFit

Awards
  • Established

I wouldn't consider it a "small" muscle imho.. I would imagine heavy weights to be beneficial for targetting all it's access points.
But coming from someone who competed, I'd tend to take their advice also ;D
Heavy back movements should be adequate for enlargement of the traps, but deads and shrugs will help target it more..
Your weights are really high compared to mine (I'm a little more around dedlifter at 275, then 300 for 2 sets)

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
I find anything over 405, I use my lower body and calves to "jump" the weight up too much. I used to do up to 495, but just wasn't feeling it as much. So i lowered the weight, hit the contractions better,.. and leave the heavier weight for deadlifts.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established

I wouldn't consider it a "small" muscle imho.. I would imagine heavy weights to be beneficial for targetting all it's access points.
But coming from someone who competed, I'd tend to take their advice also ;D
Heavy back movements should be adequate for enlargement of the traps, but deads and shrugs will help target it more..
Your weights are really high compared to mine (I'm a little more around dedlifter at 275, then 300 for 2 sets)
Yeah, not small, but my point was only that i believe that development can be accomplished with lighter weight just as easy.
I find anything over 405, I use my lower body and calves to "jump" the weight up too much. I used to do up to 495, but just wasn't feeling it as much. So i lowered the weight, hit the contractions better,.. and leave the heavier weight for deadlifts.
This is my experience. I mean hey, if you CAN shrug 500lbs, more power to you, I just meant, i dont think you NEED to. My traps didnt really benefit when i went over 315, but that doesnt mean yours wont. I reserve it for heavy deads as well, i will pull 505, then i feel like im getting somewhere!:dl:

OzzY SluGGa

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, not small, but my point was only that i believe that development can be accomplished with lighter weight just as easy.

This is my experience. I mean hey, if you CAN shrug 500lbs, more power to you, I just meant, i dont think you NEED to. My traps didnt really benefit when i went over 315, but that doesnt mean yours wont. I reserve it for heavy deads as well, i will pull 505, then i feel like im getting somewhere!:dl:
The man loves his deads! :D

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
You realise then,:laugh: you are a sick individual that enjoys extreme pain?
My daughter says the EXACT same thing. We were at gym yesterday, im training her for track, i was doin widowmakers and weighted chins, she is like jesus pops you got serious issues.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree, 405-455 is about all I will go to, and really burn the hell out ofit. My feeling is at that point its decent weight, and I can always alter hand position, behind the back etc...

OzzY SluGGa

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It seems like the more you hate an excersise, the better it usually is you know? lol.
So true, i wish there was an excercise for chest that was as effective as squats are for legs, or deads are for backs. Bring on the heavy compound. Fancy machines are for pussy's!

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
yay u guys understood what i meant and agreed with ha... but yea im always pushing more wieght looking to add 2.5 more pounds or 5 more pounds.. i mean i bonce the last couple prolly more then needed at the end of my routine but hey my first 5-6 reps are good form i gotta push it baby

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
do deads immediately followed by shrugs....mmm mmmmmmm!

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
So true, i wish there was an excercise for chest that was as effective as squats are for legs, or deads are for backs. Bring on the heavy compound. Fancy machines are for pussy's!
Heavy compounds=massive gains. Nothing hard about that equation. And yes, fancy pants machines are for slackers.

elementrip

elementrip

Awards
  • Established
I agree very much so with every one of you on deads being an absolute must! Which is why i transplanted my shrugs to delt day to give myself an advantage. I love deads anyday i dont end with bloody shins, only downside to me! haha
I love killing my calfs by going balls to the wall with the big weight too...

Any of you guys have any suggestions for grip enhancement? When i do behind the back shrugs i can get going very heavy because my grip fails and the weight just rolls right out

OzzY SluGGa

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I agree very much so with every one of you on deads being an absolute must! Which is why i transplanted my shrugs to delt day to give myself an advantage. I love deads anyday i dont end with bloody shins, only downside to me! haha
I love killing my calfs by going balls to the wall with the big weight too...

Any of you guys have any suggestions for grip enhancement? When i do behind the back shrugs i can get going very heavy because my grip fails and the weight just rolls right out
I cant even do behind the backers cause my ass gets in the way! Crank the straps out man if grip is a problem. Id rather have massive muscles than a good grip. Aint no strong grip ever impress anyone. Use what ya gotta to move maximum weight.

PS I always run out of breath doing deads which is VERY annoying, I cant get the breathing right.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I cant even do behind the backers cause my ass gets in the way! Crank the straps out man if grip is a problem. Id rather have massive muscles than a good grip. Aint no strong grip ever impress anyone. Use what ya gotta to move maximum weight.

PS I always run out of breath doing deads which is VERY annoying, I cant get the breathing right.
do you grunt when you lift, or yell at all.

OzzY SluGGa

Banned
Awards
  • Established
do you grunt when you lift, or yell at all.
I grunt/groan between clenched teeth. and my fukin head goes purple. lol. I am aware of the importance of good breathing teqniques, but i just cant concentrate on them with deads. So I end up gassed (sometimes so gassed i think Im gonna pass out) before my back is smashed.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I grunt/groan between clenched teeth. and my fukin head goes purple. lol. I am aware of the importance of good breathing teqniques, but i just cant concentrate on them with deads. So I end up gassed (sometimes so gassed i think Im gonna pass out) before my back is smashed.
Try doin em like i do. Pull a rep, pause, pull a rep pause. this works really well with heavier weight. catch your breath.

OzzY SluGGa

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Try doin em like i do. Pull a rep, pause, pull a rep pause. this works really well with heavier weight. catch your breath.
Yeah i might go with that. my gym is an extreme soft cok gym, you get banned for dropping weights etc. *shakes head* they have no idea....

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Yeah i might go with that. my gym is an extreme soft cok gym, you get banned for dropping weights etc. *shakes head* they have no idea....
No sh!t! Mine too! I got my membership revoked like 4 monthes ago, I almost got into a brawl with the owner, now i can only deadlift when he isnt there. I will pm you the story later, it gets really heated, withsome foul language.

OzzY SluGGa

Banned
Awards
  • Established
No sh!t! Mine too! I got my membership revoked like 4 monthes ago, I almost got into a brawl with the owner, now i can only deadlift when he isnt there. I will pm you the story later, it gets really heated, withsome foul language.
LOL, Please man, please dont even get me started!

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
The owner of my gym feathers his hair and wears powder blue jump suits. Take it from there.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
I also felt weird because I was shrugging a lot of weight for my size 500x8 @ 170lbs.

I started looking into books about traps and I found Kelso's Shurg Book by Paul Kelso. It shows you variations of shrugs that will help to develop the middle and lower parts of your traps. I must say it really helped revamp my training and the first time I did Bent BB Shrugs supersetted with Bent BB Rows the 2-3 days my back felt amazing because it was sore in so many different places it was great!

I've since devoted most of my training of my traps to these parts instead of my upper traps. I can't shrug nearly as much as I used to but overall I feel I have a more balanced development.

Word of Caution

Don't try to do heavy BB Shrugs if you've done any kind of kelso shrugs the previous couple of days. I accidentally pulled a back muscle when I decided to do heavy shrugs while waiting for the preacher curl. It took a VERY long time to heal (months).

Also, now when I do do BB Shrugs I use the rest pause method either a 1 count or 2 count at the top.

OzzY SluGGa

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I also felt weird because I was shrugging a lot of weight for my size 500x8 @ 170lbs.

I started looking into books about traps and I found Kelso's Shurg Book by Paul Kelso. It shows you variations of shrugs that will help to develop the middle and lower parts of your traps. I must say it really helped revamp my training and the first time I did Bent BB Shrugs supersetted with Bent BB Rows the 2-3 days my back felt amazing because it was sore in so many different places it was great!

I've since devoted most of my training of my traps to these parts instead of my upper traps. I can't shrug nearly as much as I used to but overall I feel I have a more balanced development.

Word of Caution

Don't try to do heavy BB Shrugs if you've done any kind of kelso shrugs the previous couple of days. I accidentally pulled a back muscle when I decided to do heavy shrugs while waiting for the preacher curl. It took a VERY long time to heal (months).

Also, now when I do do BB Shrugs I use the rest pause method either a 1 count or 2 count at the top.
There's a whole book on shrugging? damn, I'd like to see that. I lack them nice lumps at the top of my back that really fill your shirts out. that'd be an interesting read.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
There's a whole book on shrugging? damn, I'd like to see that. I lack them nice lumps at the top of my back that really fill your shirts out. that'd be an interesting read.
The book itself is actually geared towards developing the middle and lower trap regions which are only seen on your back.

For instance since I started using these types of shrugs when I flex my back the top part of my back comes together and creates a huge crease and I can actually see the entire trapezius muscle down to my mid back.

I'm not much for bodybuilding but it's very cool to see and it's not something you see on most guys in the gym.

It's a very good read though and inexpensive.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1587361167"]Amazon.com: Kelso's Shrug Book: Paul Kelso: Books[/ame]