Best 40 yard dash workouts?

tshaw024

Awards
I currently lift legs once a week and do my sprints 3 times a week. Any successful recommendations to run different splits? Also any better results from parachute training, band workouts, or weighted running? Not sure which direction I want to go, but I need to cut about .2 off my 40 time.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
stretch.

work on your starts.

check out defrancostraining.com

MPFit

MPFit

Awards
  • Established
parachute training is good for this, mostly short term.. do a schute 40 then run a non schute 40, should be slightly faster than what your used to

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
sled's are a lot better. imo

i found parachutes to be quite awkward and use less

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Most of it is obvious. Quads, hams, calves. One everyone seems to neglect...hip flexors.

brettly

Awards
In the gym, work on explosive power. Outside, as mentioned before, your best bet is probably to do a ton of sled work over varying distances. Also as mentioned, don't overlook flexibility. A better range of motion will optimize your running technique. You might even want to look into getting some ART done for ROM and injury prevention too.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
In the gym, work on explosive power. Outside, as mentioned before, your best bet is probably to do a ton of sled work over varying distances. Also as mentioned, don't overlook flexibility. A better range of motion will optimize your running technique. You might even want to look into getting some ART done for ROM and injury prevention too.
wow two great things mentioned there.

I can't believe i didn't mention flexibility.

Stretch your friggen butt off.

and ART is fantastic stuff.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
Any kind of horizontal training (broad jumps, chute sprints, accelerated run, etc.)

deadikated

Awards
  • Established
I currently lift legs once a week and do my sprints 3 times a week. Any successful recommendations to run different splits? Also any better results from parachute training, band workouts, or weighted running? Not sure which direction I want to go, but I need to cut about .2 off my 40 time.
Resistance training helps to a degree...but there are studies shown that too much resistance can inhibit the stride rate, and the brain will possibly inhibit the motion later without resistance. In other words, it gets used to a certain rate of strides at resistance, and makes that rate a habit when resistance is removed. Try overspeed training, where resistance is suddenly released during running. If you don't have access to equipment, you can try running downhill. It gets the body used to running faster than its accustomed, and preps it for increasing speed.

Pushing/pulling sleds or cars is good for conditioning and leg drive. Squats are shown to be highly correlated to sprint speed per research.

Technique is also an aspect you don't want to overlook. Form running is a big part of speed, and it helps to film yourself or have someone film you so you can correct inconsistencies. If you can manage, try having someone drive in front of you while holding a large mirror so you can watch yourself as you run and correct it immediately. This sounds extreme, and complicated...and it is. But if you're serious about it...it's worth it.

Power cleans, snatches are also great for explosion and hip power.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
I would avoid weighted running altogether. It throws your form off completely, and that stands for most every sport, not just running.

deadikated

Awards
  • Established
I would avoid weighted running altogether. It throws your form off completely, and that stands for most every sport, not just running.
I would avoid making it my primary running mode. But I would not avoid it "altogether."

It serves a purpose...but like anything else...too much of it doesn't quite give you the same benefit.

It's like if you always do the same movement for your chest, or your back, or your shoulders. If all you ever do is bench press, pull downs, and lateral raises, you won't get nearly the same results as if you threw in some dumbell incline presses, flyes, rows, deadlifts, military presses, and shrugs.

By no means commit to only one mode of training, or one exercise...but don't neglect something that works either.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Plyo box jumps

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
I would avoid making it my primary running mode. But I would not avoid it "altogether."

It serves a purpose...but like anything else...too much of it doesn't quite give you the same benefit.

It's like if you always do the same movement for your chest, or your back, or your shoulders. If all you ever do is bench press, pull downs, and lateral raises, you won't get nearly the same results as if you threw in some dumbell incline presses, flyes, rows, deadlifts, military presses, and shrugs.

By no means commit to only one mode of training, or one exercise...but don't neglect something that works either.
I don't think the analogy full transfers to weightlifting, because it's not like changing exercises will throw off your form on the original ones. It's too touchy of a subject for me to go anywhere near ankle weights, weighted insoles, etc.

deadikated

Awards
  • Established
I don't think the analogy full transfers to weightlifting, because it's not like changing exercises will throw off your form on the original ones. It's too touchy of a subject for me to go anywhere near ankle weights, weighted insoles, etc.
Ankle weights can be quite detrimental if used too much.

But if you don't like that analogy...perhaps you can related treadmill running to actual running. Too much treadmill running is actually bad for the knees in average height individuals, because it requires people to run with their feet tight and narrow. Now, this doesn't imply that people run zig zag or sumo straddled or anything like that...it just causes people run more narrow and force their gait from what it normally is, which can cause musculoskeletal inconsistencies.

The principle, however, still applies, that if something has a purpose, use it within reason. While treadmills may cause damage if used too much, I wouldn't refrain from using one if it meant avoiding cardio in the rain.

Jax11

Awards
aside from training the technical aspect of the 40, emphasize working on the posterior chain, especially hamstrings which are often overlooked for the asthetics of quads...utilize uni-lateral exercises like split squats, lunges, step-ups etc. along with max effort compound movements like squat and deadlift variations. working hip flexors/abductors will help & core work is needed...get stronger first and u'll see results..for running stick w/ sprints, sled drags, prowler or plate pushes, hollow sprints, build-ups etc...remember to allow urself time2 recover

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
this kid hasn't even been on here since we've posted any of this....

i like the convo though

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
I agree with whoever was saying not to do weighted sprints.. it really does change the way you stride and if sprinting is your primary concern i wouldn't utilize it..

squats and plyometrics both helped me substantially.. oh and whatever the machine is where you lean about 45 degrees forward and put your weight on your elbows/forearms and push backwards against resistance with both legs is something I really liked.. I have no clue what it's called and it's hard to describe (the only two i've ever seen is one in my home gym and one on the espn documentary about tomlinson's training haha).

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
oh and whatever the machine is where you lean about 45 degrees forward and put your weight on your elbows/forearms and push backwards against resistance with both legs is something I really liked.. I have no clue what it's called
Power runner.

Esox Express

Esox Express

Awards
  • Established
Whatever you do, be sure to start off with a good warm-up (at least 10-15 minute jog) and dynamic stretching.

I recommend Plyometrics, explosive lifts (Clean & Jerk, Snatch), and sprints on a slight downhill slope to lengthen the stride. You will also want to do hip flexor exercises, and finish with long-held static stretches.

The problem with lack of speed usually lies in stride length, rather than leg strength.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
Whatever you do, be sure to start off with a good warm-up (at least 10-15 minute jog) and dynamic stretching.

I recommend Plyometrics, explosive lifts (Clean & Jerk, Snatch), and sprints on a slight downhill slope to lengthen the stride. You will also want to do hip flexor exercises, and finish with long-held static stretches.

The problem with lack of speed usually lies in stride length, rather than leg strength.
which (as i've always been taught) is part of the reason sleds are so good. You have to lean forward, like you should in a proper sprint technique, and you have to (usually) have good long strides to really get that weight moving fast...

11wcody

Awards
what helped me was uphill running and making my form better

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
you're not talking about sleds right sir?
No, I wasn't really referring to sleds, more so ankle weights. I admit I don't know a whole lot about the benefits of a sled, since there's really no way I can use one.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
No, I wasn't really referring to sleds, more so ankle weights. I admit I don't know a whole lot about the benefits of a sled, since there's really no way I can use one.
i agree completely on ankle weights.

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
I agree with the above advice, but since it hasn't been mentioned, I thought I'd add the idea of working on your arm drive. Granted, it is not quite as important as working the primary movers of the lower body, but training them could give you an added edge.

The two exercises that I'd recommend are standing and seated arm swings (youtube examples below). The way that I was taught to use them was to progress through three speeds in a set: slow, medium, and fast. After you have gotten through this progession once, you can cycle through the speeds as you see fit. You can vary both the duration and the order until you are finished with the remainder of the set. I think about a 30 sec time frame would be enough for one set.

Here are a few helpful (albeit cheesy) demos:
YouTube - Standing Arm Action
YouTube - Seated Running Arms

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
I agree with the above advice, but since it hasn't been mentioned, I thought I'd add the idea of working on your arm drive. Granted, it is not quite as important as working the primary movers of the lower body, but training them could give you an added edge.

The two exercises that I'd recommend are standing and seated arm swings (youtube examples below). The way that I was taught to use them was to progress through three speeds in a set: slow, medium, and fast. After you have gotten through this progession once, you can cycle through the speeds as you see fit. You can vary both the duration and the order until you are finished with the remainder of the set. I think about a 30 sec time frame would be enough for one set.

Here are a few helpful (albeit cheesy) demos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RKVRN1dmqQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ0S6fpzXlk&feature=PlayList&p=FEB7164679628251&index=23
uh we had to do those exercises in track....
i hated it....

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
bounding

russianstar

Awards
  • Established
I hope no one minds me dropping in some ideas here, i have represented russia in european and world youth meetings, i have a best 100metre time of 10.66, wich granted isnt mind blowing, but i am white and i ran that when i was 16, i would have pursued athletics properly but i made a stupid decision that ruined my chances..Anyway to cut a long story short, i used hill sprints to train, i would jog down and sprint up 5 x over a 150 metre distance, then i would jog for 50 metres and while on the run burst into a sprint, as i ascended the hill, i would do this 8 times, 4 times a week, and mix it in with flat running, never ever use ankle weights, it can do TERRIBLE damage to your shins and knees, and weaken your hamstrings, you can try explosive jumps too, jumping from a box onto the ground then springing straight up as high as you can, this is great for strengthening the fast twitch fibers.
These are my suggestions, and im no expert, but they worked for me.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
also remember, if you're training for football, it's not so much how fast you are, it's how explosive you are. how fast can you get to top speed?

work on your explosion and you'll get faster. but as everyone else said, also work on your long range speed (not as much as you rarely go over those 10-15 yards that you really need to be explosive in) and most important, your flexibility. if you can get your muscles long and limber, it'll help you get stronger, and help that strength translate over to your speed.

Cogrick2

Awards
I appreciate all of the great ideas suggested here. I have not tried many of them, but the arm drive exercises and uphill running make sense. My track coach in high school said that downhill running was acceptable training as long as one does not hold back (inhibit speed). Inhibiting your speed was said to be bad for the bones, possibly because of excessive shock.

On the supplement side, I also recommend creatine since studies seem to generally supports its value for explosive power.

I have a sprinting competition in about six weeks and am considering either "The One" by Applied Nutraceuticals (with PCT) and/or Jungle Warfare by ALRI. My goal is to build strength and LBM and lose BF.

Any thoughts?

russianstar

Awards
  • Established
Creatine does help, but i only found mono to help with speed, be carefull with a dht based steroid as it can slow down collagen synthesis, even though there is now real evidence im aware of to prove it, it can cause tendon and joint problems, like winstrol can.. i think turanabol or h-drol would be a much better alternative, or boldelone.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
I hope no one minds me dropping in some ideas here, i have represented russia in european and world youth meetings, i have a best 100metre time of 10.66, wich granted isnt mind blowing, but i am white and i ran that when i was 16, i would have pursued athletics properly but i made a stupid decision that ruined my chances..Anyway to cut a long story short, i used hill sprints to train, i would jog down and sprint up 5 x over a 150 metre distance, then i would jog for 50 metres and while on the run burst into a sprint, as i ascended the hill, i would do this 8 times, 4 times a week, and mix it in with flat running, never ever use ankle weights, it can do TERRIBLE damage to your shins and knees, and weaken your hamstrings, you can try explosive jumps too, jumping from a box onto the ground then springing straight up as high as you can, this is great for strengthening the fast twitch fibers.
These are my suggestions, and im no expert, but they worked for me.
Nice dude. I'm a big fan of explosive jumps too. How is The One working to improve you in terms of athleticism and speed/quickness? I'm pretty interested when I come of age, hope it won't be banned by that time =/