Bulking body, or cut? (PIC) - AnabolicMinds.com

Bulking body, or cut? (PIC)

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  153 lbs.

Bulking body, or cut? (PIC)

I haven't been lifting long, (obviously) but i wanted to make sure i took the right route. I've been trying to bulk, because i think i need to put on some muscle, but when i look at myself i feel i need to cut...What do you think i should go for? I'm 5'7, 150lbs. Bench 185, squat 245. http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a26...wner/fghgh.jpg

My goal would be to look like this. http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a26...65332_7686.jpg But, with my body type i know that won't happen and i also know it's bad to try and look like someone else. So, i suppose my goal would be to have a good size with about 9-10% body fat to see definition.

Back pic (not flexed) http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a26...er/nonamef.jpg

2. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

i think bulk a little first. not a ton, but 5-8lbs
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  195 lbs.

First bulk, then cut.

It won't happen over night though. You need to stick to your diet and be determined in the gym to achieve your goals.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  153 lbs.

I added a pic. (my back)

Should my diet just be high in protein and moderate carbs/fats? This way i put on weight slowly?
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

well you have some muscle I mean at 5'7 153 you probably could put on 10 lbs or so but you need to maybe change you training routine what is your current routine?
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.

Bulk for a lil while then cut it also depends on your long term goals if your doing this for a certain sport or just to be inshape or bodybuilding even, it really depends on your long term goals.
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  182 lbs.

bulk.. esp to upper chest and traps
    your delts have good definition compared to the rest of ya
    focus more on heavy core lifts like squat, bench, military/push press, and dead lifts (straight leg and regular)
    the deads will help with the traps
    and for middle back do barbell/t-bar rows to add some thickness
    other than that size and definition will come in time and its up to your diet to determine how much size you gain
    but i would say bulk first because you dont want to look "skinny fat"
    lay down some more fat burning muscle and cut later cause you will lose a little size when you cut
    CURRENT 2014 Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/old-school-hormone/252748-cherry-poppin-test.html
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  258 lbs.

Not to sound too generic as its everyones question but whats your diet like right now? You arent very far off from your goal it looks like. may somewhere between 8-12 lbs dry on and about 5% bf or so maybe. Bulk first then cut with a recomp style of cutting in mind. Wont be quick but you could easily look as cut/buff as that guy or a little more.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  153 lbs.

Currently, I've been trying to bulk, but really haven't put on much. I used to weigh 142lbs and looked worse in my opinion...Smaller chest and same weird stomach with unwanted bf.

Currently, i eat about 2500 calories a day, maybe less. On workout days I'll try to eat a little more to make up for calories burned. (around 150-200) This Friday I'll find out if i gained a pound from eating 2500 a day. Usually, i stick around 2000 calories, so i increased by 500 a day to roughly put on 1lb a week. Maybe it's possible i'm not eating enough, maybe too much?

My diet is fairly good, but i eat low on carbs. Breakfast is 1 cup of oatmeal, protein shake with 2 tbsp of natural PB. 620 calorie breakfast.

For a snack later I'll have some peanuts or almonds. Then, I'll some oatmeal before i workout, then when I'm done with my workout I'll have another protein shake with a medium banana added. 220 calories total 0g of fat, 25g protein. About 2 hours later I'll eat a chicken breast sandwich with maybe a little rice. (on pita) Then, for later at night I'll have a salad with chicken breast, or maybe a side of beef and vegetables.

In general, i think i have more fats than carbs in a day. I kept carbs low, because i thought that was better for fat loss...

I do full body workouts 3 days a week. A typical Monday would be: Squats, bench press, pull ups, triceps. Wed, Dips, lat pulldown bb row, traps. Friday: Squats, incline dumbbell press, pull ups, upright row, biceps. I do HIIT cardio on Tuesday and Thursday followed with abs. The weekend is my rest time.

I was thinking about doing crossfitt training on Tuesday and Thursday instead. What do you think about that?
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.

I would up those calories even more. Maybe 3-3.5k per day and keep the protein high.

Instead of a full body 3x per week you may want to do a traditional push/pull routine unless your a new lifter.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  153 lbs.

I like doing squats on chest day, i really feel like i get a good workout.

Also, what is this hype about crossfit? Do you think i can incorporate it on tuesday and thursdays?
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.

X2 on the push/pull workout, I have a extreme hard time gaining anything but fat, but I started a push/pull/legs workout about 2 months ago and the results have been great, I am not sure if I lost or gained weight because I almost never weigh myself, but I look much leaner and my arms and back have both gotten bigger, now I just need to work on my chest I just can't get it to grow.

*69th post, and I know I am way to old to find it funny but oh well
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by pfafkl13 View Post
    I would up those calories even more. Maybe 3-3.5k per day and keep the protein high.

Instead of a full body 3x per week you may want to do a traditional push/pull routine unless your a new lifter.
    yea def up those cals at least 1000 above maint and you need to account more for your workouts more like 500-600 if you workout for 45-1hr then you probably burn about 500 cals or so and dont be afraid of carbs they are your friend just make sure you eat complex carbs and fat gain will be minimum and if your worried about it you can always get a nutrient partitioner like Anabolic pump or neovar that way your carbs go to muscle not fat
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  213 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

I'd say forget trying to be cut for this summer and just do a clean bulk for the rest of the year. Come early next year you should be ready to do a nice cut. JMO.
    Remember why you started.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  153 lbs.

This is my current routine:

Monday:
    Bench Press
    Squats
    Pull ups
    Triceps (CG Bench press)

Wednesday:
    Dips/Push ups
    Lat Pull downs
    BB Rows
    Traps

Friday:
    Squats
    Incline db Bench
    Upright row
    Chin ups/Cable rows
    Biceps

3x8-4x6 for compound movements 3x12+ for isolation. Any day calve work.

Got anything better? I thought this hit all the basic compound movements pretty well and would be effective...I used to do deads, but hurt my back. So, i just do more squats.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  293 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by someguy1984 View Post
    This is my current routine:

Monday:
    Bench Press
    Squats
    Pull ups
    Triceps (CG Bench press)

Wednesday:
    Dips/Push ups
    Lat Pull downs
    BB Rows
    Traps

Friday:
    Squats
    Incline db Bench
    Upright row
    Chin ups/Cable rows
    Biceps

3x8-4x6 for compound movements 3x12+ for isolation. Any day calve work.

Got anything better? I thought this hit all the basic compound movements pretty well and would be effective...I used to do deads, but hurt my back. So, i just do more squats.
    For a bulking phase, I'd advise adding a fourth day to your routine and hitting each core lift twice a week.

I'd also probably avoid doing squats with any other core lifts as you are doing right now on Mondays. If you're doing this exercise to appropriate depth and to failure this will take a lot out of a beginning weightlifter.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  153 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JDK5386 View Post
    For a bulking phase, I'd advise adding a fourth day to your routine and hitting each core lift twice a week.

I'd also probably avoid doing squats with any other core lifts as you are doing right now on Mondays. If you're doing this exercise to appropriate depth and to failure this will take a lot out of a beginning weightlifter.
    I wouldn't really call myself a beginner though...I've come a long way and don't get too worn out from doing squat and bench on the same day...I heard it's good to release a lot of testosterone when lifting anyway. What better than squats and bench press on the same day?

I used to get sore squatting 95lbs and now I'm up to 245...So, i think the beginner phase is through.

Isn't more not always better? Your saying do bench press twice a week? How would your routine look? I'm a little confused...
  18. New Member

I'd eat clean and just do a lot of cardio and lifting and see what happens. I make gains "bulking" or "cutting" I just eat clean as possible and I look like that second picture. Your bodyfat looks fairly high IMO (relative to your frame, not saying you are a fatass) and you will probably make the same strength gains if you cleaned it up and did more cardio. If you bulked up like 10 lbs the net result would be negligible because it would probably be mostly fat and water anyway and the muscle mass you would have built regardless.
  19. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.

Depends on your goal, the guy in the second pic( your goal) isnt big or massive, but he obviously has great conditioning. If you want to be ALOT bigger, do what the others say and do some sort of a lean bulk, but it sounds like you care more about the "cut" look more than anything. If that is so, recomp down, and deal with the "slower" gains @ that lower BF, this being a result from the cardio, and your diet, but then again you'll be cut. Its a decision you'll have to make.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.

lean bulk, you got lotsa room
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-10-2010, 11:51 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-04-2009, 01:34 PM
  3. maintain low body fat bulking?? help
    By sportf190 in forum Nutrition / Health