20 rep squat routine

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
I'm interested in the 20 rep routine for squats. I was gonna use it as a replacement for my normal legs day (5x5). Now, every routine that I've read about is 1x20 squat, some pullovers and a bunch of press exercises.

Is it unwise to do 1x20 squat, 3x7 lunges, 3x7 leg extensions, 3x7 leg curls and some calve work? Im just looking for a solid routine to give me some more leg power, muscular endurance, and of course bigger legs.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Tom Platz swore by 20 rep leg sets. in the 80's, this kind of leg development was unheard of.

tmilam

Awards
I've done it and it SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!! You better do some serious calorie intake with this workout. It would be interesting to see how you felt about doing the lunges, leg extensions, leg curls, and calf workout after doing this. Take a garbage can when you go, as you will likely throw up at some point, and make sure you have a workout partner to protect you from injury and maintain motivation. Do a lot of research on this workout, as it is out there to be studied and learned.

repmks

repmks

Awards
  • Established
id hate to burst the bubble,, tom platz had one secret for his legs..... genetics. squats definitely build thighs like nothing else though.

striad

Awards
Just as tmilam siad, it is awful. We would do 3-4 sets of 20 reps and both me and my workout partner would throw up every time. I have to say though, I added some good size to my whole body during those 3 months.

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
I do 20 rep DC-style "widowmakers" at the end of my leg routine. This is done right after a higher weight, lower rep set. They burn, man... but I love them. Give it a shot!

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
I do 20 rep DC-style "widowmakers" at the end of my leg routine. This is done right after a higher weight, lower rep set. They burn, man... but I love them. Give it a shot!
yeah i was about to say i do a dc variation....still use the widowmakers tho....the 20 rep sets definately add to the workout but i wouldnt use them as the basis of your workout....you still need those heavy working sets

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
If you do the 20 rep squat routine as it is laid out, you will increase your power and size. And I doubt seriously that you would be able to complete the other leg movements you are talking about. This is a brutally hard routine, but worth it imo. The last time I ran it I gained a solid 10lbs. Calorie intake was ridiculous and there were a few close calls in the gym like blacking out and loosing my lunch. My guess is if you run it the way it is supposed to be run you will like the results in the end.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
Im gonna try 1x20 squats, 3x7 extensions, 3x7 leg curls, and some calves. Im already dreading it just thinking about it. Im gonna try it out next week.......i'll semi-log it here to let yall know how it goes.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
i finish squat days with 20 rep widowmakers many times

makes a perfect challenge to both the mind and the body

cant say much for how well it works or anything but then again i cannot pin point any exercise that works wonders.. my advice do widowmakers 20rep final set for a month on leg days then take a month off, and see the comparison etc

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
I want those legs - 20rep squat here I come (again)! :whip:

310lifter

310lifter

Awards
man, what a monster...it appears initially around rep 5 that there is no way he'll make 23.

he's wincing a bit and what not.

then look at how strong he is towards the end...he's just on rhythm.

i have so much trouble getting past 12-14 reps...this is using 135lbs, which is pathetic.

how much lighter can i go before it's too light and not worth doing?

this takes serious power and lung capacity.

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
That Platz vid is just insane!!!
Mooch,.. those numbers rock!!!

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
man, what a monster...it appears initially around rep 5 that there is no way he'll make 23.

he's wincing a bit and what not.

then look at how strong he is towards the end...he's just on rhythm.

i have so much trouble getting past 12-14 reps...this is using 135lbs, which is pathetic.

how much lighter can i go before it's too light and not worth doing?

this takes serious power and lung capacity.
310lifter, we're about the same weight and height. I can do 135x20 easy, but it took me a bit to get there - I had to build up my endurance. I started doing 20 rep squats as follows:
* no weights
* empty bar (about 45 lbs)
* 95 lbs
* 135 lbs
* 185 lbs

Just today I started doing 20 rep squats again, and did everything above except the 185 lbs - I could only get 8 reps out, I got tired.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
i started my 20 reps today. I was conservative and only put on 135 for 20. It was relatively easy. Im gonna bump it up to 185 next time. I didnt have any problems getting stuck or cheesin reps, but i was super light headed when i got done!

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
i started my 20 reps today. I was conservative and only put on 135 for 20. It was relatively easy. Im gonna bump it up to 185 next time. I didnt have any problems getting stuck or cheesin reps, but i was super light headed when i got done!
the orginal way is to start at 70% of yer max and add 5lbs evey leg workout
untill u 20 rep ur old max. then start over find new max and proceed higher

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
the orginal way is to start at 70% of yer max and add 5lbs evey leg workout
untill u 20 rep ur old max. then start over find new max and proceed higher
this is correct. but you dont start over right away, supposed to wait about six weeks or so. i am considering running this program myself. Good luck buddy, that sh!t is brutal.

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
so this program you guys are talking about is just high reps...there no heavy sets....doesnt seem like a great way to get 30 inch legs unless youve got genetics like platz

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
so this program you guys are talking about is just high reps...there no heavy sets....doesnt seem like a great way to get 30 inch legs unless youve got genetics like platz
i have no idea what program they are referring too

i would do my normal squat routine workout then finish off with widowmakers aka 20reps at the highest weight i could, usually 135 hah i think i did 185 once and its a struggle

gonna locate some of my workouts ill edit this in a sec

just for ref, this was during my rehabbing numbers are low hah
Code:
Squats
135x8
185x4
225x4 (+40lbs from last time)
245x2 (testing waters was ez +60lbs)
135x20 widowmakers
Code:
Squats
205x13 max
185x14 max
-messed up squatting misread what i did last time, either way im still improving

Widowmakers
145x20 (+10lbs)

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
this is how i do mine....i do a dc variation....i have a great partner so i actually rest/pause my squats....this what i did saturday
squats-
135-10
225-10
315-10
365-10/4/3 rest/pause
245-21

so there is really only two working sets in there for squats....i only do 6 working sets total....

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
this is how i do mine....i do a dc variation....i have a great partner so i actually rest/pause my squats....this what i did saturday
squats-
135-10
225-10
315-10
365-10/4/3 rest/pause
245-21

so there is really only two working sets in there for squats....i only do 6 working sets total....
i wish i could move those numbers. good job mooch.

i got f-d over genetically..........both sides......:(

i still beat the shite out of my legs......1-1.5 hours........

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
i wish i could move those numbers. good job mooch.

i got f-d over genetically..........both sides......:(

i still beat the shite out of my legs......1-1.5 hours........
dude...i weighed 135lbs at 5'9, four and a half years ago....i was 21 then....mother nature didnt do me any favors either....i have had to fight like hell for every pound brother....keep up the good fight man...it will come

Reactions: oli
Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
dude...i weighed 135lbs at 5'9, four and a half years ago....i was 21 then....mother nature didnt do me any favors either....i have had to fight like hell for every pound brother....keep up the good fight man...it will come

6.5" wrists

7.85" ankles

i know there are smaller out there, but not many. lol

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
just measured....my wrists are 6 3/4....ankles are 9 inches tho...yep...no denyin it...you got ****ed.....lol

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
just measured....my wrists are 6 3/4....ankles are 9 inches tho...yep...no denyin it...you got ****ed.....lol
thanks... you b astard..............j/k bro

lol......

mom and dads side BOTH had twigs............ all 4 grandparents did me dirty, no lie.

im gonna try the 20 rep tomorrow. see if i can pass out or puke

shyguy1

shyguy1

Awards
I did a program about half a year ago or so where I did 20rep squats, 15rep deads, and 10rep bench. I made tremendous gains but you have to basically buy a costco and get tons of rest. If your interested i did a log, just search for it through my name. I listed everything.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
365 for 10 is great. i usually get that for 8-9. I go ass to grass, alot of guys dont. The 20 rep program is wicked oldschool, alot of people say it is for newbs because it puts mass on all over quick, however, when done after you are experienced, the benefits are huge. you start the routine, at WHATEVER your ten rep max is for 20. so if you get 315 for 10, you start there and add five pound every other day. in six weeks that is 90 lbs, and you should be doing your 3-5 rep max, for reps of 10. now you se how that would get you 30 in thighs?

warriors34

Awards
would doing 20 reps 185 pounds be worth it? or should i up it to 205?
(keep in mind im only 14 :D:D)

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
would doing 20 reps 185 pounds be worth it? or should i up it to 205?
(keep in mind im only 14 :D:D)
Its NOT about the weight, it is the amount of effort put forth.. It is about using a weight that is HEAVY for YOU, and hard as hell. A weight where by 10 you are asking your self how the **** you can go on, and still grinding out 20(or more). If that is 185, so be it.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Its NOT about the weight, it is the amount of effort put forth.. It is about using a weight that is HEAVY for YOU, and hard as hell. A weight where by 10 you are asking your self how the **** you can go on, and still grinding out 20(or more). If that is 185, so be it.
Exactly. I am currently running this, andthe horrors are real. It is all about the weight that is heavy for you. If your ten rep max is 185, start there. if its 205, start there. its all about mentally preparing yourself, you ar eabout to attempt double reps, of something you bareley get ten of. Make sure your form is spot fukcin on as well.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
This is exactly how I have done it in the past. :bandit:

warriors34

Awards
iight thanks, im gonna do 225 on friday and see how that is lol

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Ugh 20 reppers last night....I'm hobbling around today...

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
nice off to to legs myself, not sure what kinda workout ill do but my last 2 workouts where

squats
135x5
225x3
315x2
365x1 NEW PR
225x5 small rest then another 225x5
135x10 was gonna go for 20 but i was dead

squats easy day just working on endurance
95x5
135x10
225x5x5x5x5

just sharing, not sure what im gonna do today i guess depends on how i feel, i gotta rush my workout too ill def do some widows though

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i'm going to do a set of widows today. i'm shooting for 205x20, since last time i did 185x20. by rep 14 i had to start taking deep breaths and loger breaks to get my energy levels back up.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
alright i gotta brag, huffing and puffing typing this just got 2 new personal records in a row too hah

squats
135x5
135x5
225x5
275x2
315x1
375x1 PR
225x20 PR

-only like 30s rest btw 1rep max and widows

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I will be doing 20 reppers in about 45 min. got to put on my game face.:scared:

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Just did DC style today.....

210 x 25 (fairly easy. I underestimated myself)

Next week, i think im gonna try (no, im gonna do!) 225lbs

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Just did DC style today.....

210 x 25 (fairly easy. I underestimated myself)

Next week, i think im gonna try (no, im gonna do!) 225lbs
you'll get it. I did 245 for 20 last nite. yikes.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
Yikes, I got mad DOMS today...did widows for the first time last night.

135 x 12
225 x 10
315 x 10
335 x 8
365 x 5
225 x 20

I could go higher on the widows next time...didn't die too bad, but man am I sore today!

Going to throw those on the end from now on.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Yikes, I got mad DOMS today...did widows for the first time last night.

135 x 12
225 x 10
315 x 10
335 x 8
365 x 5
225 x 20

I could go higher on the widows next time...didn't die too bad, but man am I sore today!

Going to throw those on the end from now on.
Widows are the best, and at the same time, the absolute fukcin worst!

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
225x20,... previous best 185x20 at the end of last year. I wanna thank you guys for the motivation,.. really gotta prep your mind for these!!!!