Gain weight, but lose flexability and stamina?

someguy1984

Awards
So, I'm currently in the process of trying to gain some weight, but i want to stay in running shape. Since I'm joining the military, i just want to make sure i can complete my PT test within time. Currently, I'm ahead by a good margin.

I need to run 1.5 miles in 12:20, which isn't bad for me now. (I average 10mins)

Since I've been bulking a bit, i only run 2 days a week, but for only 1.5 miles. I run 1.5 miles in 10mins, then i get off the treadmill and do abs. This is the only cardio/abs i do. (Twice a week) I figure, if i continue to do that, it "should" keep me in running shape and shouldn't be too much running to hurt my muscle gains...I lift 3 days a week, MWF, weekends off. (Cardio is Tues/Thurs)

Now, if i continue to gain weight, but run and include push ups into my routine, will getting heavier make me worse at these things?

For instance, if i add 10lbs before i leave, will i be a slower runner and do less push ups than i do now? (I will continue to incorporate push ups and all things i want to be good at in my workouts)

I'm just afraid that being a heavier/bigger person will make me worse at pull ups, running, push ups, etc...Is this true?

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Having been in the military and gaining weight in the process just focus on the running and lowering your 1.5 mile run time. You can improve your run time and still gain weight, especially only running 2X/week. What you have to realize is that in the military youll be running everyday(like i did in the army) so you need to build up your stamina. Maybe try and increase your run to 2 or 2.5 miles. If you can run 2mi in 12 or so minutes with the extra 10lbs your golden...Also the same for pushups, just work on tri strenth, and practice pullups ups. Ultra slow reps helped me alot when trying to increase the amount of pullups/pushups I could do.

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
oh, one more thing. continue to stretch all the time, if you have a free moment stretch. stretch as far as you can and hold it for 20-30seconds.

BignBad

Awards
So, I'm currently in the process of trying to gain some weight, but i want to stay in running shape. Since I'm joining the military, i just want to make sure i can complete my PT test within time. Currently, I'm ahead by a good margin.

I need to run 1.5 miles in 12:20, which isn't bad for me now. (I average 10mins)

Since I've been bulking a bit, i only run 2 days a week, but for only 1.5 miles. I run 1.5 miles in 10mins, then i get off the treadmill and do abs. This is the only cardio/abs i do. (Twice a week) I figure, if i continue to do that, it "should" keep me in running shape and shouldn't be too much running to hurt my muscle gains...I lift 3 days a week, MWF, weekends off. (Cardio is Tues/Thurs)

Now, if i continue to gain weight, but run and include push ups into my routine, will getting heavier make me worse at these things?

For instance, if i add 10lbs before i leave, will i be a slower runner and do less push ups than i do now? (I will continue to incorporate push ups and all things i want to be good at in my workouts)

I'm just afraid that being a heavier/bigger person will make me worse at pull ups, running, push ups, etc...Is this true?
All you have to do is look at an NFL lineman...