Cutting back on bis! Will make them grow!!!?!?!?

rccratch

Awards
Hey all! So anyways in my spilt im currently working back and bis seperately.
So i have decided to drop my sets on bis to see if they will grow..What do yall think of this!

Monday-Chest and bis
Biceps-7 sets (compared to 9+sets)
3 sets barbell curls (10-8-6/4)
2 sets hammer curl (10-8)
2 sets 1 hand preacher (10/8-6/4)

Friday-Back
WEighted pull ups
Weighted Close grip pull ups
Bentover rows
machine rows
deads

Yall think this is too much to little or what? I appreciate the input!

rccratch

Awards
Thanks for all the helpful input!.......oh wait....

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
Truthfully, I think the deadlifts, and weighted pull ups will do the most for your bi's, and in that order.
(With the thinking that deadlifts will promote overall growth and size).

rccratch

Awards
so u think i should reduce direct bi work even more. Thanks man!

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
You use alot of biceps on back day. Try switching to back/bi's
Then chest/tri's
Try to hold sets for each body part to around 8/10

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
is ur diet on track? What I mean is your protien intake. Everything grows slower when you dont eat enough. You could use the routine you provided, but big arms are 75% triceps. So throwing in biceps on your chest day, you are neglecting your triceps. If you really want to work on your biceps, throw in some pull-ups or you could even train your biceps after chest/tri's.......that is if you have all day to spend in the gym.

rccratch

Awards
Yea my split is like this.
Monday-Chest and Bi's
(heavy chest)

Tuesday-Legs

Weds-off

Thursday -Dynamic Benching (lights bench with bands) and tris
-Tris 8-9 sets
Dips (weighted)
Pushdowns
Skull crushers
-mix it up time to time

Friday-Back

Saturday-Shoulders
Sunday-off

My protien intake is a lot. Im 6'2.5 and wieigh a bit over 220. My bench is pretty good around 370 and squat it a bit over that. I dont dead heavy cause of my back. But everything seems to be inproportion except my bis. I havent really cared too much because its not a major muscle...but lately i would just like to see them grow a bit more

rccratch

Awards
But my ultimate question is when doing back and bis seperately, what is a good amount of bi work the doesnt overtrain. Would 4-6 sets be good, i have been doing 9 or more

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ya cutting back on them may in fact help them grow...i got good growth last year at one point when i cut back on arms during a semi upper/lower split just by doing more compound movements

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
for the volume question it is very dependent on many things(rest food etc) but also a lot comes down to ur personal body chemistry and recovery...i always do bis separate from back and tris separate from chest and do 10+ sets on each quite often

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Truthfully, I think the deadlifts, and weighted pull ups will do the most for your bi's, and in that order.
(With the thinking that deadlifts will promote overall growth and size).
You think deads build Bis better than barbell curls?

rccratch

Awards
yea i love barbell curls.... I was thinking on bi days like 2-3 sets barbell, 2 sets hammer, and 2-1 sets one arm preacher curl

rccratch

Awards
I also am going to have to side with Pleonastic....Dead are an awsome compound move but i dont see them putting mass on the biceps. I could be wrong though????

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
deads help with test endogenous prodution

rccratch

Awards
oh okay yea i knew those along with squats do..thanks for the tip

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
You think deads build Bis better than barbell curls?
Yes I do, but not as a replacement.

I *think (my opinion) if you only did deadlifts over the course of 1 year vs doing only barbell curls over the course of 1 year, I think the deadlifter will have increased their overall bodymass more, which will result in a bigger arm measurement. (The body tries to stay in homeostasis)

Anecdotally, I see guys who deadlift big weight have bigger arms on average than the guys I see primarily doing arm curls.

Don't get me wrong, I do arm curls...in fact, I currently do more arm curls than deadlifts, lol - but I got my best gains from doing very basic and heavy compound lifts like deadlift/squats/bench press/shoulder press/rows.

I've also heard a few other guys say their best arm gains were attributed to weighted chins. I hope to test that theory this spring/summer.

rccratch

Awards
yea im gonna give all this a shot.....5-6 sets of bis on monday-and back friday
barbell curls-2
hammer-2
preacher-1-1

friday
weighted chins
close grip pull ups
rows bent over
Deads
seated rows

Stallion83

Stallion83

Awards
  • Established
I like doing 3-4 sets of 21's. I think they are really good for splitting fibers.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
I like doing 3-4 sets of 21's. I think they are really good for splitting fibers.
What do you mean by splitting fibers?

I agree with the chins adding mass to your arms. I think a lot of people overwork the biceps and a little bit of reduction in volume could do you some good.

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
ive always liked my days split back one day chest one day and bis/tris one day thats how ive seen the most growth for me but its whatever works i hit deads and bench hard and heavy and do about 2 mass exercises for muscle so like bi's weighted chins, barbell curls and then iso movements at the end, and do the same thing for tris like close grip bench and dips, then iso and ive havent been this happy with my routine in awhile as long as you eat big you will grow big thats how i think of it but to the other question above doing deads will gain more overall mass than doin barbell curls for a year with the release of GH and testosterone flowing that takes the cake for sure

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
For bigger arms, you might want to consider having an Arm /calves day..

Bi's , shoulders then tri's (that order too)

I have found just grabbing heavy weights and doing alternate db curls works wonders... I mean basiclly strength training bicepts, as opposed to many higher rep sets (8-10 rep)

mine will go like: (alternate db curls- as alternating allows more cns concentration = more power to the contraction..)

warm up with ez bar, 20lbs on each side for 2 sets of 15 then;

45 x 8
55 x ~7
55 x ~5
55 ~5

I have slight varieation, as sometimes I do inclines, but it ammounts to making your body grow.
I started this routine by grabbing 10 more pounds on the db then I normally do, and getting like 3 reps..
next time I got 4..
then i had a really a really good workout day and got 6
..basicly, I picked a weight I more or less couldn't get 4 reps with if I tried, and made by arms rise to the challenge..

there are 10000 different ways to make the body grow.. but bottom line, they will adapt to the workload.. throw a huge shock in there for 3-4 weeks with really upping the weight (using alternating reps) and the response will come quick

lol- and forget deads for this one,.. you wont be able to hold the weights in your hands if you do.. squats maybe instead?

rccratch

Awards
so xtraflossy, you are only doing 4 sets of bis when you work them? I have started going heavy and am anxious to see the results on my bis.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
so xtraflossy, you are only doing 4 sets of bis when you work them? I have started going heavy and am anxious to see the results on my bis.
Well yes and no- 4 WORKING sets. I do 2 sets of warm up's on the ez
Trust me; if your putting everything into the heavy sets, you won't be up for much more anytime soon. And that's key.
If your going heavy right now, and following it by "only 4 sets", then your not going as heavy as I had in mind.
Find the weight you can only alternate curl for x4 (on each arm of course) and those are sets 3 and 4

I might end with really slow incline curls or incline hammers, but I can't get more then 6 reps slowly with 35's :laugh:

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do 10-15 sets for biceps easy. Start with heavy ass barbell curls then heavy ass dumbell curls and then keep going lighter on all the "less effective" moves. concentration curls incline bench curls and stuff like that.

I usually like to finish with cable 2 arm bar curls.

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
I also am going to have to side with Pleonastic....Dead are an awsome compound move but i dont see them putting mass on the biceps. I could be wrong though????
All basic compound movements (Deads, benches, squat) stimulate overall body growth. Without this, you can concentrate on each individual body part you want, and it will do no good. You won't grow 18' arms with 20 inch legs. Your body just does not allow this to happen. You want to get big......stick to your compound movements and don't focus entirely on individual body parts.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 24
delsolrob Anabolics 7
Supplements 13
Supplements 1
Weight Loss 9