Sleep...

RavensFan2k3

Awards
I was wondering how important is sleep. I sometimes get to bed to real late, especially friday nights. This past friday, I had a great workout, but I went out that night. I didnt get to bed till like 6am. But I also slept on and off till about 4pm. All in all it was about 8 hours, on and off. Does it matter WHEN I go to sleep, aslong as I am getting 6-8 hours of sleep?

purebred

pure speculation and hear say on my end but i've always heard sleep at night time is of much better quality.

Example:
getting 8.5 hours of sleep

1st scenario:
11pm - 7:30am
2nd scenario: 6am - 2:30pm

you're getting the same amount of sleep in both but if the theory i provided above is actually a fact (and i just don't know it), the first scenario would be more desirable and productive. either way :goodpost: i've always wanted to know this, too!

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
One thing you have to factor in is the amount of REM sleep you achieve. If the sleep is uninterrupted for the most part you should be in REM long enough to actually recover. If you are just sleeping an hour or two then waking up for a bit and going back to bed then you probably won't get the amount you need and you won't recover like you need to.

RavensFan2k3

Awards
pure speculation and hear say on my end but i've always heard sleep at night time is of much better quality.

Example:

1st scenario:

you're getting the same amount of sleep in both but if the theory i provided above is actually a fact (and i just don't know it), the first scenario would be more desirable and productive. either way :goodpost: i've always wanted to know this, too!
Yeah thats true. I think it has something to do with at night time is when cortisol levels are low and growth hormone is released.

One thing you have to factor in is the amount of REM sleep you achieve. If the sleep is uninterrupted for the most part you should be in REM long enough to actually recover. If you are just sleeping an hour or two then waking up for a bit and going back to bed then you probably won't get the amount you need and you won't recover like you need to.
True...I assume it was REM sleep because I had dreams.

AllMaxBrian

Awards
I was wondering how important is sleep. I sometimes get to bed to real late, especially friday nights. This past friday, I had a great workout, but I went out that night. I didnt get to bed till like 6am. But I also slept on and off till about 4pm. All in all it was about 8 hours, on and off. Does it matter WHEN I go to sleep, aslong as I am getting 6-8 hours of sleep?
In the long run, quality is going to have a bigger effect than the time - deep, REM sleep is the best for refreshing your mind, although growth hormone is released in stages three and four, which are not REM sleep - this is the "delta sleep" period.

RavensFan2k3

Awards
In the long run, quality is going to have a bigger effect than the time - deep, REM sleep is the best for refreshing your mind, although growth hormone is released in stages three and four, which are not REM sleep - this is the "delta sleep" period.
Which stage is the one where you have dreams?

So the quality(and amount) of sleep is more important that the time of day that one sleeps, correct? And I'm talking in terms of testosterone production, muscle recovery, repair, and growth.

slacker86

Awards
  • Established

So the quality(and amount) of sleep is more important that the time of day that one sleeps, correct? And I'm talking in terms of testosterone production, muscle recovery, repair, and growth.
I dont necessarily think that the time of day u goto sleep is as important as how much sleep you get. Rest is obviously needed for recovery and the more full cycles of sleep you get (was 3 hours for 1 cycle last time i read about it) the better. So ideally 9 hours if you can but 8 hours should suffice. I do however slightly disagree that what time of day u goto bed. For example you wake up at 8am workout go thru ur day and goto bed at 6am... I think it would probably be a little taxing on your body, however i dont have any research or proof of this its just my general feeling about the human body.

RavensFan2k3

Awards
I dont necessarily think that the time of day u goto sleep is as important as how much sleep you get. Rest is obviously needed for recovery and the more full cycles of sleep you get (was 3 hours for 1 cycle last time i read about it) the better. So ideally 9 hours if you can but 8 hours should suffice. I do however slightly disagree that what time of day u goto bed. For example you wake up at 8am workout go thru ur day and goto bed at 6am... I think it would probably be a little taxing on your body, however i dont have any research or proof of this its just my general feeling about the human body.
I mean it was just that one day because I ended up going out that night. It's a not on a regular basis. I went to sleep around 6am, but didnt even up getting outta bed till around 4pm.

AllMaxBrian

Awards
I mean it was just that one day because I ended up going out that night. It's a not on a regular basis. I went to sleep around 6am, but didnt even up getting outta bed till around 4pm.
Overall, I wouldn't sweat it that much if you're not making a habit of it and you're getting an adequate number of hours when you do. One day of compromised GH secretion isn't going to kill you. Plus, your T-levels will be elevated after working out anyway.

BignBad

Awards

Testosterone and GH are correlated to the time your in bed. If you don't get enough sleep, your body starts "stressing" and secreting extra cortisol which is catabolic. I would guess that your night gave you several hours of extra cortisol.

BignBad

Awards
Vitamin C (> 1.5g/day) will lower cortisol levels. So you might do that the next day. However, you MUST have the Vit C with no fat on the stomach.

RavensFan2k3

Awards
One problem I have is I can never sleep for along time without waking up. I'm always either waking up in the middle night or if not that, I wake up really early. I be wanting to sleep for a long time but I cant because my body always just wakes up...it's so annoying.

purebred

One problem I have is I can never sleep for along time without waking up. I'm always either waking up in the middle night or if not that, I wake up really early. I be wanting to sleep for a long time but I cant because my body always just wakes up...it's so annoying.
happens to me as well but i don't believe it's significantly affecting me in any way negatively as I'll tend to get up once throughout the night to go to the bathroom. that's about it though!

RavensFan2k3

Awards
Another thing...say one doesnt get enough sleep the night after a workout(ie. I worked out wednesday and didnt get any sleep wednesday night), was that workout a complete waste?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Example:

1st scenario:

there was a thread on this a few years back. Im not digging it up because Im too lazy. I think someone posted a study on why nighttime sleep is much better for you. i remember it simply dont remember all of it.

yes stay on your sleep cycle.

agreed you want deep uninterupted sleep every night if you dont get a certain amount every night the next day is effected someway or another.

nice.

Vitamin C (> 1.5g/day) will lower cortisol levels. So you might do that the next day. However, you MUST have the Vit C with no fat on the stomach.
nice.

happens to me as well but i don't believe it's significantly affecting me in any way negatively as I'll tend to get up once throughout the night to go to the bathroom. that's about it though!
yeah I got up last night and dont even remember what i did when i got up untill I see a box of crackers by my bed.

Another thing...say one doesnt get enough sleep the night after a workout(ie. I worked out wednesday and didnt get any sleep wednesday night), was that workout a complete waste?
depends on how good your sleep is..
not optimal sleep=not as optimal recovery
terrific sleep=terrific recovery..

cmc

cmc

Awards
Sleep is a very important part of the equation. The proper balance of diet/exercise and sleep make up the equation. Every one boasts about exercises, often the same with nutrition and supplements, but sleep may just be the most important part because thats where all of the growth happens.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree training has to be 100 %, nutrition 100 %, sleep 100 % each one is equally important.

heres a video ..the normal person needs a good 7-8. A hard training bodybuilder or an athelete has greater needs in my opinion. more like 8-10. depending on how good your recovery is. a person on super supplements might can get away with 7-8 hours because there recovery is enhanced. Thats still not a reason to skip sleep.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M6GhNDeHiI&feature=channel"]YouTube - The Stages of Sleep (Health Guru)[/ame]

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
How does your body know if its night or not? If ur set on a different scedule, your horomones would be released when u normally go to bed right?

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
IBE X-dream = amazing sleep. I never wake up at night with it, and wake up feeling like a million bucks.

RavensFan2k3

Awards
Sleep is a very important part of the equation. The proper balance of diet/exercise and sleep make up the equation. Every one boasts about exercises, often the same with nutrition and supplements, but sleep may just be the most important part because thats where all of the growth happens.
I agree training has to be 100 %, nutrition 100 %, sleep 100 % each one is equally important.

heres a video ..the normal person needs a good 7-8. A hard training bodybuilder or an athelete has greater needs in my opinion. more like 8-10. depending on how good your recovery is. a person on super supplements might can get away with 7-8 hours because there recovery is enhanced. Thats still not a reason to skip sleep.
I understand the importance of sleep. All I'm asking say you workout...and that night you dont get very much sleep(for whatever reason)...was that workout a waste? Did I not gain any muscle from that workout?

How does your body know if its night or not? If ur set on a different scedule, your horomones would be released when u normally go to bed right?

Thats another good question...

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I understand the importance of sleep. All I'm asking say you workout...and that night you dont get very much sleep(for whatever reason)...was that workout a waste? Did I not gain any muscle from that workout?

I tried and explained it the best I could. Of course the muscles repair also depend son adequate protein and nutrition.

In short the deeper, peaceful, longer sleep you get without waking up(or being woke up by noises) cycling though each stage of sleep, the better. every time you wake up it disrupts the stage your sleep cycles in.

snyper2k2

Awards
when you sleep even if its for 2 or 3 hrs. if when you wake up you feel like you slept longer than you did then it was good sleep

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.1; en-us; dream) AppleWebKit/525.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Mobile Safari/523.12.2

jtp217

jtp217

Awards

It doesn't. It knows awake and asleep. That's all it needs. I have a very weird schedule due to working a couple 7p-7a night shifts each week and having 3 classes on Tuesday and Thursday. As long as I can get 6-7 hours of sleep, I'm golden.

H8duke

H8duke

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Sleep and proper nutrition are the cornerstones for a muscle building.My sleep habits suck an always have.I can honestly say w/out any hesitation,that if I had better sleep habits,I would be bigger than I am.NO doubt. I've even tried prescription sleep aids,but to no avail.STRESS is a MOFO!

Cinn

Cinn

Awards
It doesn't. It knows awake and asleep. That's all it needs. I have a very weird schedule due to working a couple 7p-7a night shifts each week and having 3 classes on Tuesday and Thursday. As long as I can get 6-7 hours of sleep, I'm golden.

Actually, it does. Day and night(or more specifically, light and dark) play a huge role. Read up on the suprachiasmatic nucleus.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/1.0.154.53 Safari/525.19